Fremantles lack of scoring power

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact is you're statistically the worst performing team that happens to sit on the top of the ladder.

You're not much better than what North Melbourne was in 2014 and they were found out at the preliminary final with the thrashing to end all thrashings.

You're going to bow out in straight sets.

Thems the "facts"

Are you 15?

I

Clarkson admitted on the weekend. Top two is the focus for your team. You have to hope others lose because you haven't been good enough to get to top two otherwise.

Thems the facts.

I stated facts of my own that were since mysteriously deleted (presumably by a Freo mod ? hehe), but your own side is not performing to the best of the "ability" that a team currently 1st place in a competition should be. That spells danger signs for when the finals action really kicks off. If I was a Fremantle supporter I would be concerned about this as there are not many weeks left to get into "decent" form, the kind of form that would see at least a preliminary final appearance let alone to make or win a grand final.

This. They'll be there on the last day in september and their game plan will give them every shot at winning it all.

It's a non-issue blown up by drongos on here wanting any excuse to sink the boots in.
It's only a non-issue if they get to play teams other than the Eagles and Hawthorn(proven heavy scorers) in the finals.

Fremantle are currently ranked 9th for points scored, the last time they scored over 100 points was back in round 6. their highest goal scorer is 34 years of age and showing signs of really slowing down. the only dangerous option forward is michael walters, arguably the games best small fwd (probably edged out by eddie betts right now), but its too much for him to carry alone as demonstrated on the weekend... mayne wont be much help as he's more of a defensive medium tall that is yet to crack the 30 goal mark this season

so the question is how does ross lyon fix this? time is running out with only 3 games remaining before finals and a lack of option depth wise due to lack of game time afford to young players like weller, langdon etc. who could have provided them with another avenue to goal

How long are you going to indulge your anti-Freo obsession?

Time you built a bridge and got over Lyon walking out on your lot

Are you blaming the game plan? (which almost got the flag in 13 except for errant kicking)
Are you blaming the coach? (ditto to above - and wouldve got your team a flag if a ball bounced a few centimetres closer to Milne)

Or are you blaming individual players? Because that is the only reasonable complaint to made is the lack of consistency of their forwards... But if you blame individual players than you can no longer try to put blame on Lyon or on a gameplan - take your pick.

The fact is - they are still on top of the ladder by almost 2 games- and should remain there (or at least top 2) when the finals start.

I don't understand why they keep having to play the Hawks in Tassie - and I'm not sure how much you can take from that result... I suspect a Freo-Hawks final would look very different.

As back-to-back champs the Hawks are clearlt still favourites - but i dont think anyone would relish having to face the Dockers in a final, particularly if its in Perth.

I don't think the game plan is as big of a problem as lack of talent.

With Ballantyne having a down year and injuries it really leaves Pav and Walters as the 2 dangerous forwards. Mayne might be a 3rd.

Compared to Hawthorn (Breust, Roughy, Rioli, Gunston, Puopolo) and West Coast (Kennedy, Darling, Cripps, Hill, Le Cras) it's just not enough.

Maybe Ballantyne and Mayne get back in to form and start kicking more goals but if they don't it's a problem.

If I was Ross I'd try Fyfe as a permanent forward at least against Melbourne and see if anyone else besides Mundy and Neale can get the job done in the midfield.

I don't think the game plan is as big of a problem as lack of talent.

With Ballantyne having a down year and injuries it really leaves Pav and Walters as the 2 dangerous forwards. Mayne might be a 3rd.

Compared to Hawthorn (Breust, Roughy, Rioli, Gunston, Puopolo) and West Coast (Kennedy, Darling, Cripps, Hill, Le Cras) it's just not enough.

Maybe Ballantyne and Mayne get back in to form and start kicking more goals but if they don't it's a problem.

If I was Ross I'd try Fyfe as a permanent forward at least against Melbourne and see if anyone else besides Mundy and Neale can get the job done in the midfield.

agree with this

but i also think how ross develops sides and manages them is an issue

Which is also the year that Freo finished 3rd, West Coast 1st and Freo smashed West Coast in the second derby.

West Coast won the premiership that year.

Sort of sounds like this year with the roles reversed if you ask me.
Difference being we played a Paul Roos coached side in the grand final, not an Alastair Clarkson one ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle 's game plan is good. As was noted in 2013, they made it to a Grand Final and almost won a Premiership.

Their issue is the lack of scoring. Teams give it that little bit extra in the finals, and for offensive teams, it means more scoring. I don't think they are able to keep up with teams that have a decent defence and a good offence (Like Hawthorn, Bulldogs and West Coast) in the finals. A good defence alone does not hold up too well in finals, and neither does a good offence alone.

Fremantle were defensive in 2013 too, but made a Grand Final. From my memory, the key difference between now and then was that they were able to score high scores. I can't remember many Grand Finalists in the modern day (including Fremantle in 2013) with such an inability to score, making me think that they will not make a Grand Final this year unless they rectify this.

I'd rather Fremantle win out of all teams in the finals bar Richmond, so I hope they resolve this quickly before finals approaches.

I agree with this completely, but, the way their game plan holds up won't cut it against Hawthorn or West Coast. Both sides have a game plan that counters the slower Fremantle defensive approach. 'Clarko's cluster and the West Coast Web' is simply a rolling style from wing to wing that provides coverage against a slow style approach and forces the opposition to kick to the boundary. When this occurs, the hawks win a stoppage through their A grade midfield and the Eagles dominate through A grade rucks and hard running mids.

Now, if they don't go to the boundary they chip it about through the ground but eventually turn it over due to pressure from their opposition (I am talking about Hawthorn and West Coast here).

Kicking a low winning score is fine, and certainly no knocks on that, but your opponent needs to not be Hawthorn or West Coast!

Clarko's cluster!!! Pass. Sickening thought really and west coast's web have got nothing on freo's seemingly web of invisibility. I can't believe people think we haven't got fire power.

there's a reason why the two highest scoring teams are west coast and hawthorn. roghhead gunston bruest rioli kennedy darling lacras hill plus capable ruckmen pinch hitting.

it takes talent to score points. not that freos forward line is bad but it's by far the shallowest of the top 4 and as a result they won't be winning any shootouts with the best teams.

Care to name who you think will be in freo's final forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantles lack of scoring power

Remove this Banner Ad

Back