Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

How exactly has he done a number on St Kilda? He took them to two grand finals whereby they lost one by a goal, the other was a draw and they were flogged in the replay.

St Kilda did a number on themselves by appointing Scott Watters.

It absolutely baffles me the flack he cops for St Kilda after giving them two chances in consecutive years. Not to mention he took Fremantle to their maiden GF appearance.

Exactly. People remember the guns on that Saints side like Reiwoldt, Milne, Hayes, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo, Ball and Fisher.

But they don't remember the players that they and Ross's game plan absolutely carried and covered in Ray, Dawson, McQualter, Clarke, Eddy, Blake, Jones, Dempster (who became a good player), Baker, Gilbert, Peake, Kosi, etc.

He did a great job there and again with Freo early on, with similar calibre quality and poor players alike that his game plan could cover.

Last edited:
Ross Lyon should go to GWS srs. He’s great at turning talented but underperforming lists into defensive powerhouses who dominate for a couple of years before collapsing into the absys and never recovering.

Might jag them a flag and Freo can actually rebuild. Lyon has never shown any ability to blood younger players or build a list.
Lyon's best work has been inheriting good sides on the cusp of greatness.

Hasn't proven at any time whether he can rebuild a team. Time will tell whether he can achieve it at Fremantle.

Plenty of improvement to the list to come.

Cerra, Brayshaw, Blakely, Logue, Darcy, Pearce, Ryan, Cox and maybe Giro is a very young list of highly talented players.

They'll get pick 6 this year in a good draft.

Have arguably the best player in the league in Fyfe who just needs to stay on the park.

It's not panic stations, but they need to bridge the gap between Fyfe, Neale and Mundy and the rest (Walters nearer the top).

Yeah quakking in the boots.No other club has drafted young players im the last few years or even ever before.Its a totally new revolutionary concept.Not saying the rebuild is a crock of shit but ****.

Lyon needs to go to a club with a winning culture.

Saints and Freo arguably the two most unsuccessful clubs in AFL/VFL history.

Geelong can put the hurt on bad teams, have a history of it. I think if the coach was anyone else he'd get the sack after that performance.

I find this interesting. 1st I think you’re right, we can absolutely belt lower ranked sides BUT our overall record against top sides and bottom sides over a long period of time in terms of W-L is very even.
We lose to ordinary sides more than most but belt them other times.

Anyway on topic, Lyon should be sacked. If you’re going to suck at least play a good style of footy.
For Freo fans, why even bother watching?

Our list is pretty bad. We could sack Lyon tomorrow, appoint a Neeld / Watters like coach and drift in the bottom reaches for a decade. Saving a miracle, I don't see any way out of this mess. We've made poor decisions in footy management part of the club (drafting, recruiting, assistant coach appointments) for a very long time, many of them pre-dating Lyon.

Our list is pretty bad. We could sack Lyon tomorrow, appoint a Neeld / Watters like coach and drift in the bottom reaches for a decade. Saving a miracle, I don't see any way out of this mess. We've made poor decisions in footy management part of the club (drafting, recruiting, assistant coach appointments) for a very long time, many of them pre-dating Lyon.

trade Fyfe for a rebuild????

:devil:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The longer Lyon stays the more chance other players will want to leave and it will be harder to attract other players with the game plan he has.
These development years will not be about development under Lyon but survival, these young guys will not fulfill their potential under Lyon.

When Lyon first came, the pressure was very high and you can somewhat mask some skill issues. Where the hell is that pressure.
Watching a number of their games this year, it looks like the workrate without the ball is almost non existent, making their turnovers look pretty bad.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ross Lyon should go to GWS srs. He’s great at turning talented but underperforming lists into defensive powerhouses who dominate for a couple of years before collapsing into the absys and never recovering.

Might jag them a flag and Freo can actually rebuild. Lyon has never shown any ability to blood younger players or build a list.
He'd be better off going to port of any of the current clubs and their situation, but he won't get another senior job unless he manages to turn Freo around

It's not that bad outside of the forward the line, stop giving validity to this narrative

I do love the revisionist shit going on about how he fluked getting two clubs to a grand final, two of the most unsuccessful clubs in vfl/afl history, because it somehow fell into his lap. The guy could definitely coach, hate him for his personality, but the guy knows how to get the best out of plodders.

I dont like knee-jerk reactions but its hard to back him up after a game like that. The problem I have is most of the time, new coaches are shit for years. If we got rid of him for JL, Ratten or Caracella I'd almost guarantee we go backwards in the short term. If Lyon has lost the players though, it would be a bandaid that needs ripping.

I had no idea about Simpson until he was in contention for the coaching position. There are a lot of decent coaches coming through coaching programs that could have a real crack at it. Freo just need something new or different. It all seems same old.

When Lyon first came, the pressure was very high and you can somewhat mask some skill issues. Where the hell is that pressure.
Watching a number of their games this year, it looks like the workrate without the ball is almost non existent, making their turnovers look pretty bad.

I’m happy to cop criticism from anywhere... except from Carlton supporters.

Crowley, Mayne, de Boer, Mzungu, Barlow, Spurr, would have held at least a fair chunk of the tackles that Freo players missed today, and they would have known where to be well before that. Didn't always win the game but it rarely looked as bad.

Lyon does get the tick for legitimately going the rebuild, playing youth over established players, not selling out the club looking for a quick fix (the only 25+ players traded in in recent years has been for spare change) and bringing in young talent.

**** knows if he knows what to do with it though.

Crowley, Mayne, de Boer, Mzungu, Barlow, Spurr, would have held at least a fair chunk of the tackles that Freo players missed today, and they would have known where to be well before that. Didn't always win the game but it rarely looked as bad.

Lyon does get the tick for legitimately going the rebuild, playing youth over established players, not selling out the club looking for a quick fix (the only 25+ players traded in in recent years has been for spare change) and bringing in young talent.

**** knows if he knows what to do with it though.
You need a fresh start ,I am not sure Dew will do better than Eade but most people are more forgiving with new Toys than the same old .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back