Free Kick differential over the last 15 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I always love to see what excuses people come up with to downplay the blatantly obvious statistical fact (that has been posted repeatedly posted on this site over the last few years) that the Eagles are blatantly favoured by the umpires when they play at home.
It’s not favouritism, they just play clean football over there, when they travel they get on the turps so infringe more

Get me the stats that highlight free kicks inside forward 50.

They're the ones that actually matter.
Actually, the most important one is impossible to get - the number of frees not paid inside the oppositions 50. They are often the momentum killers as it can be a 12 point turn around.

919 / 22 games per year / 15.5 years = 2.7
-516 / 22 games per year / 15.5 years = -1.5

So basically if West Coast played Sydney you'd expect the free kick count to be +4.2 in our favour, and every other combination would have a lesser differential.

In the last 5 years the premiers have been -60, +116, +18, +11, -3. Draw a trend from that, nerds.
This is home and away though, bet the home factor would be significantly more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, the lid is well and truly off now, we must be going well if the conspiracy theories are out again.
Now I patiently await the Herald Sun to come out with an interview with an angry ex-player, then I will book my grand final annual leave time.

Iirc the Eagles umpires during the early 90s didn't travel, they lived in W.A. and only officiated Eagles games, as i said not sure if that's true or not, but FMD did they get the rub of the green, and these figures prove it.
The table starts in 2003.

The 90s were before 2003.

I'll give you an encouragement award for trying.

FKDiff.jpg
As have many people suggested, free kicks should approximate zero. This is true across the league since 2003 (first graph). What is interesting though, is very few teams average a zero differential across those years. Now, the hypothesis that the media is putting out there is that over that sort of time, each team should also cluster around zero, since that timeframe would even out all the other factors that affect free kicks like game style etc (and 'noise of affirmation' bias should be cancelled out by opposing bias in away games).
This simply isn't the case though. Only 4 teams in a league of 18 really hit that zero point. All the other teams cluster either side of that. So that assumption that the Eagles are a special case is tenuous at best. It would take most of the other teams averaging a zero differential over that timeframe, which doesn't match the observation.

I think this shows clear evidence of corruption - umpires in West Coast games have obviously been paid off by individual players, bookmakers, the league, the club itself or possibly prominent supporters, systematically over the last 12 years in a intricate plot to secure premierships (so far unsuccessful) and harvest the maximum amount of salt possible from the broader BigFooty online community.

This just shows me that the WCE have the best fans in the league and work the umpires to perfection.

You need to remember that most umpires grew up the nerds at school and were most likely bullied through high school, So in adulthood they try to go over and above to please people, They need to be liked and giving into a big loud crowd to get the applause is too good to pass up.

919 / 22 games per year / 15.5 years = 2.7
-516 / 22 games per year / 15.5 years = -1.5

So basically if West Coast played Sydney you'd expect the free kick count to be +4.2 in our favour, and every other combination would have a lesser differential.
That's not the correct maths.

Combination of a number of things

1- Sell out crowds for years, membership waiting list etc. Obviously effects the umpires
2- Subiaco was a fast track with a lot of space, not as conducive to a 'contested' game as you'd see at the scg for example.
3- Quality rucks, a lot of free kicks are won in the ruck.
4- Quality midfielders who win their own ball- Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Priddis, Shuey and many more I've missed no doubt.

Its almost the perfect storm of factors for the eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Kick differential over the last 15 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back