Fox Footy co-host Mark Robinson looks set to leave AFL 360 after 14 years in the hot seat

Remove this Banner Ad

His pairing with Whately is so incongruous that I'm convinced whoever came up with the idea got their inspiration from 1968 movie The Odd Couple; Whately reprising the Jack Lemmon character; a pedantic and condescending, neurotic pseudo-intellectual, with Robbo of course cut from the same cloth as the Walter Matthau character; an uncultured, heavy drinking oaf whose uncouth behaviour drives Lemmon to distraction.

It's genius really.

It was never about the football.

He was scheduled to be on tonight and wasn't.

That to me suggests it wasn't a mutual parting of the ways.
Sacked surely.

That wouldn't surprise me.

If other people turned up to work drunk or hungover or took as many days off as Robbo has they would probably be sacked too.

He was scheduled to be on tonight and wasn't.

That to me suggests it wasn't a mutual parting of the ways.
Sacked surely.
Looks that way. His health battles the past couple of years have really taken their toll and while he always had the odd week off here and there to deal with illness it became more and more frequent. I think the producers didn't think he was up to doing the show anymore and just chose not to renew his contract.

Had his moments where he clearly didn’t know much about anything. But other times I liked his passion.

The show worked because of Robbo and Wheatley are at two ends of the spectrum, both personality and their approach to footy analysis. Bit of Ying and Yang thing.

Met Robbo had some bar at 12.30am in the city after a footy game once. Spoke to him for like an hour. Nice guy. Just loves footy.

Love him or hate him show is dead without him
Yeah the show was already bloated with boring interviews and even 3 nights a week was pushing it for content.

Will be a worse version of Talking Footy without the Gerard/Robbo dynamic.

On the Couch is better imo.
First Crack is the best footy show and is also the simplest. Put an extra episode on Wednesday/Thursday night to preview the upcoming round and that would be all you ever need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always enjoyed his style and emotion on 360, 14 years on one program is pretty amazing and it was a great ying and yang partnership with Whatley. I’ll miss his unique character on the show and I hope his health is ok.

Robbo inspired one of the great Bigfooty Legendary Threads and badges
IMG_6624.png

Part 1 https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-cult-of-robbo.671878/#post-16826074
Part 2 https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-cult-of-robbo-volume-2.927032/#post-23740589

Something about this stinks… the send off was very abrupt and not very warm. No montage, nothing. Jack would be a horrible replacement… to be honest the only person who ever does an Ok job of replacing him is Chief. Think it might become unwatchable next year - Robbo’s quirkiness and willingness to say whatever he thought was refreshing.

His pairing with Whately is so incongruous that I'm convinced whoever came up with the idea got their inspiration from 1968 movie The Odd Couple; Whately reprising the Jack Lemmon character; a pedantic and condescending, neurotic pseudo-intellectual, with Robbo of course cut from the same cloth as the Walter Matthau character; an uncultured, heavy drinking oaf whose uncouth behaviour drives Lemmon to distraction.

It's genius really.

It was never about the football.
This is an absolutely fantastic description

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Footy co-host Mark Robinson looks set to leave AFL 360 after 14 years in the hot seat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back