Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast have been playing WAFL level footy for nearly four years now.

There aren’t really any balls required in that case.
I mean paying out a coach with 1 year left on a large deal. Keeping in mind that was one of the reasons why our board was not keen on letting Bevo go last year.

I mean paying out a coach with 1 year left on a large deal. Keeping in mind that was one of the reasons why our board was not keen on letting Bevo go last year.
I think if we’d performed as badly as West Coast he would be long gone. Until the Port collapse I think the club would have been pretty confident of a finals berth.

The wheels could fall off with our mounting injuries etc and they might act then but I don’t think they’ll do anything until finals are definitely gone. That obviously wasn’t a consideration for West Coast.

Unless we don't win a game for the rest of the year and it turns into an unmitigated disaster - I'd put money on Bevo being there next year, the Bevo fanatics are firmly incharge.

We really do have a small club mentality it seems. We should be expecting more.

Player relationships are nice but only one part of the job. Hard to justify the results over the last three seasons.

Trading out your first round pick but actually the plan all along was to rebuild/evolve and probably finish bottom 6? Nobody should buy that.

8th, 9th, 9th or worse following a GF appearance should be sign enough that it’s time. It can’t be called reactionary when there’s this much evidence. The more they make excuses the further we stray from success.

But at least we can put up fake membership numbers like everyone else and claim that we’re hitting records year on year - everything must be going well.

We have also been unbelievably lucky picking up Treloar and Jones ( both AA quality players) as well as drafting two virtual no 1 picks ( Darcy and JUH) when we were a mid table team.

In spite of all that we are still ordinary.
Darcy and JUH have incredible potential but they are mid tier in terms of output right now

He said that 2 years ago, in July the year after making the grand final.

Bains stated we have a top 4 list following our loss to West Coast last season. Then we traded away our 2024 first round pick. We wouldn’t have done that expecting to regret it.

Either Bains and Power were way off in their assessment or Bevo is drastically underachieving. Something has to give.

Bains stated we have a top 4 list following our loss to West Coast last season. Then we traded away our 2024 first round pick. We wouldn’t have done that expecting to regret it.

Either Bains and Power were way off in their assessment or Bevo is drastically underachieving. Something has to give.
Yep - you're right comments were in 2023.

It's not really Bains position to analyse the list anyway. Leigh Matthews said it perfectly earlier in the year that CEOs and those on the board are not fit to have opinions on things like that.

Sam Power to me clearly sees the list needs improvement, have there been actions to the contrary?

Sam Power to me clearly sees the list needs improvement, have there been actions to the contrary?

The trade for Sanders does not align, if we thought we would be in the bottom 7-8 this year it made no sense to trade our first last year and this year for a pick that may end up similar to what we would have this year anyway. They clearly planned that trade as if we would be playing finals and our pick this year would be in the teens, unfortunately our club has people pulling in different directions and not on same page and it's reflective in the performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trade for Sanders does not align, if we thought we would be in the bottom 7-8 this year it made no sense to trade our first last year and this year for a pick that may end up similar to what we would have this year anyway. They clearly planned that trade as if we would be playing finals and our pick this year would be in the teens, unfortunately our club has people pulling in different directions and not on same page and it's reflective in the performance.
I read on the draft boards that Sanders would have been ahead of most of this draft crop anyway but again that's someone's analysis and opinion

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

My view of the situation is that there was a clear gap of high end star power (specifically in the midfield) and that issue was not going to be solved with first round picks from 10-15 (where I assume our first round picks would have been post father-son and academy bidding), and ultimately we took two first round selections last year as opposed to one last year and one this year (yes I realise we traded out a first round pick we received from Brisbane for Dunkley but that ended up being in the 20s anyway).

People saying we traded our future away are likening our situation to clubs like Collingwood who traded a future first round pick to bring in established players like Lachie Schultz but the situations aren't comparable at all.

Even though I was a bit meh on Sanders, the trade was fine.

Out: 13, 23, currently 8

In: 6, 48, 53, F3

The GC picks gave us 2/3 thr points to take Croft/retain picks for Freijah/Smith.

Strong likelihood 13 would have been lost to a bid for Croft had we retained it. Similar to GWS getting stitched up with Rowson the year prior.

So the best way imo to look at the trade is:

In: 6, F3
Out: 23, currently 8

If the recruiters believe Sanders will be a gun, the price they’ve paid to move up to take him isn’t an uncharacteristically high one:

• Essendon gave up pick 31 during the draft to move up one spot from 11 to 10;
  • Adelaide gave up their F2 and moved a later first back from 15 to 17 to move up from 11 to 8;
  • St Kilda traded Adelaide’s F2 to move up one spot from 18 to 17.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

My view of the situation is that there was a clear gap of high end star power (specifically in the midfield) and that issue was not going to be solved with first round picks from 10-15 (where I assume our first round picks would have been post father-son and academy bidding), and ultimately we took two first round selections last year as opposed to one last year and one this year (yes I realise we traded out a first round pick we received from Brisbane for Dunkley but that ended up being in the 20s anyway).

People saying we traded our future away are likening our situation to clubs like Collingwood who traded a future first round pick to bring in established players like Lachie Schultz but the situations aren't comparable at all.
At the moment the trade is not looking great, especially if we fade out this year.

Koltyn Tholstrup (melbourne) at 13 is going to be the steal of the draft. That kid is a beast. We could have taken him and Croft and keep our 1st rounder.

Sanders will be a good player though, I'm sure of it, yet more of an accumulator than explosive. Hopefully a Libba replacement.

At the moment the trade is not looking great, especially if we fade out this year.

Koltyn Tholstrup (melbourne) at 13 is going to be the steal of the draft. That kid is a beast. We could have taken him and Croft and keep our 1st rounder.

Sanders will be a good player though, I'm sure of it, yet more of an accumulator than explosive. Hopefully a Libba replacement.
No way we would have got a pick in before Croft if we didn't trade up to get Sanders. Everyone is about keeping us honest without our F/S picks. A bid would have been made on Croft prior which would have chewed up that 1st round pick. We never have one slide lower than expected just doesn't happen

No way we would have got a pick in before Croft if we didn't trade up to get Sanders. Everyone is about keeping us honest without our F/S picks. A bid would have been made on Croft prior which would have chewed up that 1st round pick. We never have one slide lower than expected just doesn't happen
Lachie Hunter and Zaine Cordy say hi!

I think we had other options for trading up that didn't include Gold Coast and should have backed out. The problem for us was that North were gifted their assistance picks and created a bidding war for the Gold Coast pick. At some point we needed to back away and start talking to other clubs.

I also wonder how much the club may have been expecting to lose both Baz and English, and not minded taking that gamble. At that point Baz's main link was to Hawthorn who finished the season in 16th, along with essentially getting a pick back right after where ours was anyway in the form of compo for English.

Not a lot has gone right since that trade, we're likely to finish lower than they expected and therefore coughing up more. The sides interested in Baz are looking to be finalists and English is staying. People are split over if we're better off with English or not, but that's potentially a second first rounder we may have been looking at when they did the deal last year

I think we had other options for trading up that didn't include Gold Coast and should have backed out. The problem for us was that North were gifted their assistance picks and created a bidding war for the Gold Coast pick. At some point we needed to back away and start talking to other clubs.

I also wonder how much the club may have been expecting to lose both Baz and English, and not minded taking that gamble. At that point Baz's main link was to Hawthorn who finished the season in 16th, along with essentially getting a pick back right after where ours was anyway in the form of compo for English.

Not a lot has gone right since that trade, we're likely to finish lower than they expected and therefore coughing up more. The sides interested in Baz are looking to be finalists and English is staying. People are split over if we're better off with English or not, but that's potentially a second first rounder we may have been looking at when they did the deal last year
Hawthorn won't be making the finals

They did that trade because they needed a replacement for Smith and expect to get a first rounder back.

Effectively like for like, and they clearly rated Sanders very highly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back