Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t believe I’m saying it but Kane Cornes is 100% on the money about us, and he has been for a while. Was the first to catch on before anyone other than bulldogs fans was realising what a shambles we are. And I ******* hate Kane Cornes - but fair play to him, and if he’s the one who has to put the pressure on us to actually make a change, then so be it. Onya Kane
A lot of what he says has merit, but his credibility is shot when he isn't consistent with other clubs. Just last night they were discussing how Josh Carr is waiting at the wings at Port and put the question to Kane that might they move on from Hinkley this year as its clear Port aren't a contender. He fired back saying they signed him to the end of next year, you have to back him in. No different to what we have done with Bevo (like it or not) yet he says he must go because we supposedly have the best of list of all time.

Please regale us with his reasons for leaving then.
Remember very few people will admit money is the motivation, and come up with a cover story to rationalise their decision.

Did he take a pay cut? I doubt it.
Yeah his new Brissy deal was offering him more money than the expiring deal, but our new offer to him would have been in the same ballpark as well. Dunks is a weird cat who Brissy turned into a tagger last year but he seems to be happy (to be fair his game against Gold Coast was epic).

Young is better than Cordy & Gardener and they were getting games ahead of him.

Have you ever peeked at Carlton's match threads? There's a lot of "I never want to see Young in a Blues guernsey again". The description of him as "a giraffe on roller skates smoking a spliff" was great.

My brother is a Carlton fan and he says he gets very nervous when the ball is near young and doesn’t trust him
His first year for us he was a beast, played with some aggression and confidence... Since then he's been a timid campaigner who's just about useless at everything bar spoiling.

Clearly something to do with his confidence as he's got all the physical tools to be a gun.

His first year for us he was a beast, played with some aggression and confidence... Since then he's been a timid campaigner who's just about useless at everything bar spoiling.

Clearly something to do with his confidence as he's got all the physical tools to be a gun.
That's pretty much how we saw him. There's a good reward for anyone who can unlock that confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's pretty much how we saw him. There's a good reward for anyone who can unlock that confidence.
Apparently he and Weitering had a falling out in pre season last year and basically told the coaches he can't play with him and since then he's been absolute shite for us.

For some reason whenever he plays our zone leaks like a sieve and when he doesn't it looks 10x better structurally. Not sure if it's a lack of communication on field from him or what but I know when Kemp and Marchbank play instead, despite being no more reliable than he is defensively, our zone just works far far better.

Josh Dunkley and Lipinski being let go whilst the likes of Vandermeer and Harmes are running around is an absolute failure of list management
They were hardly let go.

We fought off a previous attempt by Dunkley to go to Essendon two years previous to him going to Brisbane. He had another offer on the table to stay with us. We'll probably never know if it was as alleged cultural issues within the club, the influence of his family, money, the lure of the Queensland sun or all of the above that led to his choosing to leave to leave. But it was his choice.

We also had an offer on the table for Lipinski to remain at the club. He chose to leave instead of force his way into what at the time was one of the games most stable and competitive midfields. He didn't care for a role on the wing or half forward with stints in the middle. A place he thought was his birthright. The irony is that he plays essentially the same 4-5 mid rotation role at Collingwood that he didn't want to play with the dogs. Im guessing that they reshaped his thinking in a way that we couldn't.

It's a straw man to bring the likes of Vandermeer or Harmes into the discussion. Nobody in their right mind thinks that it was a deliberate strategy to let go of Dunkley and Lipinski in favour of the likes of VDM and Harmes. Or indeed any of the other mature age role filling failures that the club brings in.

If you're going to pot the clubs list management failings, by all means have at it. They've given us plenty of ammunition.

But do try and ground it in some kind of reality.

Last edited:
They were hardly let go.

We fought off a previous attempt by Dunkley to go to Essendon two years previous to him going to Brisbane. He had another offer on the table to stay with us. We'll probably never know if it was as alleged cultural issues within the club, the influence of his family, money or simply the lure of the Queensland sun or all of the above that led to his choosing to leave to leave. But it was his choice.

We also had an offer on the table for Lipinski to remain at the club. He chose to leave instead of force his way into what at the time was one of the games most stable and competitive midfields. He didn't care for a role on the wing or half forward with stints in the middle. A place he thought was his birthright. The irony is that he plays essentially the same 4-5 mid rotation role at Collingwood that he didn't want to play with the dogs. Im guessing that they reshaped his thinking in a way that we couldn't.

It's a straw man to bring the likes of Vandermeer or Harmes into the discussion. Nobody in their right mind thinks that it was a deliberate strategy to let go of Dunkley and Lipinski in favour of the likes of VDM and Harmes. Or indeed any of the other mature age role filling failures that the club brings in.

If you're going to pot the clubs list management failings, by all means have at it. They've given us plenty of ammunition.

But do try and ground it in some kind of reality.
It's almost if a "salary cap" exists

I can’t believe I’m saying it but Kane Cornes is 100% on the money about us, and he has been for a while. Was the first to catch on before anyone other than bulldogs fans was realising what a shambles we are. And I ******* hate Kane Cornes - but fair play to him, and if he’s the one who has to put the pressure on us to actually make a change, then so be it. Onya Kane
The same Kane Cornes who still sticks to his mantra that the Bulldogs have a top 4 list like a barnacle underneath my yacht? Guys like him and all the other chirping barnacles have the advantage of time always proving them right because all players and coaches careers are finite. Just because he and others with a personal axe to grind are inevitably going to see the back of Beveridge doesn't make what they've said to be right. It just makes them beneficiaries of an industry that rewards mediocrity. Something that isn't afforded the people under their ever critical eye..

Last edited:
To put Harmes and VDM in the same sentence is a total disrespect for James Harmes. He is a premiership player, and played his role well in that flag year. I also thought he played pretty good on Sunday arvo. He has ‘made it’ as a footballer. I don’t know whether VDM ever will? He has managed to get to 50 because he has a coach who can see something in him. I can’t, but apparently if we put up with week in week out rubbish, eventually he will get ok?? We’ve seen this a number of times under Bevo and none of those blokes he kept giving undeserved games to got even ok, let alone any good.

The same Kane Cornes who still sticks to his mantra that the Bulldogs have a top 4 list like a barnacle underneath my yacht? Guys like him and all the other chirping barnacles have the advantage of time always proving them right because all players and coaches careers are finite. Just because he and others with a personal axe to grind are inevitably going to see the back of Beveridge doesn't make what they've said to be right. It just makes them beneficiaries of an industry that rewards mediocrity. Something that isn't afforded the people under their ever critical eye..
Cornes has to deal with the fact that Port Adelaide has not even made a GF let alone won a flag, with a coach who has been there longer than Bevo has been with us.

Cornes has to deal with the fact that Port Adelaide has not even made a GF let alone won a flag, with a coach who has been there longer than Bevo has been with us.
Bevo and Hinkley have also taken their respective clubs to the same amount of finals series. The only thing Hinkley has over Bevo is the home and away record, which seems to be enough to satisfy Cornes.

Bevo and Hinkley have also taken their respective clubs to the same amount of finals series. The only thing Hinkley has over Bevo is the home and away record, which seems to be enough to satisfy Cornes.
I think people might take Kane Cornes a hell of a lot more seriously if he had the ability to criticise his former club in the way he does others. Being inconsistent in what he says about Port as compared to the rest of the competition severly impacts his credibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back