Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Think your going off course here a bit

Fwiw I had us pushing for finals with 7-8 (hardly unrealistic expectations considering the club had finished even higher 2 years earlier with a as young and even less experienced team but most notably everyone at the club from the top down being at a pains to say their youth is no excuse.

Also tho ,why shouldn’t expectations change as performances do as compared to the expected??

To not is virtually counterintuitive to the human psyche required in a competitive environment

As you say we’ve been good enough to be in and around the top 4 all year but now the clubs faltering we’ve clearly become not good enough to even make the eight despite being in their most of the year??
All of sudden it’s all due to our age/experience?

It’s this part I can’t get my head around

Put simply if we miss from here it’s been a hugely wasted opportunity, considering where the team was positioned ,to gain INVALUABLE finals experience and it’s this part that I’m most aggrieved*

*anyways its still not 100 % certain just yet and this years certainly thrown up some surprises so let’s hope there’s one more for freo and we can stay in the 8 come end of the year get to play finals
My post answers this exactly, I don't know how that is not obvious. I can't explain it any better.

Chris scott is an excellent coach, and outcoached us yesterday. JLo didn’t have any changes when Cameron went wing to start the last. You’d assume Chappy follows. But Sharp stayed on him, and was absolutely nowhere near him most of the quarter. Cameron was in mikes of space fed of the ball.

I like sharp, but it’s easy to forget he’s played like 20/30 games. Couple times in the first he was out of position as the last man. Got sucked into the pack on one, which left 2 out the back. No point on him getting sucked in to spoil.

With two games to go and Freo needing a miracle, JL will play it safe. Only changes will be Tabs and Voss (if by some miracle Treacy gets up) and the rest will be spared. Spineless.

If I was the board at Freo I would throw a shit tonne offer at Chris Scott.

Watching the highlights, I struggle to see how the Jeremy Cameron dump tackle on Walker in a crunch moment of the game is any different to the Emmett v Leverde tackle last week?? Anyone? Will there be any MRO action against “Jezz” or is that just typical Vic Tax? The double standards are galling. Walker, arms pinned, head driven into the ground - why no free? Why no suspension? **** this sport and this ****en one-sided drudgery week in week out.
Thought exactly the same thing.

Chris Scott jagged a flag in his first year with Thomson’s team and then he was backed for another 10 or 11 years until he won his next one. Despite wanting to sack JL last night, I don’t think there’s much wrong with the game plan, but like I’ve said before, there’s a cultural issue at the club, and that’s to do with a winning mentality.

They should go and watch tapes of Stringer. Half a sniff and he's all over it. Nothing will get between him and the goals. It's why I reckon Sonny out is hurting us more than we like to admit (and losing Schultz). They WANT to take the responsibility.

I agree with your comments regarding Stringer and his hunger for a shot on goal. All teams need someone with that selfish (for want of a better word) attitude towards kicking a goal.

Too many of that type is counter productive so need to have a balanced attack.

We are just too bland and conservative in reality. Treacy has a bit of swagger and the ability to back it up while still playing within the forward structure. We need at least one other instinctive forward in the mix to keep the opposition defence guessing.

I agree with your comments regarding Stringer and his hunger for a shot on goal. All teams need someone with that selfish (for want of a better word) attitude towards kicking a goal.

Too many of that type is counter productive so need to have a balanced attack.

We are just too bland and conservative in reality. Treacy has a bit of swagger and the ability to back it up while still playing within the forward structure. We need at least one other instinctive forward in the mix to keep the opposition defence guessing.
Indeed. It's why Walters is more important than people think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was the board at Freo I would throw a shit tonne offer at Chris Scott.
There was definitely a plan to flood the corridor and fold back into our D50 (probably why Sharp had so much of the ball).

We need to work a way though it. Eagles used to switch much higher up the ground when they were good (2018), almost across half back to wing. We tend to go around Cape Horn. At Optus, by the time you are ready to swing, Geelong were already set up on the other side.

Having said that, we had our chances to win (won the inside 50s). Just didn't execute when we needed to. The Switkowski pass off from 40 meters out was pretty much indicative of where we simply need to be better. It wasn't only Switta of course. Banfield, Frederick, Fyfe, Jackson and O'Meara all missed pretty gettable shots. There's nothing JL can do about that.

There was definitely a plan to flood the corridor and fold back into our D50 (probably why Sharp had so much of the ball).

We need to work a way though it. Eagles used to switch much higher up the ground when they were good (2018), almost across half back to wing. We tend to go around Cape Horn. At Optus, by the time you are ready to swing, Geelong were already set up on the other side.

Having said that, we had our chances to win (won the inside 50s). Just didn't execute when we needed to. The Switkowski pass off from 40 meters out was pretty much indicative of where we simply need to be better. It wasn't only Switta of course. Banfield, Frederick, Fyfe, Jackson and O'Meara all missed pretty gettable shots. There's nothing JL can do about that.
Yeah we just went too slow yesterday even in the last quarter we were behind by less then a goal playing defensive footy.

Good luck getting a pack mark when there a 40 players inside the 50 arc

Doesn't matter how decimated carlton are, no way we can rely on Weagles winning . ..that bombers game we lost was the real killer..not just cause they shiet team but not only up we were up by few goals at 3 qter time but even had chance to draw when all hope was lost . Just had to hold up that centre clearance

You're all smarts and no balls JL.

Brodie - 44 Disposals and a goal.
But no we don't like his defensive game, so no thanks.

Reidy - 54 hitouts.
You don't have what it takes son.

It actually hits worse because he's the best tactical coach we've ever had, he clearly bleeds purple but he will not play certain players due to an intrinsic belief they don't have it, when said players may actually have it. He will not move the magnets, he will not implement a Plan B.

If we miss finals this year then for me it sits squarely with the coach.
I'm sick of losing close ones and being told we will learn from it and go again. Each time this year we really haven't learnt from it. This is squarely on the coach. As much as we all like the romantic notion of a Freo person bringing success and ultimately a premiership home, JL is not our man. Our young list is crying out for a real leader of men and he is not it. The board need some heat too - show some balls and sack him, not this one year extension BS! Rant/vent over....just like our season appears to be!

Not to mention all the boys having a good old laugh and smile with the Geelong players after the siren. Yeah maybe it’s just a game but show some heart you muppets

Footballers don't exist for your enjoyment. They are people and can have a laugh after work if they want. Get the **** over yourself.

JL is spineless. Josh Carr as an assistant would have been handy this season.

First regular player I’m axing is JOM. I don’t give a **** if he's in the leadership group. Deep into the fourth quarter that play on to advantage was a rushed kick straight into the Geelong defenders arms when they were 2 points down. He was traded in for his experience. 🤦‍♂️ BRING IN BRODIE

I’m not going to even bother with the Tabs inclusion as it’s been covered.

Darcy needs to head off to that “fat farm” in far North Queensland like Lance Whitnall before him.

Never been a fan of Walker. Zero game awareness. Another to have a look at given Clark/Wagner work so well together.

Once again results have gone our way and they require one win to make finals. Regardless if that occurs, let JL contract talks go deep into next season and let him sweat on it. I’m still not convinced on him.
Josh Carr was worse. Refused to change anything even during the game. His attitude is leave it as it is until they do it better.

I'm not against criticising Ryan, but Stringer can do that to anyone when he goes 100%. Unfortunately for us, 1 or his 2 quality games for the year happened last week.
8 out of 10 quality forwards do that to Ryan if he is put on them. It isn't his thing anymore so I don't know why Boyd keeps doing it. Give the job to someone else and let Ryan intercept and distribute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back