Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I read somewhere he just wanted to spend more time with his family after coaching. I believed he could have coached for a few more years :thumbsu:
His wife is from the States - pretty sure I read he was planning to spend more time over there.

New Football Department Structure

“When Gubby left, it enabled us to make a big change from one management model to another,” Voss told The Courier Mail last week. Part of the new model included the promotion of existing Lions High Performance Manager Dan Collins to the new role of Chief Operating Officer (COO Football).

The Lions now begin an exciting search for someone to fill their newly created senior position of National Talent Manager which will report directly to Dan Collins. The role will include key responsibilities such as player recruitment and retention, list management, player development and the management of the newly formed Lions Academy.

This actually sounds like a *very* substantial structural change...

Also seems to explain why they use Slade for recruitment.

I hope due diligence was done in the recruitment tendering process...

A token nine day application window for the National Talent Manager role certainly implies that someone has already been flagged for the position.

What about Graeme Hadley? Seems to have done a good job over the past couple of years (even though 2008 was still mainly Gonzo in charge).

What are his noted wins? (Dalziell doesn't count)

Was Redden his find?

The Lions drafting has notably improved since Hadley has been in charge imo. All the guys he has picked have looked like goers and he has made some very smart selections. I would have liked us to improve our recruitment of older guys ala Fremantle but overall I think Hadley has been excellent.

The SA and WA guys he has taken have all looked particularly good and they are the ones he personally looks at. The Qld guys which I assume someone else has eyeballed mostly are more of a stretch but I am willing to give them a chance to show what they have got.

If Hadley is not appointed as National Talent Manager I think we are making a big mistake. The only thing against his appointment maybe if he wanted to be based outside Brisbane. With the academy you would think this would take up a fair bit of time for whoever is appointed and doing that based outside Brisbane might be difficult.

What are his noted wins? (Dalziell doesn't count)

Was Redden his find?

I know for a fact that he was one of the main drivers in selecting Rockliff over Davis and Cousins. So i would think that Rockliff would be one. Others would be Banfield and Redden, at the time both looked like real smokeys.

I happen to know a mate (A fellow recruiter) who happens to be very close mates with Graeme and from what i've heard he is a gun recruiter and that were very lucky to have him.

Edit: Hadley has been our WA recruiting manager for the past 5/6 years and has been also monitoring the SA recruits for the past 2 years or so until he was assigned to the recruiting manager.
Players from WA drafted under Hadley:
James Hawksley
Bradd Dalzeill
Daniel Rich
Matt Leuenberger
Todd Banfield
Keiran King

SA players:
Jack Redden

Impressive list of players. All of them, apart from King, have shown us that they are capable of being very good AFL players (yes, i consider Dalzeill a good player).

2009 National Draft:
Callum Bartlett
Ryan Harwood
Jesse O'Brien
Bryce Retzlaff
Matt Maguire

A very impressive list if you ask me.

A very impressive list if you ask me.

Certainly reads that way.

I wonder why the token advertising period for the role then...? Would've thought if they were happy with him, they'd just promote him. If they think they can do better then give applicants more than a week to apply.

I happen to know a mate (A fellow recruiter) who happens to be very close mates with Graeme and from what i've heard he is a gun recruiter and that were very lucky to have him.

Edit: Hadley has been our WA recruiting manager for the past 5/6 years and has been also monitoring the SA recruits for the past 2 years or so until he was assigned to the recruiting manager.
Players from WA drafted under Hadley:
Mitch Clark

Mitch Clark was drafted when Kinnear Beatson was in charge. Hadley would only have been in the role for 4 years or so. A couple of you know why I know this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Graeme Hadley?

Unless they are disolving his current role (as head of recruitment) as part of the restructure, I imagine he would not be in the running.

Recruiters are a funny breed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Hadley knock back the opportunity for more money/prestige if it involved less time travelling the country watching junior footy and more time sitting behind a desk, negotiating with slimy player agents and attending boring seminars on contract management etc...

He is probably very happy where he is.

There was a small article in yesterdays Herald Sun, stating that the lions, headed by Dan Collins and Vossy want Lynchy to take control of the clubs recruitment and list management position that they recently advised for. It also mentioned that Lynch has confirmed that he was approached and is weighing up his options.

Well i hope they recruit someone soon, to help retain Brennan and who ever else is coming out of contract.

Love the idea of an ex-agent sorting our contracts. He'll know all the tricks...

"C'mon Nixon... not the old transparent "go home" card... seen it all before son. You'll have to do better than that."

Lynchy would be a great option.

Yeah i saw an article in the courier a few days ago saying the same thing. The club is offering him a 'pass' on match day commitments so that he can still do his media work.

Hmm, not sure if I am down with that.

All in or nothing.

I would be rapt to have Lynchy with us....I also wouldn't mind if he is given a "pass"....as long as it doesn't conflict with our games, or keep him away for a couple of days each time..

We all need time away from our job though, different as this one may be to a normal job..

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back