Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole idea of hiring him was a big mistake.
I disagree.

Aker wasn't the problem. On the field, Aker was the consummate professional and a true team player.

It was the jealous other players and coaches who mistakenly believed zealotry was the only path to victory, that were the problem. They couldn't tolerate anyone with different views or a different approach.

Ironically, if Aker was playing in the prelim, the year we sacked him, we quite possibly would have won, because we had all the play in the first half but just couldn't finish it off. He was exactly the type of finisher we missed.

I disagree.

Aker wasn't the problem. On the field, Aker was the consummate professional and a true team player.

It was the jealous other players and coaches who mistakenly believed zealotry was the only path to victory, that were the problem. They couldn't tolerate anyone with different views or a different approach.

Ironically, if Aker was playing in the prelim, the year we sacked him, we quite possibly would have won, because we had all the play in the first half but just couldn't finish it off. He was exactly the type of finisher we missed.
You are wrong. He is and was a narcissistic moron.

You are wrong. He is and was a narcissistic moron.
He was very individualistic, who eventually didn’t survive at Brisbane, and brought the same personality to us. We don’t know how long before he finally left that Brisbane tolerated his “individuality”; as long as his onfield brilliance served their ambitions, I suppose. We probably thought we could maybe change him, or overlook a few quirks - even though we were warned! 😆

He was very individualistic, who eventually didn’t survive at Brisbane, and brought the same personality to us. We don’t know how long before he finally left that Brisbane tolerated his “individuality”; as long as his onfield brilliance served their ambitions, I suppose. We probably thought we could maybe change him, or overlook a few quirks - even though we were warned! 😆

The problem with so many of our players at the time, was that they could do the set-up work but couldn't do those extra special things and take that individual responsibility to finish off the play. He should have been the perfect fit if only the rest of the team could have kept their own egos in check.

Unfortunately, a bunch of jealous players (led by a zealot coach) couldn't handle the attention he got and knifed him to the detriment of all.

Brisbane tolerated it for three premierships.

The problem with so many of our players at the time, was that they could do the set-up work but couldn't do those extra special things and take that individual responsibility to finish off the play. He should have been the perfect fit if only the rest of the team could have kept their own egos in check.

Unfortunately, a bunch of jealous players (led by a zealot coach) couldn't handle the attention he got and knifed him to the detriment of all.

Brisbane tolerated it for three premierships.
How have you reached the conclusion that those players were "jealous" and that Eade was a "zealot"?

How have you reached the conclusion that those players were "jealous" and that Eade was a "zealot"?

There are years of evidence that Eade was a zealot.

The players also showed their jealousy of Aker in other ways before the final anti-Aker coup took place.

Exhibit A was outlawing his famous handstands, which greatly disappointed of a lot of young Bulldog fans.

All to avoid hurting the fragile egos of a few precious princesses.

The players also showed their jealousy of Aker in other ways before the final anti-Aker coup took place.

Exhibit A was outlawing his famous handstands, which greatly disappointed of a lot of young Bulldog fans.

I thought every team in the competition was copying Geelong’s Leading Teams philosophy of everyone is equal there is no “I” in teams (individual). I think this philosophy was strictly followed by the Bulldogs with the leadership group enforcing it, so Akers handstands were considered too individual.

Thankfully this philosophy was discarded when Bevo took over.

I thought every team in the competition was copying Geelong’s Leading Teams philosophy of everyone is equal there is no “I” in teams (individual). I think this philosophy was strictly followed by the Bulldogs with the leadership group enforcing it, so Akers handstands were considered too individual.

Thankfully this philosophy was discarded when Bevo took over.

Everyone else acting like idiots, isn't a great excuse for us joining in.

Agree, not going down that path is a positive tick for Bevo.

You can call him whatever you like, so what?

He was an amazingly gifted football player. All the other players had to do was play with him.
He created a disharmony with the playing group and it effected how they played. If he kept playing I think they wouldn't have even made top 4 or even go out in straight sets. The team barely won in the semis as it is. The players wanted him gone not the club.

Chief princess being Gia. I agree with most of what you have said except for us winning the 2010 PF if Aker was playing. He was cooked by then.

He created a disharmony with the playing group and it effected how they played. If he kept playing I think they wouldn't have even made top 4 or even go out in straight sets. The team barely won in the semis as it is. The players wanted him gone not the club.
I think most of the players were manipulated to act the way they did, and would have acted differently if they were led appropriately.

At the time there was far too much focus on conformity, being the path to success.

Chief princess being Gia. I agree with most of what you have said except for us winning the 2010 PF if Aker was playing. He was cooked by then.

It was one of those games screaming out for someone just like him.
Of course we will never know what might have happened if, we just know what did happen, and that was the princesses certainly weren’t capable without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The defence of Aker in this thread has been hilarious. I just want to point out to the people defending Aker and Bevo that Bevo probably would have done the same thing as Eade and pushed out Aker. Hell, he probably would have let him retire.

Anyway, let’s get this thread back on track. Fire Bevo.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905
One of my favourite quotes. "If history has taught us anything it's that we should we learn from history" - NW, BFWBDF circa 2024

This post is unknowingly (but proudly if it were known) sponsored by Ashai Super Dry ... Asahi, it's more than a drink

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back