Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s the right move by the Eagles. Everyone is knocking them back, a Bevo or a Hinkley type would probably be a great poach for them.

If I was Bevo I don’t think I would take the offer. I imagine he would (and should) still see great potential to be a Premiership coach again here, especially while we have Bont still at the peak of his powers. Can’t see Bevo leaving.

Whilst I don’t think it would happen, it would be absolute chaos.

Bevo is offside with the Melbourne media, imagine when he sees himself on the back of the West Australian with one of the dumbass articles approved by their teenage boy editor.

West coast coming hard for Bevo apparently have offered 6 year deal
Whateley said.

“I would say: ‘I’ve got six years in this briefcase. Do you want to take your chance on one or do you want to come with me for six?’ I’d ask.”

But Robinson thinks Beveridge wouldn’t depart the kennel with a year remaining on his deal given his loyalty.

“If there’s one person as loyal as Ken Hinkley, that is Luke Beveridge. Every single person at the Dogs would tell you that ... I find him a man of immense integrity,” Robinson said.

“I can’t see him cutting and running for West Coast with a year to run on his contract.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny ole world. A single (!) extra win this season and we are top 4 and still it, and noone would question Bevo or the club.
And one loss more and we'd have scraped into finals by percentage.
We just want consistency, and we have a list which should theoretically be putting consistent performances together most weeks, but we're not.
Buck stops with the coach.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Bevo is on record as saying we are the only AFL team he'll ever coach.

Anyway, the last time the Eagles poached a coach of ours he only won them 2 flags.
He is also on record saying a coach has a use by date of about 5 or six years or something along those lines.

It is not rocket science. The way around the speculation is for the club and Bevo to agree on what will trigger a new contract. From the clubs view it is either play finals or win a final and their will an extension. From Bevo's side he accepts this and will negotiate terms at the end of the season. Then it is made public and the media have nowhere to go on making it a continued story after any loss. This still gives Bevo an out if he meets the requirements and feels he cannot do anymore and accepts to move on.

And one loss more and we'd have s r*ped into finals by percentage.
We just want consistency, and we have a list which should theoretically be putting consistent performances together most weeks, but we're not.
Buck stops with the coach.
But we lost games by 4 and 7 points, but our narrowest winning margin was 14 points for any game this year, which is the same margin we lost a third game by.

It's not equivalent to say "if we had lost one more" and "if we had won one more" because they're not equally likely counterfactuals.

As loyal as Bevo is, if a 6 year offer came his way vs say a 1 year extension from us, it would definitely lead to some conversations. The west coast offer would have to be financially significant also you’d think. It gives everyone involved a really good, clean/respectful out if it happens.

If we panic and give him a multi-year extension because of this I give up. But Bevo would be wise to leverage this interest in exactly that way, knowing how much sway he has over the club.

It is not rocket science. The way around the speculation is for the club and Bevo to agree on what will trigger a new contract. From the clubs view it is either play finals or win a final and their will an extension. From Bevo's side he accepts this and will negotiate terms at the end of the season. Then it is made public and the media have nowhere to go on making it a continued story after any loss. This still gives Bevo an out if he meets the requirements and feels he cannot do anymore and accepts to move on.
I agree with a goal, even a publicly stated goal. I would slightly up it to top 4 and at least 1 finals win or 2 wins from bottom part of the 8, essentially preliminary final as the bare minimum. Start the season strongly, be bloody ready for the season from round one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back