Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Brodie to the middle and Serong starts up forward. May not be perfect it we’re far from perfect ATM.
Nah, that's just adding another midfielder and removing our best mid.

As Paul Roos says, I'd you've got a problem in one position don't make it two.

Agree with Duffs thoughts here. In the losses, where we been up 3 qrter time and not by much, we switched too defensive.

Yes, it’s obvious watching. We prefer to hold the ball and get our defensive structures set first.

Obviously the opposition have to try to score, so they’re going to be more aggressive with their ball movement etc. We actually hold very well BUT as proven in all 6 games that have been close, you just invite pressure and eventually it may go against you.

I’m no expert in game play and scores, but when you’re up by 2-3 goals that’s the perfect time to ‘gamble’. You get up 4-5 goals then you can attempt to ice it more or even if it goes against you, you were at least aggressive in wanting to score.

When you go defensive there’s only 2 outcomes.
You hold - Sydney
You get over run - the other 5 games.

I’d rather lose by us trying to score. All day every day.

Yes, it’s obvious watching. We prefer to hold the ball and get our defensive structures set first.

Obviously the opposition have to try to score, so they’re going to be more aggressive with their ball movement etc. We actually hold very well BUT as proven in all 6 games that have been close, you just invite pressure and eventually it may go against you.

I’m no expert in game play and scores, but when you’re up by 2-3 goals that’s the perfect time to ‘gamble’. You get up 4-5 goals then you can attempt to ice it more or even if it goes against you, you were at least aggressive in wanting to score.

When you go defensive there’s only 2 outcomes.
You hold - Sydney
You get over run - the other 5 games.

I’d rather lose by us trying to score. All day every day.

You can also give up your lead turning it over forward of centre

Well yeah. Turnovers anywhere on the ground. But it has seemed obvious to me that we try to shut it down.

Or maybe we’re just young…

We have one marking target ahead of the ball that is reliable, and he wasn't playing in either of the times we retreated into our shells.

It's why I want us to be a marking team, we can long bomb it and create a contest or take the mark and move it on.

Too many times our talls lined up 60m ahead of the ball, wrestled with their opponent then the opponent ran forward five to ten metres to mark on their chest - maybe 60m from goal.

Jackson is tired and sore. Amiss is tired and sore. Treacy is our best beast and he wasn't playing.

If we could pump fifty games into Voss like the matrix maybe he would be a roaming target to kick long to, but I'd argue our best/most reliable mark on the ground was Brennan Cox and he barely took a clinch mark forward of half back.

We need marks between the arcs. It's what opens up all our fast scoring goals. Darcy can catch it, sometimes, Treacy can catch it a lot, Pearce can catch it a lot.

If Rory Lobb did nothing else for us he offered a reliable target up the ground to bomb it on the head of and he would make enough of a contest to keep the ball alive or mark it himself.

We got lucky this year that one of our young key forwards rose to the occasion.

Serong, like Fyfe, is effective forward when he finds himself manned up by a stoppage midfielder because he has run forward. Starting there is a whole different story.
It's a story we should have a look at. Serong in forward traffic is far better than Frederick has shown to be. He has goal sense which Frederick doesn’t, he can read the play which Frederick can't, he can stick a tackle which Frederick can't. Perhaps even over head marking.
Serong should be spending more time up forward like Dusty or Dangerfield or Leigh Matthews.. He should be played as a mid that also plays forward (more than he does).
Serongs hands are so good, he is pure one touch. That's the skill a small forward needs roving the pack or being front and square. Walters was, but now falls over.
Frederick plays one good game every 6 weeks. I hope this weekend is one of those.

We have one marking target ahead of the ball that is reliable, and he wasn't playing in either of the times we retreated into our shells.

It's why I want us to be a marking team, we can long bomb it and create a contest or take the mark and move it on.

Too many times our talls lined up 60m ahead of the ball, wrestled with their opponent then the opponent ran forward five to ten metres to mark on their chest - maybe 60m from goal.

Jackson is tired and sore. Amiss is tired and sore. Treacy is our best beast and he wasn't playing.

If we could pump fifty games into Voss like the matrix maybe he would be a roaming target to kick long to, but I'd argue our best/most reliable mark on the ground was Brennan Cox and he barely took a clinch mark forward of half back.

We need marks between the arcs. It's what opens up all our fast scoring goals. Darcy can catch it, sometimes, Treacy can catch it a lot, Pearce can catch it a lot.

If Rory Lobb did nothing else for us he offered a reliable target up the ground to bomb it on the head of and he would make enough of a contest to keep the ball alive or mark it himself.

We got lucky this year that one of our young key forwards rose to the occasion.

The fact we didn’t have the talls we’d like would’ve told me that perhaps we need to take it on quicker? Especially when we also subbed Taberner. I’m not talking the last 2 mins when Ryan was just bombing. I’m talking with 10 mins left and we’re chipping it around our back half. There were many chances to just wheel and go faster. Kick to space. Actually pass the ball in, even to a contest.

Once the ball was bombed we just were never winning the contested mark, but what was more annoying was we weren’t set up for the ground ball.

The fact we didn’t have the talls we’d like would’ve told me that perhaps we need to take it on quicker? Especially when we also subbed Taberner. I’m not talking the last 2 mins when Ryan was just bombing. I’m talking with 10 mins left and we’re chipping it around our back half. There were many chances to just wheel and go faster. Kick to space. Actually pass the ball in, even to a contest.

Once the ball was bombed we just were never winning the contested mark, but what was more annoying was we weren’t set up for the ground ball.
The chaos ball of just getting it forward, or into space for the players that can run on to it.
It’s finals type of play, winning ugly but when you kick it long and high without Treacy and Jackson well that is just brainless footy.
I just don’t know what Freo were trying to do with those selections.
It’s all or nothing with Darcy, but this type of thinking reminds of M Harvey in
2011. We don’t make finals and JLo should coach next year without a contract
extension in front of him.

The chaos ball of just getting it forward, or into space for the players that can run on to it.
It’s finals type of play, winning ugly but when you kick it long and high without Treacy and Jackson well that is just brainless footy.
I just don’t know what Freo were trying to do with those selections.
It’s all or nothing with Darcy, but this type of thinking reminds of M Harvey in
2011. We don’t make finals and JLo should coach next year without a contract
extension in front of him.

Yes, just into space. Serong hand balled a ball through the middle, it seemed a bit errant, but Switkowski pounced on it and gave a handball to Fyfe who hit someone, maybe Freddy. Think it's the one he goaled. So long as there's some sort of reasoning behind the play it has merit. I mean it could backfire, turned over and exposed BUT we sure as shit weren't going to all of a sudden start clunking contested marks along the wing and score that way.

If the chaos is organised it has great merit. We are a great side at winning ground ball and contested ball. Unsure JL would want 'chaos' style, but I think this is where your on-field leaders need to adjust on the fly and embrace it. So long as everyone is aware then you can prepare.

62 points on a fine day will not win you many games. We were back to our indecisive worst for one of our biggest games of the season.
So frustrating watching a game like that after our last bunch of games at Optus. Just looked a completely different team. Lacked intent to take on the game all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

62 points on a fine day will not win you many games. We were back to our indecisive worst for one of our biggest games of the season.
So frustrating watching a game like that after our last bunch of games at Optus. Just looked a completely different team. Lacked intent to take on the game all day.

Every time we think Freo has turned a new leaf they revert back to the same Freo of old. Especially in our biggest games. They get fans hopes up just so they can let us down again.

1 step forward, 2 steps backward with this club.

Can we win a shoot out missing so much talent up forward?

Possibly not in general but we only had to win 10-15 mins worth on Saturday.

Our forward half continues to be a work in progress and we have certainly made progress. Treacy has obviously been sublime. Sturt provides bang for buck. Midfield is starting to contribute. We’re pretty decent set shots.

Well we weren't playing GC or a bottom 4 team on the weekend. Again if you look at our form since the bye objectively without purple glasses on we haven't been good. We've beat the Swans and 4 trash teams at home. 'Form' might be the wrong word so results since the bye.

I'll add to that with our other wins pre bye. We got the Lions when they were still on holiday. The Dogs and Crows when they were really struggling and all at Optus to boot. We've beat Richmond twice. Melbourne twice. North. WCE. Saints. GC.

Our one impressive win was at the SCG. That wasn't fun looking back through our results.

With how the season's played out that's a pretty soft draw and we're still somehow potentially going to miss finals?

Last edited:
Not enough on how much Jackson stunk it up, and has all season

No ruck craft, and jumping up for a basketball tap isn't effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus if you watch Adelaide yesterday, the thing that stood out was their contested marking on the wing. It helps so much when a ruck or tall forward wins those marks and sets up play.

Jackson. You just know he’s not capable of that.

Especially late in games, with the long bombs Ryan love to bail himself out with, none of Jackson, Darcy, Amiss are good enough for just one grab.

Was peeved that with the game plan on Saturday, Tabs then gets subbed as he was the only one capable of doing so.

Lobb was so underrated in 2022. He would bail the team out numerous times as that guy clutching those marks.

We need to take more shots from 45+ out instead of kicking deep. Hit up somebody shorter and at least get the shot on goal.
So many teams doing this way better than we do at the moment.

Every time we think Freo has turned a new leaf they revert back to the same Freo of old. Especially in our biggest games. They get fans hopes up just so they can let us down again.

1 step forward, 2 steps backward with this club

Surely 2 steps forward, 1 step back is more accurate in terms of describing our season?

We haven’t exactly tumbled down the ladder / gotten worse since last year

There is no need for us to go all out attack and make any game a shoot out. We have a very reliable defence and are rarely blown away by the opposition. If we can score in the region of 80 points per game we will be in most games. 12 goals 8 points rather than the 9 goals 8 points we scored on the weekend. We need to find a way to do that and soon.

One of our major problems is our lethargic starts, we are often on the backfoot from the start and have to play a conservative game style while we regain control of the game. The game then becomes an arm wrestle often as not.

Against Geelong our forwards kicked 3 goals between them, 1 goal to Amiss, 1 goal to Freddy and 1 goal to Sturt. Jackson also got 1 goal and may have been playing as a forward at the time??? Our midfielders and backs got 5 goals between them. 3 to Serong, 1 to Young and 1 to Clark. The mids are stepping up and it's now up to the forwards to do the same or our promising season will go down the toilet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back