Future Developments of Sydney Stadiums

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats exactly why your views on this subject (NSW stadiums funding) are tripe, embarassing & fair dinkum arrogant.
I can't figure out if your trolling or just ignorant. Your position appears to be ANZ should be demolished and replaced with a replica of Perth Stadium.
That this would be unsuitable for the vast majority of it's uses. And removes the large capacity which is the only attraction it has an AFL stadium, has completely escaped you.

Your position appears to be ANZ should be demolished.

IMO a rebuild would be better and probably cheaper than a fix.

ANZ replaced with a replica of Perth Stadium.

Though I wasn't serious at the time, I'm taken aback at the reaction and ignorance of the quality of this stadium.

That this would be unsuitable for the vast majority of it's uses.

No. The viewing at many ovals would be better than ANZ for rectangular games at large games.
It's not the oval configuration that is the biggest problem for ANZ .
The problem with the NRL is that schedule so many low attendance games at ANZ.

removes the large capacity which is the only attraction it has an AFL stadium,

If you care to read my posts again you will see where I said that IMO capacity is the only virtue of ANZ.
If you are saying that Perth Stadium wouldn't be a good option because of lower capacity then that would be valid.
though Perth Stadium has a 70k design.
It is also to be remembered that Perth Stadium is designed as a multi-purpose stadium like Docklands and ANZ.

Yes, that's about each code's contribution of big games. If the government hadn't upgraded Spotless then the Giants would be at ANZ.

Not necessarily.

Not necessarily. Short-sighted thinking.

No its not. 35k for Spotless would be perfect.

A totally ridiculous statement. ANZ actually works better as an oval currently.

Not even close.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, that's about each code's contribution of big games. If the government hadn't upgraded Spotless then the Giants would be at ANZ.

History shows that's a very incorrect statement.

Not necessarily. Short-sighted thinking.

A totally ridiculous statement.

A totally ridiculous statement. ANZ actually works better as an oval currently.

how many games have you seen at ANZ in person?

Not necessarily.

If the government hadn't upgraded Spotless then the Giants would be at ANZ. Where would the Giants have played out of then GG ?

No its not. 35k for Spotless would be perfect.

There is still the problem of where Giants play in Sydney for blockbusters.

Not even close.

You're the most logic-bypassed person on this subject that i know.
ANZ actually works better as an oval currently, otherwise why is there a need to upgrade the rectangular side of things ?
W.r.t a big crowd at ANZ more people get reasonable viewing at an AFL game than an NRL game.
If you're talking about the really small crowds that NRL gets at ANZ then yes,
but those really small crowds that NRL crowds plays at ANZ would be better played elsewhere.

If the government hadn't upgraded Spotless then the Giants would be at ANZ. Where would the Giants have played out of then GG ?

No idea. But there was talk of SCG or Blacktown.
There is still the problem of where Giants play in Sydney for blockbusters.

No there isnt. Spotless expanded would be our only ground (besides Canberra) needed.

You're the most logic-bypassed person on this subject that i know.
ANZ actually works better as an oval currently, otherwise why is there a need to upgrade the rectangular side of things ?
W.r.t a big crowd at ANZ more people get reasonable viewing at an AFL game than an NRL game.
If you're talking about the really small crowds that NRL gets at ANZ then yes,
but those really small crowds that NRL crowds plays at ANZ would be better played elsewhere.

It really doesnt.

There are many better viewing sections when in rectangle config than oval.
You also dont end up with the bolts etc in rectangle mode.

Its not just NRL that play there though. All 3 rectangle codes do and get big crowds to their blue chip events.

Last edited:
I don't like ANZ as a stadium. It only has capacity going for it.

ANZ's capacity for AFL is only useful for blockbuster games. ANZ is preferable to SCG for any GWS blockbusters.
ANZ is an alternative for cricket - for scheduling and competition to SCG.
ANZ for rectangular sports is still shyte. Closing the ends is basically irrelevant as you are not adding much at all.
From an economic p.o.v. having ANZ and Spotless was a waste of money.
From an economic p.o.v. upgrading both ANZ and Spotless is a waste of money.
From an economic p.o.v. spending too much money on ANZ is a waste of money because of it'd basic flawed design.

Personally I hope this ill-conceived plan goes ahead.

Your credentials as a sports fan are transparent.
I fondly remember Brooky in the 70s, as I do Subi in the same era ... but the fans of today want more than a great game.

No idea. But there was talk of SCG or Blacktown.

Well there was talk of ANZ as ANZ was an obvious candigate.
It's ridiculous for a Giants fan to suggest that the SCG was ever seriously considered.
The whole idea was to garner support from people out west who wouldn't travel to the SCG.

Spotless expanded would be our only ground (besides Canberra) needed.

A true Giants fan would be decimated to put a 35k ceiling on blockbusters.

There are many better viewing sections when in rectangle config than oval.

Two is many ? The two movable sections are moved forward in rectangular mode.
There is no reason that they couldn't be permanently moved forward with a much smaller movable section as in Perth.
Regardless, a "fix" wont increase the number of good viewing seats

Its not just NRL that play there though.
All 3 rectangle codes do and get big crowds to their blue chip events.

Currently ANZ gets some big crowds to the stadium when it is an OVAL.
Are the changes mooted for ANZ going to increase the number of good viewing seats ?
Tell me why it is imperative for this fix to ANZ to include altering the ends ?

Well there was talk of ANZ as ANZ was an obvious candigate.
It's ridiculous for a Giants fan to suggest that the SCG was ever seriously considered.
The whole idea was to garner support from people out west who wouldn't travel to the SCG.

No it isnt as it was looked at as the only Oval in Sydney at the time. This was before naming etc though.

A true Giants fan would be decimated to put a 35k ceiling on blockbusters.

Bullshit. I dont want our club stuck to a 80k stadium just because we may get 1 or 2 games with it.

35k is the perfect size for our club going forward.

Two is many ? The two movable sections are moved forward in rectangular mode.
There is no reason that they couldn't be permanently moved forward with a much smaller movable section as in Perth.
Regardless, a "fix" wont increase the number of good viewing seats

The fix is the rebuild/structure so yes it would.

Currently ANZ gets some big crowds to the stadium when it is an OVAL.
Are the changes mooted for ANZ going to increase the number of good viewing seats ?
Tell me why it is imperative for this fix to ANZ to include altering the ends ?

Currently? Ummm no.

Cricket and AFL havent played there for some time.

Tell you? Many have already stated the reasons why ANZ needs a restructure. You seem to be handling as well as the replys to your "rectangles dont get big crowds" & "NRL plays regularly at ovals" comments.

I dont think it is imperative. I would want Parra SCG Spotless all finished before ANZ & SFS fix.

You seem so adamant on our stadium policy yet dont seem to know anything about it.

Exactly. That's why they built Perth Stadium.
Perth Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium and all codes are clambering to play there.
In its opening year? Sure. Itll go back to be an Aussie rules ground though after the gloss wears off.

For instance if the WA League side gets up they wont play there.

In its opening year? Sure. Itll go back to be an Aussie rules ground though after the gloss wears off.

Are you for real ? Perth Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium by DESIGN not use.
It's use will we be determined by attendance something that seems to have escaped the ANZ administrators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you for real ? Perth Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium by DESIGN not use.
It's use will we be determined by attendance something that seems to have escaped the ANZ administrators.
Wow. The Perth stadium team used their premium coolaide on you.

But it really has nothing to do with Sydneys stadium strategy.

No it isnt as it was looked at as the only Oval in Sydney at the time. This was before naming etc though.

You're being plainly ridiculous to suggest that GWS was set up for any other reason to set aup an AFL team in West Sydney.

I dont want our club stuck to a 80k stadium just because we may get 1 or 2 games with it.

You're being absolutely ridiculous saying GWS is being "stuck" with ANZ for "1 or 2 games"/
It's absolutely ridiculous to sugest a GWS would be happy missing out on a potential extra 45k attendance.

The fix is the rebuild/structure so yes it would.

Tell us then where these extra good viewing seats would appear from ?

Cricket and AFL havent played there for some time.

Am I talking to a child ? ANZ is an OVAL. Even when it is in rectangular mode it is an OVAL in rectangular mode.
There have been numerous large attendances at ANZ in rectangular mode but ANZ is still an OVAL.
Thus ANZ has had numerous large attendances in rectangular mode but the stadium is still physically an OVAL.
Do you understand now ?
Now, if ANZ has had numerous large attendances in rectangular mode but the stadium is still physically an OVAL
why is there a crushing need to change it from an oval ?
I'll put it even simpler. What is the need to change to the ends of the oval ?
Nobody wants to sit in the end zones.

I dont think it is imperative. I would want Parra SCG Spotless all finished before ANZ & SFS fix.

No argument from me.

You seem so adamant on our stadium policy yet dont seem to know anything about it.

"our stadium policy" ? Do you mean the NSW government's lack of clear policy ?
I know about it. I am saying is it worth trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ?
Do you comprehend that ?

But it really has nothing to do with Sydneys stadium strategy.

I know you're trying to win win some points but all you are getting is more ridiculous. Of course Perth Stadium really has nothing to do with Sydney's stadium strategy. That's what I'm saying. Maybe you should look around open your mind a little. I know it's hard. You don't even seem to get the fact that ANZ stadium has been getting large crowds as a physical oval even though configured for rectangular codes.

You're being plainly ridiculous to suggest that GWS was set up for any other reason to set aup an AFL team in West Sydney..

Its true thats what the intention was. But it wasnt always Western Sydney.
At 1st it was just a 2nd Sydney.

You're being absolutely ridiculous saying GWS is being "stuck" with ANZ for "1 or 2 games"/
It's absolutely ridiculous to sugest a GWS would be happy missing out on a potential extra 45k attendance..

Matthews has been quite adamant he wants our games at Spotless no matter what and ge wants the ground finished to 35k.

We may prefer it to the SCG but thats not saying much.

Tell us then where these extra good viewing seats would appear from ?
So havent seen the ANZ plans then? So why are you in here?

Am I talking to a child ? ANZ is an OVAL. Even when it is in rectangular mode it is an OVAL in rectangular mode.
There have been numerous large attendances at ANZ in rectangular mode but ANZ is still an OVAL.
Thus ANZ has had numerous large attendances in rectangular mode but the stadium is still physically an OVAL.
Do you understand now ?
Now, if ANZ has had numerous large attendances in rectangular mode but the stadium is still physically an OVAL
why is there a crushing need to change it from an oval ?
I'll put it even simpler. What is the need to change to the ends of the oval ?
Nobody wants to sit in the end zones.

Accusing me of being a child (thanks by the way. Little one always calls me very old. Hurts ego), and then goes on that little speel that is nuttier than a bag of Nobbys.

I know you're trying to win win some points but all you are getting is more ridiculous. Of course Perth Stadium really has nothing to do with Sydney's stadium strategy. That's what I'm saying. Maybe you should look around open your mind a little. I know it's hard. You don't even seem to get the fact that ANZ stadium has been getting large crowds as a physical oval even though configured for rectangular codes.
After this nonsensical garbage im just going to ignore your posts.

So havent seen the ANZ plans then? So why are you in here?

Its obvious he hasn't seen the plans.All we hear is the usual tripe of ovals are better for rectangular sports,the NRL prefer to play on oval fields and Perth Stadium is the World's greatest stadium!
Comments such as "putting some seats in the endzone" demonstates clearly the lack of understanding into the whole Sydney Stadium debate.Sightlines,Viewing angles,rake levels are all part of the discussion into why these types of stadiums are required and why oval venues such as the MCG,Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium are completely inappropriate for Rugby League,Rugby Union and Soccer.
As for ANZ Stadium,the plans that have been put forward is to completely rebuild the interior and reconfigure the stands into a steep and rectangular configuration to allow the stands as close to the sidelines as possible with the highest possible rake.

ANZBefore_After.jpg
anz_stadium_rectangular17.jpg

The fact is that despite the AFL expressing interest to keeping ANZ Stadium multipurpose,the AFL clubs in Sydney have clearly stated that they are not interested in playing at ANZ.
In 2003,the venue was compromised into a multi purpose due to the lobbying of the AFL.
Since that time,the AFL have only exceeded 65,000 attendance just twice (back in 2003),while Rugby Union,Rugby League and Soccer have done that over 100 times since the reconfiguration.
Its only makes sense that the codes that utilise ANZ and actually fill it have the largest input into the design and shape of the new venue.

The fact is that despite the AFL expressing interest to keeping ANZ Stadium multipurpose,the AFL clubs in Sydney have clearly stated that they are not interested in playing at ANZ.
In 2003,the venue was compromised into a multi purpose due to the lobbying of the AFL.
Since that time,the AFL have only exceeded 65,000 attendance just twice (back in 2003),while Rugby Union,Rugby League and Soccer have done that over 100 times since the reconfiguration.
Its only makes sense that the codes that utilise ANZ and actually fill it have the largest input into the design and shape of the new venue.
Im still of the view that the only reason the AFL are playing the oval card on ANZ is to get the SCG and Spotless done 1st(Or next after Parra).

The AFL have not been "expressing interest to keeping ANZ Stadium multipurpose"...this is the quote from the hatchet job in the Daily Tele

“We believe the opportunity cost of prioritising such redevelopments (of ANZ and Allianz Stadium) at the expense of oval venues and fans of oval-based sports should be contemplated in any business case that determines the Government’s priorities with respect to stadium investment,” said McLachlan of his specific request for maintaining the “ability for ANZ Stadium to host oval sports where large crowds are expected”.

There is no basis for asserting that the AFL have been "expressing an interest in keeping ANZ Stadium multipurpose". They have rightfully suggested that the the "opportunity cost" of spending $2B on three rectangular stadiums at the complete expense of oval based sports should be "contemplated in any business case"

At 1st it was just a 2nd Sydney.

Was it ? produce some link to that lovely piece of fiction then.

Matthews has been quite adamant he wants our games at Spotless no matter what and ge wants the ground finished to 35k.

Exactly and the only thing he would like less is to be forced to play at the SCG because there is no alternative.

So havent seen the ANZ plans then?

I'm asking you, what in your opinion are the seats that will have better viewing after the upgrade.
I'll repeat it so you don't get distracted, what in your opinion are the seats that will have better viewing after the upgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Developments of Sydney Stadiums

Remove this Banner Ad

Back