Fremantle agreement

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make it so!!!

Let Richo live vigariously through Freo.

i'm also tipping Dockers this week:

Hawks
Crows
Dockers
Eagles

I'm bemused that Geelong are $7 to win the flag. I know as far as 6 weeks back it was "the most open season since 1998" but I'll eat my hat if anyone outside the top 4 wins the flag. It's just not going to happen this year.

Hawks
Crows
Dockers
Eagles

I'm bemused that Geelong are $7 to win the flag. I know as far as 6 weeks back it was "the most open season since 1998" but I'll eat my hat if anyone outside the top 4 wins the flag. It's just not going to happen this year.

What sort of hat is it? Are we talking a sombrero, akubra, beanie or baseball cap?

Totally agree.

Geelong were able to sustain success of a 5 year period and could win a flag again this year.

They were much dominant in the home and away season and beat teams that went 20-2 in 2 Grand Finals.

They made 3 grand finals in 4 years.

Geelong also didn't have handouts and their premierships don't have an asterisks next to them (*) denoting a silver spoon from the AFL.

So Catters stop comparing us to Brisbane. They aint worthy to tie our shoelaces.

Geelong won 3 in 5 years and were a very good team thanks partly to an incredible run of very good luck with the Father-Son rule.

Brisbane won 3 in 3 years thanks to the good fortune of their concessions.

Both era's could have asterisks because the rules have changed since but you can only play under the rules at the time.

Both sides were very good and both had some luck. Three in a row is still better than 3 in 5 IMHO. I would be happy with either!

However, 5 out of 9 from 1983-91 is still my benchmark.

Geelong won 3 in 5 years and were a very good team thanks partly to an incredible run of very good luck with the Father-Son rule.

Brisbane won 3 in 3 years thanks to the good fortune of their concessions.

Both era's could have asterisks because the rules have changed since but you can only play under the rules at the time.

Both sides were very good and both had some luck. Three in a row is still better than 3 in 5 IMHO. I would be happy with either!

However, 5 out of 9 from 1983-91 is still my benchmark.

Yet there were no such things as a salary cap or draft in the early 80's, which discounts that era too.

Hawks
Crows
Dockers
Eagles

Your tips seem spot on. I would love for North to get up though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet there were no such things as a salary cap or draft in the early 80's, which discounts that era too.

Every great era had some luck which led to rule changes.

Collingwood in the 1920's had the stupid challenge rule.
Melbourne in the 1950's used their exclusive use of the MCG to their advantage.

So they could ALL be discounted with an Asterisk but EVERY premiership has been won under the rules which existed at the time (except Essendon 1993 and Carlton 1995 who were both cheating the salary cap but that's another story).

Every great era had some luck which led to rule changes.

Collingwood in the 1920's had the stupid challenge rule.
Melbourne in the 1950's used their exclusive use of the MCG to their advantage.

So they could ALL be discounted with an Asterisk but EVERY premiership has been won under the rules which existed at the time (except Essendon 1993 and Carlton 1995 who were both cheating the salary cap but that's another story).

Everyone had access to the challenge rule though, just like everyone has access to the father-son rule. Not everyone had access to Hawthorn's zone in the 80's.

Everyone had access to the challenge rule though, just like everyone has access to the father-son rule. Not everyone had access to Hawthorn's zone in the 80's.
Father son rule was a dogs breakfast of differing rules depending on the club. Obviously this will only start to change in the next decade when the newer clubs might start to have some reach that age group.

True, but everyone had access to a zone, just happened that Hawks produced good players in theirs.

Not everyone had access to Geelong's F/S choices.

Like I said, all great era's have had some good fortune. The AFL is slowly trying to level the playing field. No-one can take away Cats 3 flags from 2007-11, just as they cannot take away Hawks 5 flags fro 1983-91.

We should both be happy with our clubs efforts.

Worst fans in the league.

tumblr_lya3o1Yhrs1r49zxv.gif

True, but everyone had access to a zone, just happened that Hawks produced good players in theirs.

Not everyone had access to Geelong's F/S choices.

Like I said, all great era's have had some good fortune. The AFL is slowly trying to level the playing field. No-one can take away Cats 3 flags from 2007-11, just as they cannot take away Hawks 5 flags fro 1983-91.

We should both be happy with our clubs efforts.

Of all Geelong's father and son picks that played in our flags (Scarlett, the Abblets, Mark Blake and Hawkins) only one (Hawkins) was valued as a top draft selection prior to the draft. Even Gary Jnr was only getting publicity because of his fathers name, so I hardly see how the F/S rule gave Geelong a critical advantage, when most clubs weren't that interested in the players to begin with. Two of those F/S (Scarlett and G.Abblet) have turned into champion players, however Abblet left before the 2011 flag. Hawkins has now reached a stage where he's delivering on his early hype but it's quite possible that had a lot of other teams drafted him he may have been discarded and never given the chance to develop given his lack of form in his first 4.5 years at the club. Countering the perceived advantage of our F/S is the fact that our premiership teams never had a draft selection below 7.

I think they have done very well this year, especially in the latter half of the year.

They are probably the form side of the competition along with the Hawks and Cats, it's a shame they have run into Geelong at the first hurdle, they'll give a good account of themselves but the Cats experience and ability to play the G will get them over the line.

Macpharlin is a massive loss.

I think the best 4 teams the finals this year are Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Freo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back