For those that covet the #1 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

If your gonna go preAFL entry wouldn’t it be Port Adelaide? I think they have 36/37 flags all up?
Don’t start that we will have cats flogs in here with their numbers

Over the last 20 years with the best top 5 player still available at that pick (I.e having the opportunity to pick the best player):

Pick 1: 20
Pick 2: 17
Pick 3: 13
Pick 4: 10
Pick 5: 5

But that’s the point … you don’t know who the best player is going to be. So often the club with pick-5 who is ‘left’ with what other clubs have regarded as the 5th best, they actually turn out to be THE best.

Having said that, you might get on ‘average’ a better player at #1, but you’re not much better chance of getting THE best player whether you have #1 or #5.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At least we will have our destiny in our own hands. History is there to be challenged and rewritten.
If we pick incorrectly we will only have ourselves to blame and I'd much prefer that.

It's bloody exciting. Especially considering we are going to be major players during the trade and draft periods.

Regardless of pick 1 or 2, the club needs to spend the maximum of the soft cap to make sure we have the best in development, mentality, fitness and conditioning.

No reason we shouldn't be bringing in a full roster of quality development staff given:
1- the size of our club and member base
2- we won't be paying anywhere near the max salary cap for playing group
3- over the next 2 seasons we will likely be adding 10-15 18 year olds.

Absolutely critical we give all the draftees the best chance to succeed!

But that’s the point … you don’t know who the best player is going to be. So often the club with pick-5 who is ‘left’ with what other clubs have regarded as the 5th best, they actually turn out to be THE best.

Having said that, you might get on ‘average’ a better player at #1, but you’re not much better chance of getting THE best player whether you have #1 or #5.

You are right I don't know, but it is the clubs recruiters job to research and make the best educational guess of who is most likely to be the best. If they do their job right then the better the odds are that they select the best.

It's a question of do you prefer to have our destiny in our hands?; or hope the other clubs recruiters make a mistake and the best player falls into our lap?

Going back to the last 20 x years : here is my assessment of the best player from the top-5 picks:

2004 : Buddy 5
2005: Pendles 5
2006: Boak 5
2007: Cotchin 2
2008: NicNat 2
2009: Martin 3
2010: Gaff 4
2011: Coniglio 2
2012: : Whitfield 1
2013: Bont 4
2014: Trac 2
2015: Oliver 4
2016: McCluggage 3
2017: LDU 4
2018: Rankine 3
2019: Jackson 3
2020: JHU 1
2021: Naicos 4
2022: Scheezel 3
2023: Reid 1

There were a few close calls (Gaff over Swallow, Oliver over Weitering, Rankine over Walsh).

But here it is:

#1 = 3 times best player from top-5
#2 = 4
#3 = 5
#4 = 5
#5 = 3

And most years there has been a standout #1. This year there isn’t, so even more chance of #1 not being the best.

Split the pick I say!

Without looking at the list. Jezz how weak was the 2010 draft if Gaff is the standout I'm the top 5! Likewise with 2016 although McCluggage is decent.

Don't care for pick 1 in terms of who we get to pick especially given the two guys I would take at 1 could still be there at 3/4 but when it comes to controlling the draft and leverage in the trade period it is vital we have pick 1. West Coast have to pay up for Baker as they can't threaten PSD, similar with GC and Rioli as we can wipe their first pick by bidding on Lombard. Adelaide could be desperate for the local product in Draper and we could easily trade 1 for pick 4 and still take the guy we have on our board at no.1 while getting more draft capital.

A lot more options by having the first pick.

Without looking at the list. Jezz how weak was the 2010 draft if Gaff is the standout I'm the top 5! Likewise with 2016 although McCluggage is decent.
Wow that tells you a bit. Basically guaranteed a gun player in one of the top 5 picks and 50% chance of getting a champion

Don't care for pick 1 in terms of who we get to pick especially given the two guys I would take at 1 could still be there at 3/4 but when it comes to controlling the draft and leverage in the trade period it is vital we have pick 1. West Coast have to pay up for Baker as they can't threaten PSD, similar with GC and Rioli as we can wipe their first pick by bidding on Lombard. Adelaide could be desperate for the local product in Draper and we could easily trade 1 for pick 4 and still take the guy we have on our board at no.1 while getting more draft capital.

A lot more options by having the first pick.
It also shows you don’t get success from one player in one draft. We have to get multiple decent players right over the next few years (and hope we got a couple right in recent drafts too).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that covet the #1 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back