Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Bobby comes back to the kennel as the new midfield coach or if Edge gets promoted as the new VFL coach. Did a decent job as Freos midfield coach.

Not sure Bob was a line coach? Stand to be corrected

Not sure what his role was at Freo seemed some type of helping players with whatever

Maybe Bobby comes back to the kennel as the new midfield coach or if Edge gets promoted as the new VFL coach. Did a decent job as Freos midfield coach.
The last thing Bevo needs is more ‘yes men’. Not saying Bob would be exactly that but he is too close to Bevo.
Sam Mitchell was a dirty rotten campaigner, and coaches that way, and has is also strong on the modern game plans.
The Hinkley, Bevo, Fagan type coaches that love their men and the love is mutual, work with good assistants who complement them, but they must be listened to, to work out.
Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris from our own club. Or Selwood or Cotchin from recently retired. Not Bob for a time or whilst Bevo is still coach.

The last thing Bevo needs is more ‘yes men’. Not saying Bob would be exactly that but he is too close to Bevo.
Sam Mitchell was a dirty rotten campaigner, and coaches that way, and has is also strong on the modern game plans.
The Hinkley, Bevo, Fagan type coaches that love their men and the love is mutual, work with good assistants who complement them, but they must be listened to, to work out.
Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris from our own club. Or Selwood or Cotchin from recently retired. Not Bob for a time or whilst Bevo is still coach.
I'd normally love Boyd or Morris but feel an outside voice with no preference exsisting links to Beveridge or the club is what we need.

Loved Morris, but there’s a possibility he’d be a little too soft/nice to be a really effective assistant coach

Two completely different eras so let’s not compare them. As I remember it, Aker was talked into, or decided on, one more season, after having said he was retiring. He put the club (and everyone) offside by writing columns for the HS (?) without getting permission. The one where he wrote that gay players shouldn’t “come out” tipped the outrage meter into red and he got the flick not long after.

Oddly, while at the club, he formed a strong friendship with Dale Morris, which continued after he left.
Aker also upset some teamates (Gia) by continuing to do the handstand after being told not to.

True, but with Geelong smashing the Eagles, if Port lost by approx 5 goals they would have dropped to 3rd and lost a home final. All of a sudden, Port had a bit to play for as well.
The 'what ifs' got a lot more complicated for GWS. Losing was an easy option.

What happened last year is irrelevant, unless it suits your 'logic'

Sleeping in your own bed and driving to the ground or flying the night before and sleeping in a hotel.
One is not like the other.

Using your 'logic' you should have told us all the Dogs were no chance against the Hawks because we choked in our last two finals and the Hawks had beaten us the last two times we've played (once this year and once last year).

I can't believe I wasted $101 on a ticket when logically we didn't have a chance.

How bout now?

Er, yes...

Yes. No, you're right. Obviously.

Had they beat us GWS had a 50/50 chance of having a home final. (In fact, Freo were favourites, so slightly better than that even).

They could easily have slept at home and played Port @ ENGIE.
But they  chose to play the Swans @ SCG first week of finals?

Sure. 👌

Thanks for the considered reply.... 🤪

Hill was talented, but never worked hard defensively, and inconsistent. Go back and look at this board's opinions of his efforts. Or the Eagles board after he moved.

Callan the "only one"! FMD. 23 possessions in a prelim - maybe delve deeper than stats. There's a reason he only played 3 games in 2009, and his last career game in 2010.

Tiller and Welsh are getting nowhere near the 2024 team. In 6 finals for us as the nominal full forward, Welsh kicked 2 goals in the 08 semi, and 1 goal in the 09 qual. That's it - 3 goals in 6 finals. He was great in h&a when the entire forward line was free wheeling and firing, but like the rest of Eade's undersized forward lines, finals pressure showed up its limitations. And Welsh was moved to half back in at least one of those prelims, might have even been both, as he barely touched the ball in 08, and got a few late cheap possessions in 09.

Gallagher,
Vandermeer,
Bramble,
McNeil,
Harmes,
and Freijah

would all be battling with Tim Callan for selection because they certainly aren't displacing anyone else from the 2008 prelim side.

I would rate 2008 Tiller slightly ahead of 2024 O'Donnell. It would be a close call between 2024 JUH and 2008 Welsh, with Welsh possibly getting the nod due to Marrah's current lack of reliability when kicking for goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Morris, but there’s a possibility he’d be a little too soft/nice to be a really effective assistant coach
Great communicator, experienced a competitive beast and driven to be the best. Sounds like good assistant coach credentials to me?

Er, yes...

Yes. No, you're right. Obviously.

Had they beat us GWS had a 50/50 chance of having a home final. (In fact, Freo were favourites, so slightly better than that even).

They could easily have slept at home and played Port @ ENGIE.
But they  chose to play the Swans @ SCG first week of finals?

Sure. 👌

If GWS beat us there were 3 possiblities for their finals opponent/location.

Port beat Freo - Play Port in Port
Port lose by less than 30 - Play Port at home
Port lose by more than 30 - Play Geelong at home

Sydneys form had dropped coming into the finals, we beat them easily at the SCG and Port flogged them by 112 pts in Adelaide.
IMO form coming into finals was Port > Gee > Syd

GWS cruising to a loss against us (we wanted a win badly to avoid a possible final in Brisbane) and playing Sydney in Sydney was the best option for them. Let's be honest, if they didn't shit the bed they'd be playing this week.

I’m sure coaches also want to go to big clubs, just like players….being a coach at the Pies looks good on your resume as against say Essendon….ha…isn’t it good saying that
We should be an attractive Assistant destination. Elite facilities, good list, and Bev is highly rated in the industry despite what is said about him here. Something is off if we can’t secure enough/the right people

Bev makes it hard for us to recruit decent players and assistants. He’s an odd cat and I reckon it puts people off.
It didn't stop us from getting Lobb (though I'm not sure if anyone else was into him) and it did land us Treloar in that his meetings with Bevo got him over the line. I might be wrong and we won't know but I do think it's the small club, unappealing western suburb's (for some, I live here), unappealing fixtures, historical lack of success that drives people away.

I always go back to post premiership 2016 when we were into Hurley coming iff the WADA ban. I thought we would definitely land him given Essendon's culpability and the prestige that comes with winning a premiership but alas, no. It meant nothing. He stayed at Essendon and we have never been a team that sits amongst the front runners in landing other players from other clubs.

Also not landing him probably turned out to be a good thing

It didn't stop us from getting Lobb (though I'm not sure if anyone else was into him) and it did land us Treloar in that his meetings with Bevo got him over the line. I might be wrong and we won't know but I do think it's the small club, unappealing western suburb's (for some, I live here), unappealing fixtures, historical lack of success that drives people away.

I always go back to post premiership 2016 when we were into Hurley coming iff the WADA ban. I thought we would definitely land him given Essendon's culpability and the prestige that comes with winning a premiership but alas, no. It meant nothing. He stayed at Essendon and we have never been a team that sits amongst the front runners in landing other players from other clubs.

Also not landing him probably turned out to be a good thing
Hurley’s reason for staying was not abandoning his team mates. That is the main reason players stay at most clubs, and the camaraderie that they miss the most when they retire they mention in their retirement speech.

I don’t think Bevo is a deterrent, he has actually got a few deals over the line when he becomes involved.

I think historically, we didn’t have a strong First Nations culture - that has changed. We didn’t have good facilities - that has changed. The club while not successful like others has been competitive for some time with two GF appearances in the last decade.

Gentrification has changed Footscray (not always for the best) and we do have areas like Williamstown that rivals Geelong and St Kilda, and we are much closer to the CBD then other clubs, with an amazing food culture, which Geelong doesn’t have.

I think the biggest factor against us is being a Marvel club, with no marque games, few MCG games and the constant derision from some media commentators, who like to see us as a eternal battlers/feeder clubs like the Essendon and Hawthorn media contingent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back