Funniest Moment On A Football Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Well young HDT 5,
do you remember the wet day playing at west wyalong, when again mr Rod Ward was running into an open goal from about 20 metres out, but just to make sure Rod decides to have a bounce and run all the way to the goal line.
Being wet Rod decides not to actually bounce it but reach down and touch the ground to be safe.
Whats funny about this you ask??

He missed the ground by a good foot and a half.The old hammys wouldnt let him bend any further

The Umpires didnt worry about it though and let the goal stand, and didnt the wyalong boys jump up and down

Hahaha Sanso that's gold! I don't actually remember it but picturing it is too easy and bloody hilarious. Couldn't have been Terry officiating that day mate

Watched a game at south melb districts old ground at lake side oval about 10 years ago where a ball was sailing out of bounds on the full and hit and killed a seagull on the way through the seagull landed dead in the crowd and while young kids gathered around some bloke tried to revive the gull by pumping its chest. quite strange but funny

Actually this happened on the training track, and maybe it's one of those 'you had to be there' incidents, but imagine if you can, the most uncoordinated footballer you have ever seen, and imagine he is both the build and colour of a long cigarette. We were doing circle work, but we were doing it while running backwards. Naturally once you got the ball you turned around and moved forward to dispose of it. We had been doing this for about five minutes when I passed the ball to the unco snoozer. I could see the panic on his face when the ball fell into his hands and I knew he was going to f*** it up. He then attempted to kick the ball over his head while running backwards (a difficult task for the most skilled and acrobatic person) and managed to kick the soggy ball into his own face and landed flat on his back. I still laugh when I think about it. But yeah, maybe you had to be there.

Not one of those have to be there. You described it perfectly. Very, Very funny

It was in the early 90's playing Murray League Seconds against at the time a very low Strathmerton, and from memory I think we were on top of the ladder.

So being coach, and knowing the ball was going to be in our forward line most of the day, I slotted myself at full forward, much to the disgust of the regular FF.

It was a cold and wet day, and by half way through the third Q, we were about 20 goals up and the ball was starting to get pretty heavy.

We had a young bloke(Pat) playing in the centre who could kick the ball about 70 metres and would only travel about 6 - 7 foot high, they were like bullets.

So as usual we have won the centre bounce, young Pat grabbed the pill and streamed out of the centre, at the same time I began my lead from FF, putting myself about 1-2 metres in front of the Strathy FB.

Just as the ball was about to come into my posession, I had a change of heart, remembering the bullets that came from Pat's boot and the weight of the ball, to save my own life I ducked, letting the ball go on to the FB.

It wasn't that funny at the time, to turn around and find the FB sprawled out on the ground in a fair deal of pain in the facial area, but we did have a bit of a giggle after the game.

Playing in a school game on a small ground we were about 15 goals up at this stage of the game, with a pretty strong centre contingent and we were winning every clearance. our centreman had kicked 9 for the day and was trying to kick his 10th, when he thought he would take them on & kick a goal himself after receiving the tap from the ruckman. After managing to get around about 3 or 4 players in the guts, he ran into a wall of players at HF and still didnt want to give it off, tucked the ball under his arm, put his head down and ran straight thru the CHB headbutting him right in the groin area. An all mighty roar of agony was let out, players fell to the ground with laughter including the player with the ball, as he was falling he hanballed it to an opposition player who took it but proceeded to collapse in laughter as well, we tackled him and he got pinged for holding the ball. Very funny!! it took a good 5 mins for our players to stop laughing about the turn of the of events. I can still hear that players "roar of agony" and players around him including his temamates hit the deck in laughter....

I've always been a pretty bad footballer, but my all time lowlight on the field was in an Under 14 match at Sunbury.

I just took a brilliant mark in horribly muddy conditions about 10 metres out from goal and directly in front.

Being the one chance to shine, I went back, pulled the socks up and lined up the two big sticks.

Everything was going perfect until I went to kick the ball, slipped backwards on my rump, only for the ball to land five metres into the chest of a teammate where he kicked the glory goal.

I still get reminded of it to this day :D

I've always been a pretty bad footballer, but my all time lowlight on the field was in an Under 14 match at Sunbury.

I just took a brilliant mark in horribly muddy conditions about 10 metres out from goal and directly in front.

Being the one chance to shine, I went back, pulled the socks up and lined up the two big sticks.

Everything was going perfect until I went to kick the ball, slipped backwards on my rump, only for the ball to land five metres into the chest of a teammate where he kicked the glory goal.

I still get reminded of it to this day :D

I expected better of you pickles:D:thumbsu:

Playing thirds in the Murray League against Tocumwal many years back, it had been raining for a few days before the game.The centre square was very sticky to say the least. A Tocumwal player was running through the middle and about to kick downfield when all of a sudden he hand passes the ball away and starts hopping back towards the centre square.
When I turned around to see what was happening I noticed that the guys artificial leg had come off after getting stuck in the mud.
I wasn't sure if I should laugh or look away, but after seeing this bloke pissing himself with laughter while putting his leg back on, I couldn't hold back the tears.

Playing thirds in the Murray League against Tocumwal many years back, it had been raining for a few days before the game.The centre square was very sticky to say the least. A Tocumwal player was running through the middle and about to kick downfield when all of a sudden he hand passes the ball away and starts hopping back towards the centre square.
When I turned around to see what was happening I noticed that the guys artificial leg had come off after getting stuck in the mud.
I wasn't sure if I should laugh or look away, but after seeing this bloke pissing himself with laughter while putting his leg back on, I couldn't hold back the tears.

New equal leader:thumbsu:

efl years ago. after training everyone having pot shots at the footy bin from about 40 metres to pack up balls. one goes in. the kicker takes a bet for a grand that he cant do it again. guess what???? i see the poor sole every now and again that had to pay up. that was a lot of money then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing forward pocket in under-16 at Coorparoo (some years ago :rolleyes: ), I think I got pinged for a very dubious 'kicking in danger' incident, from memory. Of course full of bravado, I argued the point with the umpire. So he advanced the mark by 15. I then told him that that was a pretty ordinary decision to advance it 15 metres, so he advanced it again. Again I called out, this time saying how big the 15 metres was, and that perhaps he should just advance the mark all the way down to the other goal square ...... guess what? - the barstard did !!!!

Yep - I got dragged ..... :(

One of our umpires got hit in the jatz crackers with the ball because he didn't realise that the ball was going to come in and hit him as it bounced late.:thumbsu: :D

Not bad when it was in a prelim final last year down at Scarsdale footy ground. (illabrook's home ground, too kev. )

when i was 22 i lied about my age so i could play under 12's that season. one game one of my team mates got tackled holding the ball but he was very unhappy about it. so to show his dissappointment, he walked up to the umpire, lay flat on his back and just started shi tting at the umpy like projectile missiles. everyone started laughing and all of a sudden john travolta flew in in his jet with the macarena blaring from the speakers. every player on both teams started doing the macarena and then it turned into a big fat sweaty gang bang. very funny day

U 18's in 2000 we were pumping a team by around 150 points and i was running into an open goal and the only person within 30 meters was one of our players called "ding ding". He was standing in the goalsquare having been left with no opponent because he probably wasnt even sure which way we were going, i felt sorry for him having gone through the first 10 rounds of the season and not getting a single kick so i handpassed it to him and he spun round and ran into the goalpost. no joke.

U 18's in 2000 we were pumping a team by around 150 points and i was running into an open goal and the only person within 30 meters was one of our players called "ding ding". He was standing in the goalsquare having been left with no opponent because he probably wasnt even sure which way we were going, i felt sorry for him having gone through the first 10 rounds of the season and not getting a single kick so i handpassed it to him and he spun round and ran into the goalpost. no joke.

Classic - gotta be up there.

some small quips .....

1. We went out to a QAFL match some years ago when Warwick Capper was playing for Southport against Windsor-Zillmere. This was at the time he was trying to kickstart a movie career :rolleyes: ..... anyway, during the second quarter, the WZ fullback and Capper were having a push-and-shove while the pill was at the other end of the ground. Of course the home WZ crowd was bagging capper something fierce ...... when "CRACK" ..... the fullback unleashed one of the best 'stright drives' I've ever seen and drilled Capper in the nose, dropping him onto his @rse. amongst the cheering and laughing, Capper got up, stormed off the field, threw the jersey at the coach on the interchange bench, and skulked off to his car. The burnout in the carpark which flicked rocks and dirt over other patrons cars, saw the Southport club cop a fine and an official warning. Pretty funny .....

2. A game we played saw their full forward drill a goal low from the edge of the goal square, shattering the windscreen of a car parked behind the fence - but blowing out all four door windows like a bomb going off.

3. Watching an old SQAFA semi-final about 20 years ago at Yeronga, and a dog ran out and attacked the ball. When the umpire and a player both tried to retrieve it, the dog just stood over it, stopped wagging its tail, and growled ....

4. One of the legends at my old Capalaba (now Alexandra Hills) club, is that during their first season at the Windemere Road ground, it rained that much one week that the ground turned into a bog, and our ruckman lost a boot in the centre circle. supposedly, the boot is still somewhere there under about six inches of soil.

Might have posted this somewhere before, yr 2000 Mid South east granny at Tantanoola. The days entertainment was provided by this bloke in the crowd(a ressies player from that leauge i'm sure) who spent the arvo downing a 750 of scotch, letting a bad-ass orange smoke bomb onto the ground during the seniors grand final(couldnt see half the ground when it got going!!) and deciding to have some boxing practice with an umpire who happened to be there watching with his mates. Didn't see any of the plods there all day to put a stop to it either, gotta love the Mid South East leauge!!

A few years back a mate I played in flag with was telling me he filled in for the Albury Jets. His job is looking after mentally handicapped blokes and a few of his clients play. One day he was down watching and they were shattered when they didn't have enough so one of them asked him to fill in. Reluctantly he did but once on put in a true showman performance as he lined himself up at CHF and proceeded to kick 6 goals in the first quarter on the poor opposition CHB who thought the great G.Ablett had landed. He continued to put on a show high fiving and bum slapping riding the wave of emotion as his obviously skills challenged but determined teammates and oppositions watched in awe. All was done in fun though as he put on a 'gun' display for the boys. Cheers mate:D

2. Playing Rutherglen last year the 2's were a bit short and had to use some of the 3rds to fill in. The 3rds boys had a drink and a quick rest in the rooms whilst the 2's ran out and were expected to make their way to the bench. A few went down with injury and they were down to their last player when the coach turn to say out you go to the young fella only to see a bare seat. Confused the coach says "wheres bloody @#$%^&". He then looks up to see the young fella about 7 cars down jump the fence, bolt down the sidelines and onto the ground with half a hotdog hanging out of his mouth trying hard to jam the rest in whilst washing it down with a trusty coke. Needless to say young "Hotdogs" has a new nickname.

A few years back a mate I played in flag with was telling me he filled in for the Albury Jets. His job is looking after mentally handicapped blokes and a few of his clients play. One day he was down watching and they were shattered when they didn't have enough so one of them asked him to fill in. Reluctantly he did but once on put in a true showman performance as he lined himself up at CHF and proceeded to kick 6 goals in the first quarter on the poor opposition CHB who thought the great G.Ablett had landed. He continued to put on a show high fiving and bum slapping riding the wave of emotion as his obviously skills challenged but determined teammates and oppositions watched in awe. All was done in fun though as he put on a 'gun' display for the boys. Cheers mate:D

2. Playing Rutherglen last year the 2's were a bit short and had to use some of the 3rds to fill in. The 3rds boys had a drink and a quick rest in the rooms whilst the 2's ran out and were expected to make their way to the bench. A few went down with injury and they were down to their last player when the coach turn to say out you go to the young fella only to see a bare seat. Confused the coach says "wheres bloody @#$%^&". He then looks up to see the young fella about 7 cars down jump the fence, bolt down the sidelines and onto the ground with half a hotdog hanging out of his mouth trying hard to jam the rest in whilst washing it down with a trusty coke. Needless to say young "Hotdogs" has a new nickname.

I reckon the 2nd tale happens in nearly every country footy league on a weekly basis. Gotta love it

Remove this Banner Ad

Funniest Moment On A Football Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back