Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Genuine selection dilemmas this week hard to drop players after an awesome win. But BJ and Pig have to play.

In: Goddard Hibberd
Out: J.Merrett Howlett

Harsh on Howlett but the other alternative Dell only played a qtr as sub so hard to drop him on his 6 touches in one qtr effort.

Melksham out of contention played alright today.

Winderlich/Fletch/Chappy don't need a rest as we have bye the week after.

Observations:

Western Bulldogs: Defeated top 8 candidates Gold Coast in Cairns by an impressive 5 goals, despite not having captain Ryan Griffen on the field. Jackson Macrae was in awesome touch, collecting 43 disposals, 7 inside 50's and 2 goals, and Will Minson was his dominant best, amassing 39 hitouts against Zac Smith.

Essendon: Put on the second defensive masterclass in as many weeks against old rivals Collingwood, restricting them to 2.6.18 at half time and 3.3.21 in the second half wasn't much better. Cale Hooker was his dominant best, keeping Cloke to 9 touches and 0 goals. Jake Carlisle was in rare form for this season, gathering 26 touches, 19 marks and 4 goals.

Head to head (last 5): Western Bulldogs 0-5 Essendon

Sportsbet odds:

Western Bulldogs: $2.95
Essendon: $1.37

Possible sides:

Western Bulldogs vs Essendon

B: Austin - Roughead - Picken
F: Carlisle - Daniher - Winderlich
HB: Murphy - Morris - Wood
HF: Chapman - Ambrose - Goddard
C: Stevens - Liberatore - Macrae
C: Zaharakis - Myers - Stanton
HF: Johannisen - Crameri - Stringer
HB: Hibberd - Fletcher - Dempsey
F: Dahlhaus - Redpath - Hrovat
B: Baguley - Hooker - Hurley
R: Minson - Griffen - Wallis
R: Ryder - Heppell - Hocking
I: Hrovat - Boyd - Darley
I: Colyer - Z Merrett - Melksham
S: Hunter
S: Howlett

Western Bulldogs defence vs Essendon forward line

Probably the Bulldogs weakest area under McCartney, averaging a whopping 101 points/game conceded over the 3 years. Players like Austin and Wood need to shut down on forwards more effectively for them to improve as a side in this area. Essendon's forward line is their biggest weakness as well but after 15 goals against Collingwood's undersized defence they'll be licking their lips at the prospect of the Dogs defence. The match up to watch is Jordan Roughead on Jake Carlisle, after Carlisle amassed a ridiculous 19 marks in 1 game against Collingwood. Mark Austin will have to tighten up against Joe Daniher, who's form has been down but will be looking for another big game against the Dogs. Liam Picken will have a big job on Paul Chapman after Chappy hit form against Collingwood, booting 3 majors.

Midfield battle (rucks included)

This is going to decide the match, as usual. Heath Hocking and Jake Melksham were effective as taggers against Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan respectively last week, keeping the pair to 23 and 20 disposals and would be looking to do similar jobs to Griffen and Liberatore this week. Dyson Heppell will probably get the hard tag from Mitch Wallis after copping attention from Kane Cornes and Brent Macaffer the past 2 weeks. Then it'll be up to the support crews of Darley, Stevens, Macrae, Johannisen, Boyd, Dahlhaus and Hrovat against the likes of Goddard, Zaharakis, Stanton, Myers, Colyer, Zach Merrett and Chapman rotating through there. When you compare the quality between the two it's fair to say that Essendon's depth is better than the Dogs' depth in the midfield. In terms of the ruck battle, both Ryder and Minson are excellent in the hitouts but you'd expect the athleticism of Ryder to play a crucial role for Essendon

Western Bulldogs forward line vs Essendon defence

Well this area is clearly advantage Essendon, who are averaging a fantastic 75 points against under Bomber Thompson, having the 3rd best defence in the league at this point, only trailing Sydney and Fremantle in this regard. Hooker against Redpath will be a bloodbath, Hooker on average conceding 1.25 goals/game, an coming off keeping Travis Cloke to 9 touches and 0 goals on Sunday, whereas Redpath has the solitary goal in his first 2 games at this level. Hurley will be full of confidence after giving former don Stewart Crameri a bath last time these sides met, who has done his usual thing and go missing against stronger sides this season. The mouth watering match-up will be Baguley on Dahlhaus who are both in good form, which one will get on top?

X-Factor player

Courtenay Dempsey has been in career best defensive form this season, taking the second dangerous small forward most games and usually beating them but he's also finally getting back to his peak offensive form, and there's a definite chance he will explode in this game.

Key area for each side:

Western Bulldogs:
  • Win inside. Cut off Essendon's supply to outside delivery players like Goddard and Zaharakis and it's definitely game on

Essendon:
  • Tackles. Essendon have out tackled both their opponents in the past 2 weeks, and it looms as an important stat to win again this week

My tip

Essendon's defensive form the past 2 weeks has been awesome, I can't see the Dogs getting on top of said defence, so Essendon by 27.

I think that margin is about spot on. Its good to know Griffen will return against us this week and Hannebery and Tippett probably the following week. I love how everything seems to go our way :mad:

Anyway expecting a solid 20-40 point win.

Think Hocking probably goes to his usually suspect in Griffen. I was going to say Macrae however id try hurt him the other way if his defensive running is that bad that the coach labeled it so.

Players that worry me from the dogs that maybe are going under the radar. Dahlhaus is close to AA form lucky Breust and Ballantyne have been superior. Stringer showed 2 weeks ago that he can kick a bag, hes looking to hit some sharp form IMO. Bontempelli certainly not going under the radar, i love the dogs drafting just thought id say that he was one of my favorites from the group along with Macrae and Stringer the year before. I think we need to put some serious time into Bontempelli he played forward alot from what i saw against GC so id give the old man the job similar gangly things and he could teach him some neat lessons or two. Minson as you mentioned has been brilliant for quite some time for the dogs, last 6-8 weeks after a slow start. Ryder needs to be on his game and battle hard with a hard ferocious warrior.

They have enough weapons through the midfield to beat us, just not sure if they have enough up forward. They have mainly started kicking scores of late mainly because of the use of Bontempelli and Stringer up forward with Crammers and Dahlhaus. Id be confident in Baguley containing Dahlhaus.

Out: J.Merrett and Dellolio
In: Hibberd and Goddard

I hope we are shown the footage of the St Kilda game this week, twice.

This is 100% the type of game we've lost in prior years. We start to look the goods, confidence at all high, then play garbage football and lose a close one to a bottom 10 side.

Come on dons, no reason we should lose this one after the way we've played the last few weeks.

IN: Hibberd, Goddard
OUT: J.Merrett, Dell'Olio

A week before the bye do they give Hibberd one more match off ensuring he's good to go after the bye?

In: Goddard Out: Dell'Olio

If Hibberd comes in one of Colyer or J.Merrett will be stiff to miss.

I don't care about the margin just win dons.

The bulldogs are in good form right now so just come out with the same attitude as today please.

Last edited:
This is the sort of game we've managed to lose in recent years and thereby undo our hard work upsetting better sides. Our fixture (aside from Swans) is entirely made up of such games so the run home will be a measure of whether the team has matured and is on the way to taking the next step in the coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beating Port and Collingwood would mean little to nothing if we dont beat the buldogs though and we learnt last time they are no pushover. Best 22 needs to be picked, id play Hibbo if close to 80%
According to some Bulldogs supporters, their win against the Ablett less Gold Coast was one of their greatest ever wins.

Fletcher and Hooker destroyed the dogs last time, I doubt Brendan will let this happen again. I would be tempted to bring in T-Bell to really stretch them.

Yep. Definitely one of those games that we generally lose.

IN: Goddard, Hibberd
OUT: Dell, J. Merrett/Melksham

I understand Melksham was good yesterday, but I would take either him or Merrett out for the Dogs game. Don't know who else to take out. Talk about selection headaches.

I'll say Essendon by 12pts. Dogs are pretty good at the moment.

Hibberd said last night he was close to playing against Coll, and will definitely be right to go against the dogs.

The question is will Bomber leave Licker down back (when Hibberd returns)?

Bomber says yes.

Whatever our best available team is, pick it! This is a nervous game for me. This will prob be the dogs biggest crowd of the year (~26k, nice one Cramers..enjoy) so they will be up for a big day. It feels like Essendon have really struggled in putting away these mid-lower tier teams. For some reason we allow them a sniff. They beat us last time in clearances (I think) so its a huge focus this week hopefully. Maybe this so called selection pressure will keep the team hungry and desperate enough to keep winning.

Goddard & Hibberd obvious ins.
Kav & Steinberg wouldn't be far off a call up either.

Would think Dell'Olio makes way for Goddard and a Merrett goes to sub.
Given the dogs love of a scrap in the middle, I would keep Howlett and Melksham in and around.

Hibberd in for ?? is the biggest question now.

Doggies travelling much better than the Pies & probably Port at the moment, so I see this as a dangerous game if we are not 100% switched on, & cannot dropoff in any way after such an important couple of weeks.

Real dilemma in who goes out for Hibberd, as the defence looks balanced beautifully.

Wouldn't be suprised to see Zac Merrett have a spell at some stage, maybe this game or the Sydney game so he can run it into the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back