Autopsy Free kick against Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s see SEN publish this.
Strangely, the Essendon flogs I used to work with who sent me this week after week for the last two years, had to be reminded of this

Their response “see what happens when you are first to the ball”

******* w***ers the lot of them

Strangely, the Essendon flogs I used to work with who sent me this week after week for the last two years, had to be reminded of this

Especially funny considering that their game vs St Kilda and to some extent Sydney were probably the first time in ages they were first to the ball. And even then they nearly ****ed it up and only beat St Kilda because they somehow played worse.

Still the laziest piece of analysis available. Some teams transgress more than others, yet people decide to use this as evidence of grand conspiracies or favouratism.

Furthermore, the simple fact is that there is no significant correlation between free kick count differential and winning games of football, across many years of data - a point lost on all football fans who bring up free kick counts.

Free kicks are pretty consistent from year to year with respect to which teams get a lot paid against them - sydney and the tigers always feature. It comes down to playstyle and where they want to draw the line.

I dont think you should look at being in the negative column as necessarily a bad thing. If you play 'close to the edge' you are going to get more paid against you (which is highly visible) , but at the same time, you are going to get away with stuff as well - which is invisible stat-wise.

Say youre defending an otherwise easy mark, why not infringe - maybe youll get away with it ? If the opposition mid is about to handball to someone about to make a good clearance, why not push them in the back , give away a free which gives defenders time to reposition?

Longmire and Hardwick are very disingenuous , like their dumb fans who go 'wah, its unfair the umps hate us' when they have coached their teams a certain way

I dont mind if we decide to move the line and give away a few more frees

Devastating to watch the effect of our new game style which, so far, results in receiving less free kicks than the opposition. It's such an important stat, no wonder it's brought up ad nauseam on this website.

20220709_125945-png.1442402

Devastating to watch the effect of our new game style which, so far, results in receiving less free kicks than the opposition. It's such an important stat, no wonder it's brought up ad nauseam on this website.
What do you mean? I see a very clear trendline.

20220709_125945.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still the laziest piece of analysis available. Some teams transgress more than others, yet people decide to use this as evidence of grand conspiracies or favouratism.

Furthermore, the simple fact is that there is no significant correlation between free kick count differential and winning games of football, across many years of data - a point lost on all football fans who bring up free kick counts.
That’s what I used to tell them

The real problem here is listening to Bombres fans.

Exhibit A:

#standbyhird

The defence rests, Your Honour.

20220709_125945-png.1442402
It looks to me as if there is there is a larger cluster of results in the top right quadrant, but it is not that marked and, anyway, a reasonable interpretation is that the better teams are generally also better at giving away less frees.

In my opinion,in 2015 & 2016, when Bevo got coach of year and we were playing an innovative brand of football that took other teams some time to work out or copy, we got a lot of free kicks because our style of moving the ball en mass up the ground using lots of "in the phone booth" handballs, frustrated the opposition to the point that they became reckless in their tackling over and over again. We also had a clutch of players who were exceptionally good at getting in first to the ball in tight in and under loose ball contests. Clay, Picken, Libba, Dahl, Moyd, Hunter and Macrae, for starters.

It looks to me as if there is there is a larger cluster of results in the top right quadrant, but it is not that marked and, anyway, a reasonable interpretation is that the better teams are generally also better at giving away less frees.

In my opinion,in 2015 & 2016, when Bevo got coach of year and we were playing an innovative brand of football that took other teams some time to work out or copy, we got a lot of free kicks because our style of moving the ball en mass up the ground using lots of "in the phone booth" handballs, frustrated the opposition to the point that they became reckless in their tackling over and over again. We also had a clutch of players who were exceptionally good at getting in first to the ball in tight in and under loose ball contests. Clay, Picken, Libba, Dahl, Moyd, Hunter and Macrae, for starters.
No you’ve got it all wrong. We threw the ball and weren’t penalised, and were given non-existent frees in front of goal while our opponents were deprived of frees they deserved, and all our players ducked, and the AFL wanted us to win, and the presiding umpire in the GF was a Bulldogs supporter. Being first to the ball was never a factor 🙄

No you’ve got it all wrong. We threw the ball and weren’t penalised, and were given non-existent frees in front of goal while our opponents were deprived of frees they deserved, and all our players ducked, and the AFL wanted us to win, and the presiding umpire in the GF was a Bulldogs supporter. Being first to the ball was never a factor 🙄
Welcome to the board, Mr Longmire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back