Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s not forget the discussion was mainly divided into two sections:

Pro Bevo - List isn’t a Top 4 list

Anti Bevo - Bevo is not getting the most out of the players anymore.

Looks like both sides were proven wrong, which is genuinely the best outcome for everyone.
Tom Boyd actually called it in the Danny Boyd podcast as the season started. He said that wholesale turn over of coaches, while it may be necessary, will take time to gel with each other and inculcating a new game plan will also take time.

Looks like both sides were proven wrong, which is genuinely the best outcome for everyone.
and alot of the criticism of Bevo's coaching since 2021 has proven to be correct, it took a major review, an assistant coach reshuffle, game plan change, and mid season tweaks, and some luck (injuries, weak season in general) to be 'there abouts' with 3 rounds to go.

and as good as our recent form is, the job is far from done

that being said, kudos to Bevo for hanging in and backing himself, his amazing self-belief and unconditional regard for the players is paying off.

and alot of the criticism of Bevo's coaching since 2021 has proven to be correct, it took a major review, an assistant coach reshuffle, game plan change, and mid season tweaks, and some luck (injuries, weak season in general) to be 'there abouts' with 3 rounds to go.

and as good as our recent form is, the job is far from done

that being said, kudos to Bevo for hanging in and backing himself, his amazing self-belief and unconditional regard for the players is paying off.
But was it really being proven as correct?

We should always be striving to improve, but we were never that dreadful across each season. We went 24 wins, 21 losses across the two H&A seasons yet people were acting line we had gone 15 wins or something across the period. It was certainly a drop off from just having been a top team. If Bevo was truly woeful as a coach then wouldn't we have dropped off far more than this?

But was it really being proven as correct?

We should always be striving to improve, but we were never that dreadful across each season. We went 24 wins, 21 losses across the two H&A seasons yet people were acting line we had gone 15 wins or something across the period. It was certainly a drop off from just having been a top team. If Bevo was truly woeful as a coach then wouldn't we have dropped off far more than this?

Losing to West Coast and Hawthorn last year was a major failure.

We have a similar situation this year with the upcoming games against Adelaide and North.

Hope history doesn’t repeat

Losing to West Coast and Hawthorn last year was a major failure.

We have a similar situation this year with the upcoming games against Adelaide and North.

Hope history doesn’t repeat
Yes, but teams that are middling (like we were in 2022-23) sometimes lose games to very bad teams, because everyone is generally trying to win always.

I'm very hesitant to say that we've improved that much - though we have improved - or that it is that surprising, because I think people were way over the top as to just how bad we were at any given point in time. I don't think we were ever worse than the 10th-11th best team in the league at our absolute worse (and that's just a given point in time, obviously, on average over the two year we were better than 10th/11th).

The carry-on here was a bit over the top in that regard. People were acting like we truly stank, not just we were a good team that had returned to the pack a bit while we were working on improvements to go back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we shut up now.. bevo has got the club absolutely motoring at the right time of the season again..

I’ve been re-born, but it was more the criticism of what Bevo wasn’t doing. Once he moved the magnets as a lot of people wanted, things changed. Richards to midfield was kind of expected, Lobb to defence out of the blue and is working very well so far.

Thankfully we’ve been that on top of other teams recently, all that’s left to see is Bevo sending someone to player that is carving us up. That would hopefully mean someone like Rozee isn’t getting close to 20 touches a quarter.

I’ve been re-born, but it was more the criticism of what Bevo wasn’t doing. Once he moved the magnets as a lot of people wanted, things changed. Richards to midfield was kind of expected, Lobb to defence out of the blue and is working very well so far.

Thankfully we’ve been that on top of other teams recently, all that’s left to see is Bevo sending someone to player that is carving us up. That would hopefully mean someone like Rozee isn’t getting close to 20 touches a quarter.
To be honest, Richards to the midfield was the only one he really changed. And even then only a minority here agreed with the idea of it. Lobb was surprising as a few here said he was ordinary as a defender previously.

If anything, he stuck to his gun more than made changes. He copped criticism for developing youngsters over fan favorites. He persisted with unpopular role players, who are a big reason for helping us open the game up. He and the club recognized the need for speed in the offseason, and worked on that. He kept getting mocked by impatient people for saying trust the process and they are building towards something.

People hammered him left, right and center. All the above moves proved correct in the end, where the majority here didn't agree with them initially aside from the need for speed aspect. Team needed time to build chemistry. He was the only one who had faith in the team. Where most here didn't. His stubbornness may rub a few people the wrong way, and may have been wrong in the past. But this year on current form, he has backed it up.

I'd say there was a third which was about the players' effort level and intensity. The talent was more or less always there with the top 12-15 players ON PAPER. But execution of that talent on the field was very inconsistent over the last few years. Even at time this year to be honest.

I don't think the talent or coaching has changed dramatically but the last 2 months or so, we're seeing consistent intensity and effort from the whole squad. This is the biggest difference IMO. Now people might want to put this on the coach, I think self-motivation sits more with the players than coaching but that's one of those how long is a piece of string type arguments.

I still think the Hawks game and it's aftermath was the catalyst. My problem with the list was that not enough of them were serious enough. Talent aside, the big games are won in the top 2 inches. If you ain't serious there, you ain't a contender (don't like the top 4 list description as its rolled out because it doesn't take into account attitude, only raw talent).

Anywho, after the Hawks loss, they collectively had a good hard look at themselves and resolved that Bont, Libba and Treloar shouldn't be the only ones who worked their arses off week in week out, year in year out, and it was a little unfair to expect them to carry all of them.

They all agreed, resolved and bought in and lo a season was born that could finish anywhere.

The student was ready and the then teacher reappeared.

Of the 2 significant losses we've had since then, perhaps there was a little bit of mitigation in the Brisbane game given we were nearing exhaustion and Brisbane were well rested off the bye. The result may not have changed but the margin could have been tighter and the manner less emphatic.

The Port game, whilst an abomination to witness, was a very good reminder to the team that your head has to be in the game every time or you're a very chance of getting spanked by a good opponent. After the Hawks loss, this might end up being the best loss we had all year.

TL/DR. I would characterize the change in our team post the Hawks game as one where the players collectively take responsibility for the team performance and that has made all the difference.

Last edited:
Still think there’s a gap with the forwards coaching, JUH needs someone with proven experience and capability to fix his set shots.

Eddie Betts?

I still think the Hawks game and it's aftermath was the catalyst. My problem with the list was that not enough of them were serious enough. Talent aside, the big games are won in the top 2 inches. If you ain't serious there, you ain't a contender (don't like the top 4 list description as its rolled out because it doesn't take into account attitude, only raw talent).

Anywho, after the Hawks loss, they collectively had a good hard look at themselves and resolved that Bont, Libba and Treloar shouldn't be the only ones who worked their arses off week in week out, year in year out, and it was a little unfair to expect them to carry all of them.

They all agreed, resolved and bought in and lo a season was born that could finish anywhere.

The student was ready and the then teacher reappeared.

Of the 2 significant losses we've had since then, perhaps there was a little bit of mitigation in the Brisbane game given we were nearing exhaustion and Brisbane were well rested off the bye. The result may not have changed but the margin could have been tighter and the manner less emphatic.

The Port game, whilst an abomination to witness, was a very good reminder to the team that your head has to be in the game every time or you're a very chance of getting spanked by a good opponent. After the Hawks loss, this might end up being the best loss we had all year.

TL/DR. I would characterize the change in our team post the Hawks game as one where the players collectively take responsibility for the team performance and that has made all the difference.
:100: :100: :100:

I'd say there was a third which was about the players' effort level and intensity. The talent was more or less always there with the top 12-15 players ON PAPER. But execution of that talent on the field was very inconsistent over the last few years. Even at time this year to be honest.

I don't think the talent or coaching has changed dramatically but the last 2 months or so, we're seeing consistent intensity and effort from the whole squad. This is the biggest difference IMO. Now people might want to put this on the coach, I think self-motivation sits more with the players than coaching but that's one of those how long is a piece of string type arguments.

One part of adapting a new game plan is to be able to rely that other players will be always doing the right thing. If players arent sure of each other, they are forced to make decisions and improvise, which sorts the good players from the average ones. but in a well drilled team, everyone being where they should be helps elevate the average decision makers because their teammates make it easier for them.

thats why when the team is chaotic and unsure of itself, we are writing off players as spuds and turnover merchants but in a well drilled and predicatable team, suddenly they are 'good role players' who are able to move or defend the ball pretty well

Anyone have a “rule” regarding turnover of coaches? With the playing list some people believe in turning over a number each year. I remember Sheedy being quoted decades ago that turnover of a quarter of the list each year was ok. With coaches should we aim to bring in at least one new person to introduce new ideas or does the time taken to bed down styles of play etc. mean it’s ok to keep the same group of coaches if you are there at the pointy end of the season. Really just wondering about a general philosophy not a hard and fast rule.

I remember more than a few on here going the early crow in 2023 using Essendon’s switch to Scott and St Kilda’s switch to Lyon showed what a new coach could do for a group.

How’s that going.

The coach question is a difficult one from the outside. The club obviously had faith in Bevo, and they obviously have more information than we do.

2022 was no real surprise to me after the 2021 finals series. It was the second half of 2023 that was a worry for me.

I do think people expect a coach can click their fingers and get the team doing something totally different, while it’s actually like trying to steer a cruise ship. Glad Bevo stuck to his guns and I hope we deliver in the next few weeks.

Ask the question of Tom Hawkins for some forward craft ideas. If hes interested in staying within club land.

I remember more than a few on here going the early crow in 2023 using Essendon’s switch to Scott and St Kilda’s switch to Lyon showed what a new coach could do for a group.

How’s that going.

The coach question is a difficult one from the outside. The club obviously had faith in Bevo, and they obviously have more information than we do.

2022 was no real surprise to me after the 2021 finals series. It was the second half of 2023 that was a worry for me.

I do think people expect a coach can click their fingers and get the team doing something totally different, while it’s actually like trying to steer a cruise ship. Glad Bevo stuck to his guns and I hope we deliver in the next few weeks.
At a bare minimum, the changes we have been bedding down this season after a 2nd successive review by the club should have been made 12 months earlier after the first review.

Where would we be ATM if they had? I’d certainly have more tooth enamel for one

Loving the way we are playing right now , but it’s not to bev’s credit that the club had to go to such extremes to get him to pull his head in, embrace change, and accept help and other points of view.

I prefer the version of bev we have now to the 2017-2023 version - seems more like the pre-flag model

Last edited:

How’s that going.

Just shows how hard it is to piece together why a team is under performing from the outside. Bev looked washed at times in 2023 e.g. his interview before the Eagles game and the ensuing debacle. The internal view that Bev was still up to it but needed a change of structure and more support around him has been proven correct. Barring another late season collapseroonie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back