B: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Yeo McGovern Duggan
C: Gaff Shuey Jetta
HF: Cripps Darling Venables
F: Lecras Waterman Ryan
R: Lycett Redden Sheed
IC: McInnes/NicNat Cole Hutchings Ainsworth
E: Brander Masten Nelson

Think we saw across the two JLT games, particularly yesterday, what the match committee considers to be the best 22 at the moment.

If Rioli doesn't get up or isn't risked (which would be wise, given his recent injury history) then Ainsworth gets the final spot. I think we're a little off balance if all of Rioli/Ryan/Lecca/Cripps play anyway. I know Richmond just won a flag with a team of 20 small forwards but I don't think it'll work for everyone.

Cole seems to have the inside running on the final spot in defence, hopefully he gets a month or so to cement himself.

That team has four debutants (Ryan, Waterman, Venables and Ainsworth), plus Brander as an emergency and Rioli on the cusp. Four would be the most debutants we've played in a game since about 1990 I think.

Think we saw across the two JLT games, particularly yesterday, what the match committee considers to be the best 22 at the moment.

If Rioli doesn't get up or isn't risked (which would be wise, given his recent injury history) then Ainsworth gets the final spot. I think we're a little off balance if all of Rioli/Ryan/Lecca/Cripps play anyway. I know Richmond just won a flag with a team of 20 small forwards but I don't think it'll work for everyone.

Cole seems to have the inside running on the final spot in defence, hopefully he gets a month or so to cement himself.

That team has four debutants (Ryan, Waterman, Venables and Ainsworth), plus Brander as an emergency and Rioli on the cusp. Four would be the most debutants we've played in a game since about 1990 I think.
I feel like this forward line could seriouslyyy struggle to kick a winning score

Great team! Mine was very similar with only a few changes (debutantes highlighted).

IC: NicNat Cole Hutchings, Rioli
E: Waterman Ainsworth Nelson

I'm hoping that McInnes has a great game if he gets the call up. Would prefer we didn't have to swing Gov forward to be the key marking target that Darling sadly doesn't provide. I think Rioli will play at the expense of Ainsworth but who knows.

B: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
HB: Watson, McGovern, Cole
C: Gaff, Duggan, Jetta
HF: Cripps, Darling, Venables,
F: Ryan, Waterman, Lecras,
R: Lycett, Shuey, Yeo,
B: Sheed, Redden, Hutchings, Schofield

The debutants are highlighted in green and having four could be too much (the match committee would be most courageous to do this). I have brought in Watson and Cole, so we can release Yeo and Duggan from the defence to have greater on-ball presence. Our midfield continues to be our weakest link and the only way I can see it improving is with addition of Naitanui, and players like Duggan, Yeo, Sheed, and Venables getting more time and experience in the machinery. I have also brought in Schofield to give Lycett a hand in ruck duties, and give us another option at both ends if needed.

Looking pretty likely that we'll have at least three debutants in Round 1: Ryan, Venables and Waterman. Ainsworth a chance, Rioli a chance if he's fit, Brander a sneaky chance.

This would be right up there with the most we've ever blooded in one match. The only times we've played more than two AFL debutants in the same match (that I can find):

Round 1 1987: 15
Round 1 1989: 5 (Sumich, Pyke, Turley, Breman, Ellis)
Round 1 1990: 4 (Matera, Kemp, Irving, Gwilliam)

Looking pretty likely that we'll have at least three debutants in Round 1: Ryan, Venables and Waterman. Ainsworth a chance, Rioli a chance if he's fit, Brander a sneaky chance.

This would be right up there with the most we've ever blooded in one match. The only times we've played more than two AFL debutants in the same match (that I can find):

Round 1 1987: 15
Round 1 1989: 5 (Sumich, Pyke, Turley, Breman, Ellis)
Round 1 1990: 4 (Matera, Kemp, Irving, Gwilliam)

4 in one game would be as many debutants as we've had in the last 2 years (Cole, Karpany, Mutimer, Partington). Cray

Who could debut this year:

Ryan - Did enough during the JLT to get a round 1 gig.

Rioli - Showed enough BUT his body will keep him back for a round 1 gig.

Waterman - Same as Ryan showed enough to warrant a round 1 berth.

Ainsworth - Been talked up a fair bit by coaches and players. Played all pre-season games. Not sure he plays round 1 but would be close to getting a game in the early rounds.

Venables - Will be close to a round 1 berth you would think. Hope he doesn't languish in the forward line and is given some mid minutes.

Brander - Possible round 1 inclusion but if not will get a game later in the year.

After the pre season cole definitely gets a game round 1, which along with jetta going back frees up both yeo and duggan to play predominantly midfeild.
Venables will get a game starting forward as he can also rotate through the middle, that means only one spot left for either ryan or rioli. At this stage especially with his injury troubles ill go ryan.

Ainsworth - Been talked up a fair bit by coaches and players. Played all pre-season games. Not sure he plays round 1 but would be close to getting a game in the early rounds.

Venables - Will be close to a round 1 berth you would think. Hope he doesn't languish in the forward line and is given some mid minutes.

Brander - Possible round 1 inclusion but if not will get a game later in the year.

Watson also not far away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Hurn Barrass Cole
HB: Sheppard McGovern Duggan
C: Gaff Redden Jetta
HF: Cripps Waterman Ryan
F: Not LeCras Darling Rioli
R: Lycett Shuey Yeo

INT: Sheed Hutchings Venables Nic Nat

Darling needs to go he's weak as

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think the club and simmo will absolutely give him the benefit of the doubt especially with JK out. Runs on the board and all that.

I agree his pre season form is worrying but let's give him a go at the real stuff, Shuey looked like a **** wit on the weekend let's take a breath

I would have thought that both Matt and Oscar Allen will debut at some point this season.

Maybe Brayshaw depending on WAFL form.

From the OP I'd say these 4 are definitely playing against Sydney Ryan, Waterman, Venables, Hutchings, question over Naitanui or McIness.

Which leaves a number of guys fighting for 2 spots. My hope is that it's a defender in Cole OR Schofield and Karpany (if available)

Nelson (available), Mutimer (available i think), Partington (same as Mutimer) and around the first 25 - 28 for R1 selection with McInnes, Schofield and Bubba Ainsworth.

For R1 I'd put a line through Rioli (until fit), Brander (2nd's), Allen's X 2 (seconds) and hopefully Masten (Ammo's)

Over the course of the season the fringe players from 2017 (not including new draftees/ yet to debut) that I want to see elevate themselves are Karpany, Cole and Partington/ Venables yet to debut but I think he can be a fringe. Ah Chee is obviously one as a new player as well.

Karpany replacing LeCras inside 50, Cole locking down a regular spot in a small defensive role, Partington/ Venables replacing Masten.

Over the course of the season the fringe players from 2017 (not including new draftees/ yet to debut) that I want to see elevate themselves are Karpany, Cole and Partington/ Venables yet to debut but I think he can be a fringe. Ah Chee is obviously one as a new player as well.

Karpany replacing LeCras inside 50, Cole locking down a regular spot in a small defensive role, Partington/ Venables replacing Masten.
Karpany's done imo, will be delisted at the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back