Preview Footscray vs. Essendon, Docklands, 20/07/2014 @ 4:40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be suprised to see Zac Merrett have a spell at some stage, maybe this game or the Sydney game so he can run it into the bye.
As long as he keeps carving it up there is no need to rest him. Besides we have a bye after this week.

As long as he keeps carving it up there is no need to rest him. Besides we have a bye after this week.

yeah I know, just think it may be beneficial to have a an extra week and then reload for the run home, but maybe he doesn't need it and I am sure they are monitoring him closely so bit hard for me to judge I guess.

Z Merrret looks like a player now. His older brother looks like a kid who probably will be a player but is really just getting games put into him at this stage. I would say Dell and J Merrett make way for Goddard and Hibberd. We can play a 7 man backline at stages. Hibberd, Dempsey and Winderlich should create mayhem running off half back that to the point that they'll be able to draw a player, get it off to a mid who can draw a player and then find a forward one out.

Zach has broken the rules about managing young players loads. Apart from Heppell, I can't remember seeing this since the likes of Hird/Mercuri/Fletcher. That's some crazy company the kid is keeping there! Can anyone else remind me of others that have been ready to compete like this from from this sort of age?

Zach has broken the rules about managing young players loads. Apart from Heppell, I can't remember seeing this since the likes of Hird/Mercuri/Fletcher. That's some crazy company the kid is keeping there! Can anyone else remind me of others that have been ready to compete like this from from this sort of age?

Not from Essendon of late, no. Has to be a RS chance.

Z. Merrett keeps cool under pressure doesn't rush his kicks or seem phased by the big stage. Comparisons being made to Heppell in his first year shows how good he is.

Scary how good he will be.

Agree with other posters that he is the exception to the rule about managing workloads of first or second year players.

That left foot goal on the run could watch that a million times and not get sick of seeing it.

Don't want to jinx him but he has potentially to be elite. I'm talking Selwood Pendlebury Heppell levels

I was going to say Rama, but he made his mark in 2000, his 2nd season.

Andrew Welsh? Not in the same class as Zach but maintained his spot in his debut season

Ins: Hibberd, Goddard
Outs: Melksham, Dell

Tough to pick this week. Goddard and Hibberd simply have to come in - but who comes out?

Very tough good old selection dilemmas. Though I do think the general concensus is J.Merrett will be one to lose his spot

Hibberd said last night he was close to playing against Coll, and will definitely be right to go against the dogs.

The question is will Bomber leave Licker down back (when Hibberd returns)?
I liked Winderlich down back. His composure was reassuring alongside Hooker who can be slightly manic.

According to some Bulldogs supporters, their win against the Ablett less Gold Coast was one of their greatest ever wins.

Fletcher and Hooker destroyed the dogs last time, I doubt Brendan will let this happen again. I would be tempted to bring in T-Bell to really stretch them.
God no

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we have selection headaches now?
Start of next season will be interesting when we have don't have room for one of the Merretts and Colyer, plus TBC hitting form, Kommer more manic than ever, Gleeson cyborging it up, Aylett getting 20 tackles in the VFL, Kav, Edwards, Browne, Hams, Dell and Dalgleish coming of age and Pears/Hardi able to play anywhere. Plus of course there is always a player who comes from under the radar, NOB maybe?
Cannot see how we will hold on to them all TBH. But then i said that last year and no one wanted Hardi or Pears! Those guys would be at home in most AFL sides...

Last edited:
Griffen has been ruined by injures this year and from what I've seen has never reached his full fitness this year. Wont damage us too much if we just simply man up on him without putting a tight tag on (e.g a H2H with Goddard). Meanwhile Macrae and Libba would be the other candidates to get the tag, but it would have to be Macrae based on his performance on the weekend. Libba does the inside stuff but won't damage you around the ground while Macrae can tear you up in one quarter of football. Hocking goes to him

Ins: Hibberd, Goddard
Outs: Melksham, Dell
Essendon
Tough to pick this week. Goddard and Hibberd simply have to come in - but who comes out?

Melksham won't get dropped, unfortunately Howlett may be the one that makes way.

I was going to say Rama, but he made his mark in 2000, his 2nd season.

Andrew Welsh? Not in the same class as Zach but maintained his spot in his debut season
anyone from the baby bombers... Wanganeen, Hird...??

Nobodys said much about it but anybody else think Fletcher had a rubbish game on Sunday? Could be a possible out to bring in Goddard and Hibbo..

I thought Fletch played his part in our defence yesterday...26 disposals, 13 marks.

We will need his experience this week against the hungry dogs, under estimate them and it will be another St kilda/Melbourne shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back