Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Things can obviously change quickly but I think a switch has flicked a bit with this side.

I really do tip my hat to Bevo and the coaching panel and at this stage I want him coaching next year.

Some good wins against good sides, consistent effort and young players coming of age.

Haven’t fixed the goalkicking yet but we have improved a lot of the things we were poor at.

Yep, played some awesome footy since Round 10 (apart from the Brisbane and Port games where we didn’t show up at all).

Not sure what flicked the switch after two years and 8 rounds of pretty awful footy, but there definitely looks and feels like a change.

Season is still a failure if we don’t make the finals from here. I’m happy to give Sydney and Brisbane but I’m not convinced any other side is better than us.

After being 3-5 with media pressure

Makes it clear that Daniel and Macrae role have to change if they are even in the side - much to a massive negative reception intially

Introduces a refresh of players like Bramble Coffield Freijah Gallagher etc that outsiders didn’t expect to do well.

Moves Lobb to defence and Richards to the midfield

Changes gameplan to have more speed that the game demands

IMG_8919.jpeg

His final act is consistency, then who knows what happens

Yep, played some awesome footy since Round 10 (apart from the Brisbane and Port games where we didn’t show up at all).

Not sure what flicked the switch after two years and 8 rounds of pretty awful footy, but there definitely looks and feels like a change.

Season is still a failure if we don’t make the finals from here. I’m happy to give Sydney and Brisbane but I’m not convinced any other side is better than us.

I reckon it was made clear that this season is the last chance saloon for Bevo. Enough drinking his own bath water, and get the team performing or you're gone.

Its a amazing what pressure for your job can do to your ability to perform.

Bev will be coaching next season. Keep up his support and we will be rewarded

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you are right, beacuse that's the kind of club we are, but he should not be locked in for next season until the end of the season. Persoanlly barring some miracle finals run, I'd still like to see someone new with this group of players.

How long does Jonno get to improve our kicking. It’s still awful.
It’s interesting that Naughton has improved so much yet overall we still aren’t great.

I think Darcy and Weightman are generally reliable kicks, and Naughton now joins that club. The culprits are often JUH, VDM and regrettably Bont.

JUH is at least showing signs that he’s getting it right after some shocking displays but even now a lot of his goals are snaps or spontaneous long bombs rather than set shots.

I think we’ll get gentle improvement from a few but while I think Bont could improve (he was actually a good set shot at one point) and JUH will get back to a competent level I just don’t think guys like VDM are going to get it right. McNeil often doesn’t make the distance from about 40m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't really spoken about how our team fit this year.

The new fitness staff have done a great job preparing us for the late run.

Generally, this time of year we would have massive fitness drop offs and get counter-attacked non stop.

Another big thing is that we have 6 players that kicked 20+ goals this year.

Amazing work by Lade and Spangher on their game plans
Not sure if stats back it up but feels like our last quarters have been our strongest quarter this year, running out games very well.

I think you are right, beacuse that's the kind of club we are, but he should not be locked in for next season until the end of the season. Persoanlly barring some miracle finals run, I'd still like to see someone new with this group of players.
Given he is contracted he is pretty much locked in at least for the first part of the season

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure if stats back it up but feels like our last quarters have been our strongest quarter this year, running out games very well.

Stats sort of back it up.

We've won 12 of 18 last quarters. We've only had one victory where we trailed at 3QT though.

For reference, we've won 9 first quarters, 11 second quarters and 8 third quarters (with two ties).

Last year we won 13 of 23 last quarters.

Stats sort of back it up.

We've won 12 of 18 last quarters. We've only had one victory where we trailed at 3QT though.

For reference, we've won 9 first quarters, 11 second quarters and 8 third quarters (with two ties).

Last year we won 13 of 23 last quarters.
For all the crap Bevo was given about saying we’d be the fittest we’ve ever been, there was clearly some substance to it. We’ve been regularly running over the top of sides late.

To the eye, that certainly seems the case.

Surprisingly, the stats say that (rushed behinds excluded) we've kicked 242.169 this year, better than average conversion.
Jonno's remit is for improving set shot accuracy only.

He talks about it in the second half of this podcast.

How long does Jonno get to improve our kicking. It’s still awful.
Weightman was the first person that has spoken about it last week.

I have a feeling that Johnno’s role is more specific to our forwards rather than team wide. Naughton & Weightman have been absolutely elite this season. Darcy very good. Jamarra poor but improving.

As another poster mentioned, his role is specific to set shots. I’m not sure of the recent stats but at the end of June 2024, we had the 4th highest set shot accuracy across the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back