Four Big Announcements Leading into Xmas 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Nowhere did they say that the 4 announcements were resigning of players we already have. all they said was that they were big announcements.

'Big' is relative. Erin Phillips was, to me, big. TB1 + RG9 were not. They were moderate. They also felt, to me again, somewhat manufactured.

We've also been led to expect Xmas announcements that are advertised in advance, for the entertainment of supporters hanging on every new off-season post on the Club website, will concern player signings.

Next time I hope the Club's media team mixes things up a bit, makes the stuff different, unexpected. Erin Phillips was different, unexpected, a winner.

It doesn't have to be four announcements. It can be five or whatever, more room for mixing it up.

If Announcement No. 4 is Wingard, that won't be a surprise. A media objective, 100% entertainment, will have been defeated. Score = 50% of what it could have been.

Don't get me wrong. I want to read confirmation of a Wingard extension. I don't care, for its own sake, if it's No. 4 or a standalone next week. I'm searching for constantly more professional entertainment value on the Club website during off-season. Cabin fever is rife.

Announcement No.1 = 5 out of 10, No. 2 = 3.5 out of 10, No. 3 = 8 out of 10. No. 4 = ?

Two new premium sponsor partnerships ($1 million per annum) = 9 out of 10.
One new major sponsor partnership ($2 million per annum) = 10 out of 10.
Gong Li or equivalent to be our new No. 1 Ticket Holder = 11 out of 10.
AFL awards PAFC exclusive rights to China market as of 2016 = 12 out of 10.
AFL gives PAFC right to counterbid for Club's Aboriginal Academy prospects at 2016 Draft = 20 out of 10

I'm easy to please.

Last edited:

I think a lot of people are missing the point when it comes to women's football.

It's a battle for "soccer mums" and participation rates. The more women involved in football, particularly at a playing level is a good thing for all sectors of the game. If the "soccer mums" have the opportunity to play the sport, they'll be more likely to encourage or accept their sons and daughters decision to play football at a junior level. The AFL would be hoping to bump up their participation rates in a segment with huge growth potential (women's football) and make ground for the battle at junior level.

The more people participating, the greater the talent pool is in the long term. It won't be easy and results won't happen overnight, but it needs to be done to further cement Australian Football as the premier sport of this country.

My 10 year old daughter barracks for Port but I can't get her to come to the footy any more and she never watches it on tv. When the women's game was on during the season she sat with me, glued to the tv. Having a women's team is really important for winning the hearts and minds of the young girls.

Andrew Capel saying Wingard will be re-signed tomorrow and Wines "this week".

Just read that also. Funny thing is he must have edited it as the original copy was him saying the announcement will happen today.
Good to hear about Ollie!

How nice would it be if tomorrow is wingard extension and we are content and then [*BAM*] friday morning when no one is expecting anything we get a member email at 11:30 with a surprise present (ollie signing).

Not as nice as the two of them sitting side by side at the same press conference tomorrow. That would be huge.

Why aren't we allowed to feel underwhelmed with the announcements so far, we aren't talking actual Xmas presents from your mum that turns out to be a 6 pack of Rio Jocks that aren't in your size, which you still show gratefulness towards. This is 4 Major announcements the club has promoted and so far they haven't hit the mark for me. Those that are disappointed have just as much a right to be that way as those that are fapping over this.
LOL ... That gave me a chuckle! "Why cant I wallow in my sorrow?"
Ps ... not having a dig, it just seemed genuinely funny!
Ah well, seems I'm in the minority.... the concept of a women's AFL league doesn't interest me one bit and i doubt I'm alone on that matter, so I'm pretty sceptical on the benefits it will bring. But if it is going to have an effect on our chances of winning premierships in the AFL, which is where my interests lie then I will need to probably go away from here do my homework on it and come back once I understand it a bit more....
I am sure many feel the same as you, even some who view the announcement positively. Its the same with the Maggies, many Power supporters dont follow them much at all, but the value they present to the Power & to the club is inestimable.

For all the reasons (I wont repeat them) mentioned already, a Port women's team will continue, & cement, the incredible turnaround this club is undergoing. The only challenge is to make sure we dont overstretch ourselves on too many fronts ... Power/Magpies/ Aboriginal Academy/China, and now woman's team. To do this successfully requires resources and finances ... This comes back to on-field success, and sustained on-field success - something we are looking geared up to achieve over the coming years.

That all being said - I love it. Bring it on, lets make Port Adelaide the greatest sporting club in the land!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The growth in the Port Adelaide or our brand looking back on all of 3 odd years ago is astounding. You actually have to take a step back to appreciate how big we have gotten this quickly. Hopefully tomorrow tops it off and we get Chad and Ollie in one gift, but even Chad on his own will do me. Amazing time to be a Port Adelaide person, and long may it continue.

I reckon the AFL would have felt blindsided by this announcement and they haven't worked out how to react yet.

hopefully the same drongos that approve things like the crows SOO ripoff jumper are involved. They stupidly think that if Port is already signing players they must have approval from above and just rush through our AFL womens team paperwork ....

There is an article in Fox http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...ides-womens-team/story-e6frf3e3-1227647602049

I reckon the AFL would have felt blindsided by this announcement and they haven't worked out how to react yet.

every afl.com story does not need to represent the views of the afl. quite often they carry a disclaimer to that effect. it's about the journos, resources and priorities i suspect, not so much the party line.

it's absolutely a great story and worth reporting on afl.com full stop regardless of what the afl thinks. certainly more important than some fluff piece on what Bryce Gibbs had for breakfast.

hell if the afl was idiotic enough to send a "do not comment" re our announcement then THAT would really be worth kicking up a stink over - not that I think this is the case BTW

One more comment from me. I reckon this little exercise from the club re the 'Four big pre-Xmas announcements' has been excellent. It has really engaged the Port community, the media, and even the opposition! It has everyone talking - even the negative viewpoints are fine. Everyone is engaged and involved, exactly what this current administration is trying to achieve. Those people hanging out for 4 earth-shattering announcements set themselves up for disappointment I reckon. All the announcements have been "big" in some way or another, and I expect tomorrow's will be bigger, but to me this was all about having some fun along the way in what is a quiet footy period often devoid of interest.

Great stuff! ... You gotta love this club!

The growth in the Port Adelaide or our brand looking back on all of 3 odd years ago is astounding. You actually have to take a step back to appreciate how big we have gotten this quickly. Hopefully tomorrow tops it off and we get Chad and Ollie in one gift, but even Chad on his own will do me. Amazing time to be a Port Adelaide person, and long may it continue.
We just need that premiership.

'Big' is relative. Erin Phillips was, to me, big. TB1 + RG9 were not. They were moderate. They also felt, to me again, somewhat manufactured.

We've also been led to expect Xmas announcements that are advertised in advance, for the entertainment of supporters hanging on every new off-season post on the Club website, will concern player signings.

Next time I hope the Club's media team mixes things up a bit, makes the stuff different, unexpected. Erin Phillips was different, unexpected, a winner.

It doesn't have to be four announcements. It can be five or whatever, more room for mixing it up.

If Announcement No. 4 is Wingard, that won't be a surprise. A media objective, 100% entertainment, will have been defeated. Score = 50% of what it could have been.

Don't get me wrong. I want to read confirmation of a Wingard extension. I don't care, for its own sake, if it's No. 4 or a standalone next week. I'm searching for constantly more professional entertainment value on the Club website during off-season. Cabin fever is rife.

Announcement No.1 = 5 out of 10, No. 2 = 3.5 out of 10, No. 3 = 8 out of 10. No. 4 = ?

Two new premium sponsor partnerships ($1 million per annum) = 9 out of 10.
One new major sponsor partnership ($2 million per annum) = 10 out of 10.
Gong Li or equivalent to be our new No. 1 Ticket Holder = 11 out of 10.
AFL awards PAFC exclusive rights to China market as of 2016 = 12 out of 10.
AFL gives PAFC right to counterbid for Club's Aboriginal Academy prospects at 2016 Draft = 20 out of 10

I'm easy to please.
Good post. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Four Big Announcements Leading into Xmas 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back