Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

#4 probably best sum it up.
Interesting.

I guess that spells the end because you could maybe/hopefully lose one, but losing the tall fwd combination couldn't stand.

I wonder, though, whether Bevo is going to force them to sack him. My theory is that he would be pretty angry that Bubba was basically used as a pawn in a game to get rid of him. Being who he is and the loyalty he has to players and assistants, I'd hazard a guess that he'll want to take the architect down with him and making them pay, literally, might also be a way of making them (that person(s)) pay through the fallout that would follow.

If the stuff being discussed tonight about a terminal standoff between Bevo and the club is true (I'm assuming it is until confirmed otherwise) it seems we're stuffed whichever way it gets settled.

It means Bevo has lost the confidence of the board. There is hardly ever any coming back once it passes that point.

So it gets settled in one of three ways:
  1. Bevo accepts the generous offer of a 50% payout of two years salary and walks away. We piss something like $850k (?) down the drain. Plus whatever that means in soft cap overrun penalties when we hire his replacement as well as the much needed quality assistant coaches.
  2. Bevo refuses to accept anything less than a near full payout. We piss something like $1.5m down the drain, plus those extra soft cap costs etc.
  3. The board buckles and says to Bevo we can't afford that, we're keeping you on. This option splinters into a few variations on how his role might be re-cast, how many assistants can be brought in to help minimise the damage and so on. In other words there are a whole lot more imponderables that have to be negotiated with no guarantee that the club will get any satisfaction out of Bevo. That's assuming we can find any quality people to come and work within such a toxic relationship.
Clearly none of these is in any way palatable.

If Bevo leaves under scenarios 1 or 2 we take a big financial hit which is a huge black mark against the competence of the FFC board and whichever senior executives proposed or supported the 2 year extension. Managing an AFL club is a tough gig but there needs to be a reckoning. They will need to explain themselves to members and sponsors. Some management blood will need to be spilled. However we do get the chance for a complete footy re-set. Hopefully we retain and re-sign most of our top 20 players. We get a new set of coaches who can chart a different course for hopefully more watchable football and a team whose week-to-week performances we can be proud of, even if we don't make the finals. We also give the fans hope for 2024 so we don't suffer too much of a membership hit.

If Bevo stays under scenario 3 the impact would be far worse in my opinion. The embattled, grumpy, stressed-out Bevo carries on into 2024 and maybe 2025. We may lose a number of players over the next two off-seasons when they seek a trade, including some of our top 10 and our younger stars about to enter their prime. (It's hard to know at this stage how serious this aspect could become, but if it alarmed Bont enough to go straight to the President then I think this scenario might be reasonably close to the mark). It will be hard to attract any worthwhile trades to replace them. Unless Bevo accepted a radical change in the way coaching duties are shared out and became much more collegiate in his style it's hard to see any significant change in our football fortunes from the last couple of years. However our list will be missing some of its star players so a decline seems highly likely. Given Bevo's obduracy and hands-on style it's hard to see such a reinvention of the coaching function being effective or successful. One can only hope. Furthermore, trust will have been broken. The relationship between Bevo and club (and probably between Bevo and players) would never be the same.

To me there is no choice. If the assumptions I'm working on are correct (i.e. as raised on these pages) then Bevo must go.

Although he wasn't expecting a 2 year extension when it happened, Bevo is within his rights to insist on a full payout. Especially if it's money rather than his legacy that he's primarily concerned about. However if he wants to be remembered as a Bullgod - a title he has surely earned - he should take the 50% package and walk with good grace.

It would be a dark irony if the man who seven years ago elevated the club, the supporters and the community to a pinnacle beyond our expectations ended up being the one who condemned us to 5 years or more in the AFL dungeon. That could be how long it would take us to begin reviving our fortunes.

If the stuff being discussed tonight about a terminal standoff between Bevo and the club is true (I'm assuming it is until confirmed otherwise) it seems we're stuffed whichever way it gets settled.

It means Bevo has lost the confidence of the board. There is hardly ever any coming back once it passes that point.

So it gets settled in one of three ways:
  1. Bevo accepts the generous offer of a 50% payout of two years salary and walks away. We piss something like $850k (?) down the drain. Plus whatever that means in soft cap overrun penalties when we hire his replacement as well as the much needed quality assistant coaches.
  2. Bevo refuses to accept anything less than a near full payout. We piss something like $1.5m down the drain, plus those extra soft cap costs etc.
  3. The board buckles and says to Bevo we can't afford that, we're keeping you on. This option splinters into a few variations on how his role might be re-cast, how many assistants can be brought in to help minimise the damage and so on. In other words there are a whole lot more imponderables that have to be negotiated with no guarantee that the club will get any satisfaction out of Bevo. That's assuming we can find any quality people to come and work within such a toxic relationship.
Clearly none of these is in any way palatable.

If Bevo leaves under scenarios 1 or 2 we take a big financial hit which is a huge black mark against the competence of the FFC board and whichever senior executives proposed or supported the 2 year extension. Managing an AFL club is a tough gig but there needs to be a reckoning. They will need to explain themselves to members and sponsors. Some management blood will need to be spilled. However we do get the chance for a complete footy re-set. Hopefully we retain and re-sign most of our top 20 players. We get a new set of coaches who can chart a different course for hopefully more watchable football and a team whose week-to-week performances we can be proud of, even if we don't make the finals. We also give the fans hope for 2024 so we don't suffer too much of a membership hit.

If Bevo stays under scenario 3 the impact would be far worse in my opinion. The embattled, grumpy, stressed-out Bevo carries on into 2024 and maybe 2025. We may lose a number of players over the next two off-seasons when they seek a trade, including some of our top 10 and our younger stars about to enter their prime. (It's hard to know at this stage how serious this aspect could become, but if it alarmed Bont enough to go straight to the President then I think this scenario might be reasonably close to the mark). It will be hard to attract any worthwhile trades to replace them. Unless Bevo accepted a radical change in the way coaching duties are shared out and became much more collegiate in his style it's hard to see any significant change in our football fortunes from the last couple of years. However our list will be missing some of its star players so a decline seems highly likely. Given Bevo's obduracy and hands-on style it's hard to see such a reinvention of the coaching function being effective or successful. One can only hope. Furthermore, trust will have been broken. The relationship between Bevo and club (and probably between Bevo and players) would never be the same.

To me there is no choice. If the assumptions I'm working on are correct (i.e. as raised on these pages) then Bevo must go.

Although he wasn't expecting a 2 year extension when it happened, Bevo is within his rights to insist on a full payout. Especially if it's money rather than his legacy that he's primarily concerned about. However if he wants to be remembered as a Bullgod - a title he has surely earned - he should take the 50% package and walk with good grace.

It would be a dark irony if the man who seven years ago elevated the club, the supporters and the community to a pinnacle beyond our expectations ended up being the one who condemned us to 5 years or more in the AFL dungeon. That could be how long it would take us to begin reviving our fortunes.
Agree. None of it is good but Bevo goes. He might just be set on taking a few with him so will force them to sack him.

Apart from the Bubba angle, he might actually see it (or rationalise it) as doing the club a service. Why entrust those who created this mess with choosing my replacement and any other assistants? It will inevitably happen (the selection of a new coach and/or assistants) but it would be better for my boys and the club in the long run if these people weren't here making those decisions either.

Surely any severance package is voided when Beveridge takes another coaching job? If the club and Bev ended up meeting in the middle at say 75% pay out ($1.2ish million) over 2 years and Bevo ends up getting another job for 2025, the club could maybe get out of it with a $600k payout, affecting next year only + any soft cap tax.

It's obviously not ending well here and his time here is well and truly up but I could see another team taking Bev for '25.
One thing people haven't mentioned is that the AFL has allowed clubs to spread the cost of a payout over number of years to reduce the strain on the soft cap.

Clarko had one year left at $1m at the Hawks when they essentially sacked him. The AFL allowed them to spread that over 2 years at 500k each year.

One thing people haven't mentioned is that the AFL has allowed clubs to spread the cost of a payout over number of years to reduce the strain on the soft cap.

Clarko had one year left at $1m at the Hawks when they essentially sacked him. The AFL allowed them to spread that over 2 years at 500k each year.
True good point, does it have to be agreed to by the person receiving the payout though to take it over however many years? Or can we pay him out over his remaining 2 years but technically spread it over the soft cap for 3-4 etc?

Some people may not renew their membership because of Bevo, but in reality, most won't renew:

• Because the game plan is boring,
  • We get destroyed in transition,
  • We don't encourage growth in our younger players,
  • We will likely lose a few of our young stars because of the above,
  • The players aren't playing with passion.

Noone wants to watch that s**t.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
F***ing nailed it.

Plus... The same old s*** each press conference, like "we still believe we can beat anyone".

No we can't. We are f***ing miles off.

Even though I didn't and wouldn't bother watching the presser. What did anybody expect?

Beveridge has never been the most engaging public speaker. That is especially so when he's doing these mandated pressers in front of people who sound as bored by the process as he does.

Think about it. When was the last time a coach. Any coach actually said or a reporter asked anything of worth at one of these things?

The reporters will ask their stock questions. Beveridge will reply with stock answers in the most perfunctory way possible, with an eye to doing something useful with his time.

Pressers are as contrived as the WWE just without the personality or fun.

If it's amazing personality and insight you're looking for, subscribe to my substack.
Then let an assistant coach talk so we can hear from someone different for once.

Let's have some wild speculation about which quality young players without a lot of life experience might be sooking it up.

I'm gonna speculate it's Smith, Naughton, Weightman, maybe someone like Cleary and maybe even English. I don't think Marra.

3 of the 5 are part of a fwd set up that has leaked like a sieve all year putting pressure on the senior and not quick midfield to cover and they haven't converted on many occasions when they should have. Even Libba lamented half way through the year that they were a bit disorganised. Is there a bit of a rift there? Do they value the same things? There's an age difference for sure.

I'd be happy for Smith to leave and then have Josh Carr, Clay Smith and Stewie Dew come in and see how they like those apples.

Let's have some wild speculation about which quality young players without a lot of life experience might be sooking it up.

I'm gonna speculate it's Smith, Naughton, Weightman, maybe someone like Cleary and maybe even English. I don't think Marra.

3 of the 5 are part of a fwd set up that has leaked like a sieve all year putting pressure on the senior and not quick midfield to cover and they haven't converted on many occasions when they should have. Even Libba lamented half way through the year that they were a bit disorganised. Is there a bit of a rift there? Do they value the same things? There's an age difference for sure.

I'd be happy for Smith to leave and then have Josh Carr, Clay Smith and Stewie Dew come in and see how they like those apples.
“I’m gonna randomly pick 5 players and assume they’re sooking it up”

“Grrrr why are those 5 sooking it up when they’re apart of the issue!!!”

Nice

It would be amazingly funny to appoint Dean Cox as our next head coach. Sydney have him ear marked for when Longmire leaves.

Someone on Facebook who dabbles in bigfooty and said there's some big news coming up on the next week. Speaks with authority it seems. I want him to put up or shut up.
He doesn’t have any info. He gets the same info off Bigfooty and runs around spruiking elsewhere that he has the inside word.

Not to mention carelessly throwing club staffers under a bus via pure hearsay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just caught up with the Luke Darcy chat from MMM. Obviously he is personally supportive of Bevo but there was alot of meandering words that I felt left plenty of wriggle room.

A lot on here talk about Bevos loyalty for his men. But is there loyalty for the club as a whole? Bevo understands legacy, his grandfather at Collingwood and his father at StKilda both left a legacy for their clubs. Until 2022 Bevo was leaving a great legacy here, but it is quickly being flushed down the drain. How he now leaves will determine how he will be remembered at our great club?

Jack Niall has written an article in the Age that indicates from rwo sources Bev was overruled by Grant and Baines about Rohan Smith.

Bev wanted Smith to stay and Grant Baines wanted change

Last edited:
If the playing group is fractured on him there is simply no way back. To keep him knowing that, no matter what the financial hit, would be disastrous for the club.

I am going tonight. To put it simply, a loss would be easiest for all. Not saying i am barracking for a geelong win, but i cant put up with another year of Bevoball. He needs to go, we then need to start working on who takes over and what support they get.

If the playing group is fractured on him there is simply no way back. To keep him knowing that, no matter what the financial hit, would be disastrous for the club.
Club executives created it by 2 year deal.

Place needs a clean out from Bev and assistants, to Grant etc

We need one person the right person to be a benevolent dictator

I can see why Bevo might be holding out. Smith is a good friend. Smith is not on a 2yr contract like he is. They used Smith as a pawn to get rid of him instead of gunning for him directly. The result will be the same but Smith is jobless with no pay out. Didn't have to be that way.

Bevo is going to wring every last cent out of them and then compensate Smith in a fashion for being screwed over by Grant and Bains when it was him they were after.

I can see why Bevo might be holding out. Smith is a good friend. Smith is not on a 2yr contract like he is. They used Smith as a pawn to get rid of him instead of gunning for him directly. The result will be the same but Smith is jobless with no pay out. Didn't have to be that way.

Bevo is going to wring every last cent out of them and then compensate Smith in a fashion for being screwed over by Grant and Bains when it was him they were after.
Pretty sure Smith would have been going either way. Clubs have to let assistants know in August

Maybe because bubba was a yes man. And, they thought bevo was gonna be hard to get rid of. No matter what, bubba needed to go too. Not sure of the issue.

I refer to our Canberra correspondent Dogwatch this is being played out worst than any political party when they want their leader gone. Seems like more factions than the Labour party and more leaks than the bulldogs defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back