Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Normally there have been 3 preseason games. Last year was the first with 2 so the dynamics changed. We played more of our settled team than kids like has been done in the past

We were in maximum continuity mode last year.

There is basically 3 pre season games for us though with the U23 game now. No way those playing in that game will play both of the other two, and I’m simply guessing here, but I reckon the club would prefer them playing the 2 games closer to round one.

Brad played all three games last pre-season.

I could see Jones playing all three - young, super fit player who they want to give maximum exposure to.

First pre season game is rarely the side we will see round one.
The situation changed when we went from 3 Pre-season matches to two. Last year 19 of the players in Round One played against the Pear in JLT1. Talia and Gibbs were injured and Mackay was a late addition to our best 22 (another quality troll by Campo and the coaches).

I predict our squad of 26 will be the 23 players who wore Crows colours in the internal trial (minus anyone with a niggle) plus three from the Yellow Team. My guess is Keays, Frampton and Kelly will come into the squad but I really hope Ned is given a run.

We usually like to restrict players to two full pre-season matches so the under 23s who play a full game on Saturday will miss the under 23 game (McAsey, Milera, Jones, Fogarty, Murphy). I expect Himmelberg, Frampton, Stengle, Keays and McAdam to play half a game and to back up again against the Pear under 23s.

The situation changed when we went from 3 Pre-season matches to two. Last year 19 of the players in Round One played against the Pear in JLT1. Talia and Gibbs were injured and Mackay was a late addition to our best 22 (another quality troll by Campo and the coaches).

I predict our squad of 26 will be the 23 players who wore Crows colours in the internal trial (minus anyone with a niggle) plus three from the Yellow Team. My guess is Keays, Frampton and Kelly will come into the squad but I really hope Ned is given a run.

We usually like to restrict players to two full pre-season matches so the under 23s who play a full game on Saturday will miss the under 23 game (McAsey, Milera, Jones, Fogarty, Murphy). I expect Himmelberg, Frampton, Stengle, Keays and McAdam to play half a game and to back up again against the Pear under 23s.
Exactly our priority isn’t going to be resting players for a meaningless u23 game, that game will be reserved for players who aren’t likely to feature rd 1.

It’s just Vader being Vader and others jumping in without thinking

Exactly our priority isn’t going to be resting players for a meaningless u23 game, that game will be reserved for players who aren’t likely to feature rd 1.

It’s just Vader being Vader and others jumping in without thinking
Clubs are all about managing workloads in PS, hell most of them don't want these Marsh games to even happen.

Of the kids you'd expect Jones, Berg, McAsey, Stengle, McAdam and maybe Jordy Butts to play, along with potentially our off season pickups Frampton, Keays and Crocker.

Would love to see Neddy and Scholl play too. Then you'd think they'd backup for the U23 game and the ones really in the mix play the 2nd Marsh game and probably not the U23 game.

Come to think of it, James Matthews might play if we really are thinking of putting him on the list.

Clubs are all about managing workloads in PS, hell most of them don't want these Marsh games to even happen.

Of the kids you'd expect Jones, Berg, McAsey, Stengle, McAdam and maybe Jordy Butts to play, along with potentially our off season pickups Frampton, Keays and Crocker.

Would love to see Neddy and Scholl play too. Then you'd think they'd backup for the U23 game and the ones really in the mix play the 2nd Marsh game and probably not the U23 game.

Come to think of it, James Matthews might play if we really are thinking of putting him on the list.
Who is this Scholl you speak off. Oh you mean Sholl.

The question should also be asked if the Bush Fire Players will play full games on Sat and front for the Bushfire game 6 days later,
Note the Last Marsh Cup game is on Friday, which is a 6-day break from the under 23.

This week there is no Doedee or Hartigan And Fogarty will be touch and go, with Knight lucky to play any preseason games.
Larger bench so and a lot of experimentation going on,

If memory serves me correctly (and it may not), the U23 game was played before the first pre-season game last year. This year the situation is reversed. This is why I'm expecting to see a veteran team selected for Saturday's game, with most of the kids playing their first game the following week. We'll then see a more balanced team, close to our R1 team, for the second pre-season game.

EDIT: It's actually not the scheduling which is making the PS1 game more veteran heavy, it's the age restrictions Adelaide & Port have placed on their SANFL hit out. With one game age limited, the other game is almost limited by default to those aged 23+.

Last edited:
This week there is no Doedee or Hartigan And Fogarty will be touch and go, with Knight lucky to play any preseason games.
What is wrong with Riley Knight? Not a word from the AFC regarding an injury.

I was told by an unreliable source (friend of a friend) that he had heard that Fogarty played a half in the internal trial so he should be good to go this week.

Selecting our older players for Saturday’s match rather than our best 26 is a pretty marginal difference. Following the delisting of Douglas and Otten plus trading Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, CEY, Keath and Greenwood we now have 12 players who are over 25 years of age. Most would consider Talia, Brown, Laird, Gibbs, Sloane, Brouch, Smith, Seedsman, Lynch and Walker are in our best 26. That leaves Hartigan who is injured and Mackay.

Soooo..... the difference between playing our best 26 and loading up with old guys boils down to whether we play Mackay (Gibbs is clearly rated in our best 26 by the coaches although personally, I don’t see much point playing him over the next two years).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is wrong with Riley Knight? Not a word from the AFC regarding an injury.

I was told by an unreliable source (friend of a friend) that he had heard that Fogarty played a half in the internal trial so he should be good to go this week.

Selecting our older players for Saturday’s match rather than our best 26 is a pretty marginal difference. Following the delisting of Douglas and Otten plus trading Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, CEY, Keath and Greenwood we now have 12 players who are over 25 years of age. Most would consider Talia, Brown, Laird, Gibbs, Sloane, Brouch, Smith, Seedsman, Lynch and Walker are in our best 26. That leaves Hartigan who is injured and Mackay.

Soooo..... the difference between playing our best 26 and loading up with old guys boils down to whether we play Mackay (Gibbs is clearly rated in our best 26 by the coaches although personally, I don’t see much point playing him over the next two years).
Pretty sure Fogarty did not play Sat.
Also From Marty Mattner interview
Fogarty maybe be back for this week game, Doedee need to tick some more boxes looking at under 23's game or the 2nd Marsh Cup, Hartigan's is Close maybe this week and Knight still a couple of weeks away.

I don’t think they would’ve had above half a dozen articles on Ned this pre season and not play round one.

I don’t think they would’ve had above half a dozen articles on Ned this pre season and not play round one.
Well I had him on my Board in permanent market.

As indicated in another thred, Ned didn’t play in the internal trial. The short quick guy who wore 25 in the Yellow Team was a top up (possibly Matthews). In other good news, Butts played a half in Crows colours and a half in Yellow, some other players may also have had a half-and-half.

Well I had him on my Board in permanent market.

As indicated in another thred, Ned didn’t play in the internal trial. The short quick guy who wore 25 in the Yellow Team was a top up (possibly Matthews). In other good news, Butts played a half in Crows colours and a half in Yellow, some other players may also have had a half-and-half.
Must be management, don’t want to overdo it in February. Be extremely surprised if he isn’t playing against Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back