Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet, no sustained success, with 3 completely s**t down years from 21 and if the same trajectory is held this will be our worse year yet.

All our peers around the top 6 can constantly be there, Port, Geelong, Brisbane, Melbourne, why the hell are we always barely scraping into finals (if we’re lucky).

Bevo inherited the list in 15, GF in 16, couldn’t make finals in 17, 18, 19, lost to StK first elim final in 20, GF loss in 21, lost to Freo in 22, didn’t make it in 23, and now we’re being told we might have to rebuild/refresh/evolve again??? I’m sorry but no, it’s not great coaching at all. 21, 22 and 23 all should have been contending/top4/there-abouts but they haven’t been, and year on year we’re getting worse.

None of this speaks to good coaching to me.
Club made the finals in 2019 we lost to GWS

I’m not going by the media, I’m going by what I, and the whole football world are seeing.
Hey, I get that we are all at the end of our tether with the formline but what are you seeing apart from some crappy performances onfield... There's no evidence of player/coach disconnect or instability... that is all being drummed up by the media.

Hey, I get that we are all at the end of our tether with the formline but what are you seeing apart from some crappy performances onfield... There's no evidence of player/coach disconnect or instability... that is all being drummed up by the media.
If you can’t see that, then you must have wool over your eyes. This coach is turning us into a rabble quickly

Yet, no sustained success, with 3 completely s**t down years from 21 and if the same trajectory is held this will be our worse year yet.

All our peers around the top 6 can constantly be there, Port, Geelong, Brisbane, Melbourne, why the hell are we always barely scraping into finals (if we’re lucky).

Bevo inherited the list in 15, GF in 16, couldn’t make finals in 17, 18, 19, lost to StK first elim final in 20, GF loss in 21, lost to Freo in 22, didn’t make it in 23, and now we’re being told we might have to rebuild/refresh/evolve again??? I’m sorry but no, it’s not great coaching at all. 21, 22 and 23 all should have been contending/top4/there-abouts but they haven’t been, and year on year we’re getting worse.

None of this speaks to good coaching to me.

He experiments far too much. We'll change our structure multiple times a year. Other teams just don't do that unless it's forced by injury. There is a method coached around team structure.

This year has a massive 2014 vibe about. Although coming into this year our expectations were higher, the way it's playing out in the media right now suggests we are up for a massive shake up at the end of the year.

Gee I hope we turn this shit show around quickly otherwise I feel our season will be over before it begins and the mass exodus will be inevitable.

The dogs have played 50 home and away games since the 2021 GF. So if we ignore the Freo loss in the 2022 EF then the record in that time is 26-24 against all opponents, so the definition of a middle of the road/average side.

If we assume for 2024 that Geelong and Melbourne will be top six, Essendon and GC will be middle six and WC will be bottom six (which is hopefully a fair assumption), then if you split the record up into games against opponents 1-6, 7-12 and 13-18 on the ladder then I believe the record is:

Top 6: 5-13
Middle 6: 7-7
Bottom 6: 14-4

It's also of interest imo that in those five wins vs top 6 teams, all of them have been at Marvel (Swans/Pies/Dees in 2022 and Lions/Blues in 2023). So since we beat Brisbane and Port away in the 2021 finals we haven't beaten a top 6 team away from home.

You're probably going to look at those numbers, or any other numbers/stats around his coaching tenure, through the prism of whether or not you think he should still be the coach. In my view that's a decent chunk of time where he's not getting the best out a list that admittedly might not be great, but has had some top end talent and should perhaps be performing better and at least causing the odd upset against a good team away from home.

Last edited:
People falling for Bevo’s manipulative tactics about the list again like 2017 is insanity. As soon as the pressure is placed on him, suddenly the list is no good and the dogs need to tinker. If Bevo wasn’t a coach he could easily become a cult member with how he is able to get people to drink the Kool-aid. Also, if you’re bringing up 2019, 2020 and 2022 as proof he can coach then you’re be completely unserious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the pessimism behind the club that we won't - despite much evidence to the contrary - is both just not reflective of reality and history but also just a shitty way to support a football team. Why enjoy following a football team if we can't be more optomistic than we should?

2022 - r17 we lose to Swans by 57 points:

2020 - r9 we lose by 41 points to the Tigers:

2019: r11 we lose by 61 points to West Coast

Have a read through any of those threads and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thought that we could still play finals at the time. We did in all those years.
Great use of history, I seem to remeber in all of those three seasons we did make finals and then absolutely shit the bed in the elimination finals where Bevo was humilated by superior coaches in the coaching box.
I don't know where our list is currently, but with the list we have had in no way should we have accepted barely scraping into finals to be embarrassed in the first week as a pass.

And before the two grand finals and premiership argument gets served up, how many times has he got us into the top 4?
Will forever be grateful for 2016 and 2021 but to use that as an excuse to keep a coach whom is clearly cooked is just foolish and ignorant.

It is good that we have recognised we are terrible at converting. I will leave it to you whether a golfer is the most pragmatic goal kicking coaching option:

It is good that we have recognised we are terrible at converting. I will leave it to you whether a golfer is the most pragmatic goal kicking coaching option:

“Herbert believes that kicking for goal, particularly from a set shot, is less about raw talent and more about routine and mindset.”
“There’s no one who is unable to kick really well. It’s how you manage your emotions and everything that goes with taking each and every shot,” he said.

I stopped reading there. Just another bizarre decision by the club.
Has anyone, including Herb, actually observed our forwards kicking?
It’s entirely biomechanical. Naughton is technically putrid and has never improved this aspect of his kicking, whilst Jamarra also has a significant fault in his technique whereby he swings his kicking leg across his body. And this isn’t just my opinion, it’s been highlighted by Matthew Lloyd on a number of occasions.
I know it’s a crazy idea but perhaps we should be paying more attention to a guy with 900+ goals before engaging someone who can putt a golf ball?

The speed in which fans have soured on Bevo is very strange to me. We're a small team, all of our coaches historically have left the position losing far more games than they've won. Bevo may rub many the wrong way, but not enough assessment is given to wins and losses, and the value Bevo has brought to developing a list an culture where success is the expectation (even if it isn't always met).

These are some of the very same people that were patting the likes of McCartney on the back in wins and narrow losses at the end of 2013 when we won 8 games for the season, still finished bottom 4, and were "proud" to be competitive against non-finals teams before collapsing late in that was virtually the same result that everyone was so mad about last week.

Maybe his time is up, because we have a talented list and Bevo's really only gotten us to the top end in one season out of the last handful. That's fair enough. He also still has more or less the rest of the season to prove us wrong.

Souring on him as a good coach in general or agreeing with the general vibe of the media that have an agenda against Bevo because he doesn't like the media and doesn't make the media job easy (really guys? even if indirectly you support the likes of Kane Cornes over Bevo?) is just ridiculous. The very fact that Bevo will walk straight into basically any coaching job he wants and he'll have multiple teams wanting him is proof enough. Be careful what we wish for.
Agree strongly with this. He is definitely a very smart operator and has done great things for the club. He would get another appointment quickly if removed and would no doubt torture us in a few games.

I’m fine with people saying it’s his time but I’ve seen absolute vitriol directed at him. I don’t think people give enough thought to the fact we’ve been historically unsuccessful and lost seven prelims in a row. He’s blasted through that barrier twice with two very different sides.

It doesn’t absolve him of criticism or give him a lifetime appointment but I do think people underestimate how big a shift we’ve made as a club under him.

We played Jarrad Grant, the ultimately whipping boy, 19 games including the elimination final for 13 wins in the 2015 season.

The fact that he was (rightfully) picked for the 19 games as legitimately part of our best 22 in those games despite being at that stage a generally poor footballer shows you how Bevo was managing to get wins out of a poor list in 2015 (not that it really matters in judging him 9 years on)
The other thing is that people say “how can he leave out these three All Australians” without stopping to consider that they all became All Australians under his guidance.

At a different club Daniel might never have been given much of a chance. Dale looked close to the chopping block more than once.

Caleb, jack and bailey dale have all dropped considerably since they were AA. Hes got every right to drop them to see if they can reclaim the form.

He doesnt seem to be a great tactical coach and his motivation seems to have worn a bit.

Fwiw i think we win tonight but dont do much over the whole season. Probably just miss finals and theyll end it with bevo end of year.

He experiments far too much. We'll change our structure multiple times a year. Other teams just don't do that unless it's forced by injury. There is a method coached around team structure.
I disagree somewhat. The games where we make deliberate changes to our strategy and structures based on the opposition, are generally those games we do the best in.
Contrary to this board's consensus opinion, I like the tactics and game against Geelong. We just weren't good enough. But deliberate changes were made for that game. When we roll in without a plan, we generally get pummelled (see Melbourne Rd 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back