List Mgmt. Freo's Indigenous Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know any more about the backround of Michael Walters' father, or even saw him play?

I've been curious about it since I saw Gilbert McAdam mention on Marngrook that he played with him in the SANFL (which would have been for Central Districts in the late 80's or early 90's).

One story is that the name Son Son was given to Michael on the train trip from South Australia to Perth, but did Michael's father play in WA before heading to the SANFL?

Last edited:
Does anyone know any more about the backround of Michael Walters' father, or even saw him play?

I've been curious about it since I saw Gilbert McAdam mention on Marngrook that he played with him in the SANFL (which would have been for Central Districts in the late 80's or early 90's).

One story is that the name Son Son was given to Michael on the train trip from South Australia to Perth, but did Michael's father play in WA before heading to the SANFL?

99% sure Michael Walters Fathers name is also Michael Walters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Mike Walters played 7 games in 1985/86 for 8 goals.
http://www.cdfc.com.au/club-news/centrals-indigenous-greats/

I just went back and checked something I saw on facebook the other day. Check out the pic of Walters Snr. The apple didn't fall far from the tree

18df525aa054db99d319802d6012bfe4.png

I just went back and checked something I saw on facebook the other day. Check out the pic of Walters Snr. The apple didn't fall far from the tree

18df525aa054db99d319802d6012bfe4.png

He doesn't look fat at all... no skin fold issues there. Must be from his mothers side? :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

99% sure Michael Walters Fathers name is also Michael Walters

100% sure it is. Mick Walters used to work for me, really nice guy and looks very similar to son son. Talks down his own football ability, but probably being modest.

I went to Salisbury High School SA with Malcolm Walters whose brother was Michael Walters father of Michael Walters the Freo fotballer. I'm assuming that Mickey, as he was known, grew up in the Salisbury area. I'm not sure of the season, but before 1988 he won Central Districts Reserves B&F. He went on to play for Salisbury FC in 1988. He was a champion player and while not tall was played mainly at Full Forward. He could take a screamer and had a prodigious kick on him. I once asked him how he could kick the ball so long and just said " Its all about the timing". I don't know when he went to Perth but it is probable that he played in WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back