Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bob Murphy thing should have absolutely nothing to do with his politics. Although I get why people get upset about a footballer expressing them, and as passionately as Bob does because you are only ever going to get half of the people. I proudly bought the Bob 300th guernsey, with the number 2 and wear it more than the others (it’s great because it had a collar). But what can Bob bring to this group? He is not the right person to come here now. He is very close with Luke Darcy, don’t know about Chris Grant but close to with Bevo, and the last thing this coaching group needs is another member to the love triangle. That is why Leon Cameron couldn’t come in either. And it doesn’t seem to be working very good over in Freo. He is their number one culprit on their BigFooty board.

The Bob Murphy thing should have absolutely nothing to do with his politics. Although I get why people get upset about a footballer expressing them, and as passionately as Bob does because you are only ever going to get half of the people. I proudly bought the Bob 300th guernsey, with the number 2 and wear it more than the others (it’s great because it had a collar). But what can Bob bring to this group? He is not the right person to come here now. He is very close with Luke Darcy, don’t know about Chris Grant but close to with Bevo, and the last thing this coaching group needs is another member to the love triangle. That is why Leon Cameron couldn’t come in either. And it doesn’t seem to be working very good over in Freo. He is their number one culprit on their BigFooty board.
I'm pretty keen for 'outside' ideas at the club as well.

Nigel Lappin is absolutely my no 1 pick for an outside voice - a 'unifier' in the way McCrae is at the Pies. I think that is probably what the club needs right now more than anything.

Nigel Lappin is absolutely my no 1 pick for an outside voice - a 'unifier' in the way McCrae is at the Pies. I think that is probably what the club needs right now more than anything.
Here here. No more ex-dogs - it becomes too much of a boys club which is hugely unhelpful if things aren’t going well.

I am not ‘connected’ in any way to the AFL scene. But my daughter played footy with Nigel’s daughter about 5 years ago for a few years. He is a great fella. There were quite a few ‘legends’ at this club and my sons team had quite a few and he was easily the most engaging. Other stories all similar and positive about him.
I had a good junior and suburban footy life, but when we had a daughters v parents match and I was fullback and Nigel kept calling my name to kick to him in this match, it was my best football highlight. I would go home and try to tell my kids how good this ‘dad’ was, they didn’t get it. I think he was Leigh Mathews favourite player ever.

Everybody posting in this thread about politics needs to shut the **** up, as it has nothing to do with this thread.

I know it’s the off season, but so many of you need to pull your heads in.

Everybody posting in this thread about politics needs to shut the * up, as it has nothing to do with this thread.

I know it’s the off season, but so many of you need to pull your heads in.

I already apologised and stopped We got a new defence coach yet?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The club needs to change its constitution to guarantee that assistant coaches have the right to make representations about tactics and team selections to the senior coach.

He is of course free to ignore any advice he may receive...

I am not ‘connected’ in any way to the AFL scene. But my daughter played footy with Nigel’s daughter about 5 years ago for a few years. He is a great fella. There were quite a few ‘legends’ at this club and my sons team had quite a few and he was easily the most engaging. Other stories all similar and positive about him.
I had a good junior and suburban footy life, but when we had a daughters v parents match and I was fullback and Nigel kept calling my name to kick to him in this match, it was my best football highlight. I would go home and try to tell my kids how good this ‘dad’ was, they didn’t get it. I think he was Leigh Mathews favourite player ever.

Didn't he play a GF with three broken ribs or something? I mean that alone is enough to get him in the door to try and inject some sort of backbone into our group.

Anyway, our most important signing this off season is a strategy and tactics coach. Really don't want another season where I know we'll lose close games before we actually lose them.

Last edited:
No more politics for the love of everything holy I already see it ruining literally every other section of online discourse.

So from the sounds of it (piecing together various bits of information), we're looking at:

Brendan Lade
Daniel Pratt
David Hale
Jackson Kornberg
Stewart Edge
Luke Bevridge
And maybe Matthew Egan running the lot

Doesn't sound too bad?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

massive write up of tributes on Jackson Kornberg from Sandy Dragons past players and staff. Gives you a fair idea of the type of human and coach he is, seems like a good get.

Didnt get through the whole thing as it is massive and got the gist of it after 1000 words. testimonies at the bottom

Trent Cotchin seems like a real footy person. If he hasn’t been signed by anyone yet, I guess he is on our list? He has no off field coaching experience but plenty of on field. He was an awesome leader. With a father-in-law in Rick Kennedy I hope and imagine that he has been gently persuaded to the Whitten oval.
That’s leaves an experienced line coach and director of coaching left? Potentially a welfare/development coach for the young lads from out of town and different cultural perspectives?

No more politics for the love of everything holy I already see it ruining literally every other section of online discourse.

So from the sounds of it (piecing together various bits of information), we're looking at:

Brendan Lade
Daniel Pratt
David Hale
Jackson Kornberg
Stewart Edge
Luke Bevridge

Doesn't sound too bad?

Who would be the main tactician out of that lot?

Brendan Lade
Daniel Pratt
David Hale
Jackson Kornberg
Stewart Edge
Luke Bevridge

Doesn't sound too bad?
Clay Smith was mentioned a while back too does anyone know if that has gone anywhere?

massive write up of tributes on Jackson Kornberg from Sandy Dragons past players and staff. Gives you a fair idea of the type of human and coach he is, seems like a good get.

Didnt get through the whole thing as it is massive and got the gist of it after 1000 words. testimonies at the bottom
So Luke Cleary is a big part of that article and was previously Kornberg’s neighbour? That’s two pre-existing connections with him and Bailey Smith.

So Luke Cleary is a big part of that article and was previously Kornberg’s neighbour? That’s two pre-existing connections with him and Bailey Smith.

Wonder where Cleary sits with Coffield coming in.

Feel similar to me but I haven’t seen a ton of coffield lately

Wonder where Cleary sits with Coffield coming in.

Feel similar to me but I haven’t seen a ton of coffield lately
I’d say they’re definitely competing for the exact same spot.

Cleary has some ability but I’d say the club probably has concerns around his competitiveness and defensive ability to play on stronger types.

I’d say they’re definitely competing for the exact same spot.

Cleary has some ability but I’d say the club probably has concerns around his competitiveness and defensive ability to play on stronger types.
How about they play him and find out? He’s looked good in the Ballarat games he gets each year.

How about they play him and find out? He’s looked good in the Ballarat games he gets each year.
He was gassed pretty early though
The kid needs another pre-season or two.

I really like his ability to buy time with ball in hand. It's a good trait to have

The club needs to change its constitution to guarantee that assistant coaches have the right to make representations about tactics and team selections to the senior coach.

He is of course free to ignore any advice he may receive...
Says the Canberran. 😉

What’s the best way to address this? Employ another sports psychologist?
No, get players who are tough and love to compete to replace those who do not. For example, in the ruck go and find a modern day Scott Wynd. Captain of the club for a reason. Does English come across as a Captain? No.

Piss off those who are only in it for himself (I won’t name him - good abs).

Don’t waste spots on spuds like O’Brien and find players like Liam Jones who cost the same cash.

Get Bevo to stop lighting incense sticks before games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back