manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
So enough of all the other threads being derailed about talk of former players and how it was a mistake to let them go and so on.

Let's chat or complain here about them all :)

So enough of all the other threads being derailed about talk of former players and how it was a mistake to let them go and so on.

Let's chat or complain here about them all :)

The classic one is Greg Williams... had a look today... after Dangers 43 possessions... Williams had 38 on debut for us..and a goal..which I remember was a 50+M barrel ...
No he played 2 years for us , 84 and 85... and was part of the Sydney traitor squad that Dr Death bought and paid for .....

Considering a few years later..it was the start of the run 89-95 , and we saw what he did to us in the 95 gf...... Id say this is my nomination as a player that was a mistake to let go..
I have heard it said he only want a small amount , I also have heard it said that his transfer bailed the club that was basically broke... but if he had stayed Id say we would have won in 89 and then the flow mean we probably go better in 91 and 92. The whole Haw Geelong thing would have been far different.

Top thread manboob , you are doing us all a great service...

dazbroncos can you make sure all Biggys pissing and moaning about Stevie J goes in here?

And I will be hitting 'unwatch thread' in a moment.

:D

The classic one is Greg Williams... had a look today... after Dangers 43 possessions... Williams had 38 on debut for us..and a goal..which I remember was a 50+M barrel ...
No he played 2 years for us , 84 and 85... and was part of the Sydney traitor squad that Dr Death bought and paid for .....

Considering a few years later..it was the start of the run 89-95 , and we saw what he did to us in the 95 gf...... Id say this is my nomination as a player that was a mistake to let go..
I have heard it said he only want a small amount , I also have heard it said that his transfer bailed the club that was basically broke... but if he had stayed Id say we would have won in 89 and then the flow mean we probably go better in 91 and 92. The whole Haw Geelong thing would have been far different.
Impossible to speculate like that.
Where would Couchy have played if we kept Diesel?
Couch was a born centreman too, and the dynamic would have been different, not worse, but impossible to know.
But we all know what Couch brought to the team from 89-95 +

Impossible to speculate like that.
Where would Couchy have played if we kept Diesel?
Couch was a born centreman too, and the dynamic would have been different, not worse, but impossible to know.
But we all know what Couch brought to the team from 89-95 +

I agree.. its drawing a long bow...
Couch in
89 had 13 and 9
92 had 13 and 12
94 had 13 and 8
95 had 18 and 7 (close to our best that day) Williams had 17 and 14 and 5 goals

Couch never really played his best in GF's but was never less than a good solid player

Its all speculation in line with the op.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was bullshit we let go chapman and kept superstars like mitch brown, walker, burbury stringer and sheringham

"we have to give some vital gametime to these future superstars"

Yes and no.

Call it a sliding doors opportunity, or whatever. But would we have seen the famous No.7 playing for Geelong if Williams had stayed? I doubt it. Couchy was recruited as a centreman.

Don't get me wrong about Williams. In the 2 years he played at Geelong he was elite. But I reckon he was the sort of player we only had "on loan". Even if the club had agreed to pay Williams the little extra he says he wanted to stay in 86, I bet he'd have eventually left us for Carlton or another club.

Yes and no.

Call it a sliding doors opportunity, or whatever. But would we have seen the famous No.7 playing for Geelong if Williams had stayed? I doubt it. Couchy was recruited as a centreman.

Don't get me wrong about Williams. In the 2 years he played at Geelong he was elite. But I reckon he was the sort of player we only had "on loan". Even if the club had agreed to pay Williams the little extra he says he wanted to stay in 86, I bet he'd have eventually left us for Carlton or another club.

Im speculating... and your speculating... its that type of thread.

As I said on the Brisbane board, I am legitimately pleased that Walker is going okay for them. He seems much freer and more confident in just playing the game and attacking the footy on his own terms....instead of trying to keep out of Hawkins' way.

Yes we would have. They played together, as Couch debuted in 1985. If Williams staying meant Couch stayed on a half forward flank, it would have been fine. Couch was a wonderful player, but Williams was the best midfielder of his generation.

To my knowledge he's always said he was happy at Geelong and would have stayed, so not sure about that.

Yes we would have. They played together, as Couch debuted in 1985. If Williams staying meant Couch stayed on a half forward flank, it would have been fine. Couch was a wonderful player, but Williams was the best midfielder of his generation.

To my knowledge he's always said he was happy at Geelong and would have stayed, so not sure about that.
Not so sure about that that when you hear(d) Couchy speak. He became the player he was by playing in the guts of centre. Would have been possibly languishing as a HFF. And we did lose Adrian Fletcher through him feeling he was redundant at Geelong.
Buddha, Bairstow, Bews, Bruns, Williams- Couch... we will never know now, but I have heard him say that playing centre was his breakthrough.
Diesel did say that what he left for was minimal, but if that is the case, why did he leave anyway?

Not so sure about that that when you hear(d) Couchy speak. He became the player he was by playing in the guts of centre. Would have been possibly languishing as a HFF. And we did lose Adrian Fletcher through him feeling he was redundant at Geelong.
Buddha, Bairstow, Bews, Bruns, Williams- Couch... we will never know now, but I have heard him say that playing centre was his breakthrough.
Diesel did say that what he left for was minimal, but if that is the case, why did he leave anyway?
the old 5 grand story....

wanted 5k more and the Cats said nope...

so he walked...

IMO, 89 would have been different with him in the hoops....

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back