Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, I dunno... You'd have to ask them

Probably because people aren't interested.

They don't happen in the final minute of a game and directly impact who wins and loses.
Every decision that results in a goal impacts who wins and loses. The game may only be close with 30 seconds less because of those decisions resulting in goals earlier in the game. Speaking generally ofc not about this game

You still haven't answered my simple question... Why won't they show us the down-the-ground footage?

They have cameras behind both goals. So let's see it... Why won't they show us?

1) Let's see just how much the ball deflected off Aish.
2) Let's see exactly where the 4 blind maggots were standing and why they failed to see it. Pretty crucial, no?

The down-the-ground footage would reveal all.... But instead we get the replays from every other angle which doesn't show us either of the above.

So much has been said about this incident, but has anyone actually told us exactly where the 4 umps where standing and why they failed to see the ball deflect off Aish? All I've heard is a bunch of excuses and rationalisations.

I've made this same point over and over, but for some reason, you refuse to acknowledge this. And you reckon I'm the one who is struggling to keep up... You reckon I'm the one who won't listen... I already answered your points, but you won't answer my simple question.

Why are you so obsessed with one umpiring mistake? Because it happened at the end of the game? Because it happened in the forward 50? Players and umpires constantly make mistakes, move on. Why do we need to be told exactly where each umpire was standing?

Umpiring is an extremely tough job at the best of times.

You do understand that umpires are at ground level and there's like 18 players around the ball right? The deflection was actually pretty easy to miss in real time.

No you didn't, you have twice said players would be in charge of calling for reviews.
Christ dude your comprehension sucks.

No offence but I can't be bothered reading your wall of text, and I didn't really bother reading your previous posts either.

Why are you so obsessed with one umpiring mistake?
Mistakes happen. My real interest in all of this is the way in which the AFL controls the narrative with their bootlicking media.

You expect it with the content on the AFL website and with shills like Damien Barrett and Kane Cornes. But I find it pretty amazing the way they've been able to get Fox Footy to withhold the down-the-ground footage and have the guys from 360 and OTC trying to minimise the story and tell everyone "shit happens, move on"

The media are normally happy to revel in any sort of controversy and beat these things to death.

Case in point: James Sicily was reported for "kicking" Andy McGrath. The tribunal rightfully downgraded his footsies to a $2500 fine. But this didn't stop 360 from replaying that incident literally 50 times, with Robbo ranting and raving about how the AFL has let the game down.

I don't see that happening here. Everyone normally goes crazy about bad umpiring - I listened to Garry Lyon bagging the umps for 2 hours the other night - but when the umps make a crucial mistake which costs Fremantle the game, suddenly they're all united in telling us not to worry about the umpires. :D

Maybe I'm on my own, but I don't like this cosy relationship between the AFL and their suckholes in the media. I preferred the old days before we became North Korea... when the (independent) media would hold the AFL to account and apply the blowtorch and write scathing articles about their failures to administer the game properly.

Last edited:
Christ dude your comprehension sucks.

No offence but I can't be bothered reading your wall of text, and I didn't really bother reading your previous posts either.
No offense taken at all
You've had a shocker and just trying poorly to save face while you crawl away

Mistakes happen. My real interest in all of this is the way in which the AFL controls the narrative with their bootlicking media.

You expect it with the content on the AFL website and with shills like Damien Barrett and Kane Cornes. But I find it pretty amazing the way they've been able to get Fox Footy to withhold the down-the-ground footage and have the guys from 360 and OTC trying to minimise the story and tell everyone "s**t happens, move on"

The media are normally happy to revel in any sort of controversy and beat these things to death.

Case in point: James Sicily was reported for "kicking" Andy McGrath. The tribunal rightfully downgraded his footsies to a $2500 fine. But this didn't stop 360 from replaying that incident literally 50 times, with Robbo ranting and raving about how the AFL has let the game down.

I don't see that happening here. Everyone normally goes crazy about bad umpiring - I listened to Garry Lyon bagging the umps for 2 hours the other night - but when the umps make a crucial mistake which costs Fremantle the game, suddenly they're all united in telling us not to worry about the umpires. :D

Maybe I'm on my own, but I don't like this cosy relationship between the AFL and their suckholes in the media. I preferred the old days before we became North Korea... when the (independent) media would hold the AFL to account and apply the blowtorch and write scathing articles about their failures to administer the game properly.

So you just want a different camera angle so the umpires can further be publicly shamed and bashed for their mistake?

Okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You struggled to maintain a consistent thought through 3 posts, so I think I'd pass on any lessons from you anyway
It's very hard to teach a child anything when they're having a meltdown Todd.
Take a deep breath, it will hopefully help you calm down a little bit.

You still haven't answered my simple question... Why won't they show us the down-the-ground footage?

They have cameras behind both goals. So let's see it... Why won't they show us?

2) Let's see exactly where the 4 blind maggots were standing and why they failed to see it. Pretty crucial, no?

The down-the-ground footage would reveal all.... But instead we get the replays from every other angle which doesn't show us either of the above.

So much has been said about this incident, but has anyone actually told us exactly where the 4 umps where standing and why they failed to see the ball deflect off Aish? All I've heard is a bunch of excuses and rationalisations.

I've made this same point over and over, but for some reason, you refuse to acknowledge this. And you reckon I'm the one who is struggling to keep up... You reckon I'm the one who won't listen... I already answered your points, but you won't answer my simple question.
To what end?
We know it was touched. We know it was an error. We know it deviated. There's nothing else to gain from one last angle that wouldn't be much different from 1 or 2 other angles we've already seen. You're flogging a dead horse.
All of the angles I've seen, including the fan footage, are almost impossible to tell in real time (watch the first 7 seconds only of the fan clip you posted). The deflection happens so quick that it's hard to tell if it changes angles, or if that's just the angle it came off the boot. And that's with a clear path view.

Using terms like 4 blind maggots just shows that you're far too emotionally invested in this. Move on.

To what end?
It's in the post which you quoted... [sigh] I'll copy/paste it for you to read again

Why are they hiding it from us?

The down-the-ground footage would reveal all.... But instead we get the replays from every other angle which doesn't show us either of the above. So much has been said about this incident, but has anyone actually told us exactly where the 4 umps where standing and why they failed to see the ball deflect off Aish? All I've heard is a bunch of excuses and rationalisations.

There's nothing else to gain from one last angle that wouldn't be much different from 1 or 2 other angles we've already seen.
Laughable.

The behind the goals footage would be the best angle to view this entire play, to see the full extent of the deflection and see exactly where the umps were standing.

We ALWAYS get to see the footage from behind the goals for pretty inconsequential stuff. e.g. the experts showing us how "lazy" Collingwood's midfielders were for letting their opponents run off them and score a goal.

Amazing how they're choosing not to show us the best camera footage of the Hewett kick & Aish's smother which has caused all the controversy. (Probably the most controversial finish we're likely to see this year)

Since when has the media pulled this sort of shit and denied everyone the best & most revealing camera footage?

All of the angles I've seen, including the fan footage, are almost impossible to tell in real time (watch the first 7 seconds only of the fan clip you posted).
Open your other eye, dude. You are being biased and blind. It's as clear as day. The players are probably 120m away and they look like ants in that phone clip. Despite that, you can clearly see the kick swerve up high and off to the left at a weird angle.

All of the other angles they've shown, yep, it's very difficult to see... Which is why they only show those angles. Deliberately letting the umps off the hook.

A correctly positioned umpire standing 30m off the pack in a central position would've clearly seen the deflection and called it "touched".

You're flogging a dead horse.
Yeah. But that's only because the biased Blues fans in this thread keep replying to my posts without reading and comprehending what I've written and they make me repeat myself.

Using terms like 4 blind maggots just shows that you're far too emotionally invested in this.
Pfft. It's just a throwaway line. I don't normally call them that. I'm making an exception for this incident.

As I've said, I accept the umpires are human and they make errors. My real interest in all of this is the way the AFL have gone into damage control (umpire-bashing minimisation) and they've leaned on Fox Footy to toe the party line and not show everyone the clear footage.

I think that sucks. It's censorship. Who the hell do they think they are?

That's the reason why I started this thread. Because I could see they were trying to bullshit the footy public on afl.com.

You move on.

You're the one who has nothing of substance to offer this thread.

You're the one who doesn't want to have the discussion. So why are you posting here and telling me to move on? :rolleyes:

This is a discussion board for all AFL fans. There's plenty of other threads for you to read if you don't like this one.

Last edited:
If I am gullible you struggle with comprehension. I clearly said that they showed three different angles of the kick being touched. Nobody is denying that it was touched.

They also showed the behind the goals footage of Clark yelling at the umpire.

There is no conspiracy. Only in your head.
I love questioning the comprehension we all understand that everyone agrees it was touched. That’s not what we are discussing.

What we are arguing is why they won’t reveal the footage of the best angle.

They have lied that it isn’t available, they now show parts of the best angles but edit it at the most important parts.

Almost like there is something to cover up. These slightly better shots didn’t come out until after the twitter video was released. How is it that the best footage we have is from 150meters away by a pundit in the crowd?

Interesting to read the back and forth from both sides over the last few days. The AFL has already conceded that the wrong call was made in terms of the mark that was paid to Cottrell so there's no point in debating that. Would it have changed the result if they had called play on in that moment? It's an impossible question to answer as Freo were up by two points, the ball was approximately 25m away from Carlton's goal, there was still 1m 25s left on the clock and Cottrell looked like he was about to be tackled. It's entirely possible a ball up after that scenario leads to Carlton kicking the winning goal, just like it's possible that Fremantle exit their D50 and hold on for a win. We'll never know what would have happened.

So the real question in my mind is - could this scenario have been realistically avoided? Under the current rules it would appear the answer is no. It seemed like every Fremantle player in the backline at the time was adamant that the kick was touched and they vocalised their belief to the umpire but there's currently no mechanism for correction in such a scenario. In the past it would have been easy to just write it off with 'bad luck' and 'it happens to every team at some point' type of responses, but these days we have the technology that allows for reviews from multiple angles to take place in real time like they do in other pro sports.

I think it's fair to say we'd all prefer the correct call to be made if it was our own team in Fremantle's situation. So until you're on the receiving end of a decision like this or the R23 Ben Keays' goal that was called a behind and literally cost Adelaide a spot in the finals last year, you're probably not going to feel that strongly about it being addressed. Maybe it'll be a different story when this eventually happens to a big Victorian club. Time will tell.

Even if a review was possible, it results in a ball up at the top of the square, there is a good chance Carlton score again regardless, to say that this one decision is the reason Carlton win is ridiculous.

Where is the criticism of Freo for playing ‘anti football’ their game style ensured they didn’t get blown off the park but ensured that even when they had periods of dominance they were unable to hurt Carlton enough to create a big enough gap on the scoreboard.

Isn't that why we now have FOUR field umpires?

Maybe the AFL should get a new umpires' coach who can teach them how to position themselves properly when 30 players are packed inside fifty, so we don't get these awful errors.

Would hate to see a repeat performance this weekend. Imagine if Collingwood lose this year's Grand Final because 4 field umpires don't see the ball bouncing 30 degrees up & left off Quaynor's shoulder and Charlie Curnow takes the mark and kicks the winning goal. Oh well. Move on, Pies fans... :D

Anyway, as I've said a few times, it's not the umpire's error which really bothers me. It's the way the AFL fail to properly own it by getting the media to withhold the most embarrassing footage and trying to minimise the umpire error by acting as though it was a glancing touch and easy to miss.

I wouldn't have a problem if they just put their hand up and admitted it was an inexcusable error and they were doing everything they could to ensure it doesn't happen again. It'd be great to hear them say they were retraining their umpires to spread out in a more effective way, so the 4 umps cover all the angles and don't make these f**k-ups.

The AFL treats us footy fans like we're a bunch of mugs.
You are thinking way too hard about this. Either that or we've all taken the blue pill and exist within the Matrix

Where is the criticism of Freo for playing ‘anti football’ their game style ensured they didn’t get blown off the park but ensured that even when they had periods of dominance they were unable to hurt Carlton enough to create a big enough gap on the scoreboard.

We had a third-gamer playing on Charlie Curnow, are we supposed to make it easy for them to move the ball?

You are thinking way too hard about this. Either that or we've all taken the blue pill and exist within the Matrix
I'm not overthinking this at all.

It's a simple basic question: why haven't they showed us the down-the-ground footage of Hewett's kick from behind both goals?

Not ONE of you have provided a satisfactory answer. (I'm waiting...)

All you Carlton flogs can make your idiotic conspiracy theory jibes, but until you come up with a good reason why they haven't shown us, then I'll stick with my belief the AFL have told Fox Footy not to show it, in order to spare the umpires from further embarrassment about missing such an obvious deflection. This is not a big stretch of the imagination, by the way. It's how the AFL operates.

Look at this thread. Many of you seem convinced that this was an understandable mistake and these things happen all the time, despite the clip from Twitter showing it was an absolute shocker. You believe the AFL media narrative.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. :thumbsu: :rainbow:

edit: the thing which makes me laugh is that all of you would be singing a completely different tune if it was Carlton that lost the game due to a shocking umpire error in the final minute and then the AFL went into damage control and told Fox Footy not to replay the most damning footage. You'd be carrying on like the Freo fans, pissing & moaning about the AFL conspiracy against Carlton. It's classic Big Footy. Numpty Central.

Last edited:

You expect it with the content on the AFL website and with shills like Damien Barrett and Kane Cornes. But I find it pretty amazing the way they've been able to get Fox Footy to withhold the down-the-ground footage and have the guys from 360 and OTC trying to minimise the story and tell everyone "s**t happens, move on"

If you think this is the only cover up you should go back to Freo's game against North in R2 where the ball was kicked out deliberately just before the siren went but a free kick wasn't given due to the siren.

AFL then came out saying it appeared that way because the live video and audio weren't synced. Released an editted video where the siren does go as the ball crosses (woo!) but the umpire's mouth is now out of sync with the audio.

Original (Siren at 3:28 and Umpire Explanation at about 4:05)

"Synced" Cover-up vid (Umpire Explanation at about 0:36)

The AFL thinks we're all stupid/doesn't care either way.

6 of the last 7 wins Carlton’s way. The games are always incredibly boring for 115 minutes until Fremantle do something undisciplined or they slip up defensively.

I wouldn’t say I’m looking forward to the next meet at all. However a bankable win in the fixture is always nice.

Lol.

Laughing at all the Blues nuffies posting here,. If the shoe was on the other foot you would all be throwing the toys out the cot and crying like babies.

Im looking forward to karma biting you on the arse. Freo kocking the Blues out of finals by less than a kick would do the job nicely.

So now a replay is showing the ball was touched twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back