Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I understand your arguments, we were just horribly unlucky yet again (although the Hawks being drawn against the Squiggle’s flag favourites in an EF somehow overcame their “bad luck”), our under-achieving in actual ladder position and finals result according to the statistical models this year was actually less important than what the statistical models said and actually it’s our percentage and not the actual wins and losses that matter when looking forward. I just think they’re all glass half full, Pollyanna-esque excusing of some clear negative trends across 5+ seasons now and I doubt next year will be any different
I'm also not denying that Bevo couldn't have done better, that the 3-5 start has to be factored into not making top 4 (for much of the same reason Swans are rightfully top of the ladder with home finals on the basis of outstanding performances in those same opening rounds), or that we were rightfully favourites against Hawks and shat the bed - but you do underperform singles games sometimes, and it wasn't as if the Brisbane or Port losses prevented us from winning subsequent matches against other teams just as good as them as we did against the other three teams in the top 4 in the back end of the year.

What are we trying to achieve here, though? Are we looking forward to our chances of future success (by using past results as a guide to how likely that is), or are we looking backward sacking Bevo for the "punishment" of not being so successful, that he should have remained in the top 4, even with bad luck (even though I would argue that even making finals is success of sorts, I understand the perception that getting knocked out in finals in first week and missing out by losing key games can be frustrating as has been the case 5 of the last 6 years.

I can't argue with anyone's feelings to the reality that we didn't finish top 4 and we didn't get to enjoy finals wins (obviously), nor can I argue with the feelings of the way our season has ended 5 of the last 6 years.

People want to lash out at something and it's hard for human nature to accept that we're not masters of our own destiny and some things remain out of our control, though.

But in terms of suitability to try and win a flag next year, I think Bevo did enough to prove that he's likely better than the alternate of hiring a new coach, given all my posts above, given we played generally good football.

I would hope that people tasked with understanding that, such as the board and senior football department stuff, would not be driven by the human need for answers and consider all of that.

I'm also not denying that Bevo couldn't have done better, that the 3-5 start has to be factored into not making top 4 (for much of the same reason Swans are rightfully top of the ladder with home finals on the basis of outstanding performances in those same opening rounds), or that we were rightfully favourites against Hawks and shat the bed - but you do underperform singles games sometimes, and it wasn't as if the Brisbane or Port losses prevented us from winning subsequent matches against other teams just as good as them as we did against the other three teams in the top 4 in the back end of the year.

What are we trying to achieve here, though? Are we looking forward to our chances of future success (by using past results as a guide to how likely that is), or are we looking backward sacking Bevo for the "punishment" of not being so successful, that he should have remained in the top 4, even with bad luck (even though I would argue that even making finals is success of sorts, I understand the perception that getting knocked out in finals in first week and missing out by losing key games can be frustrating as has been the case 5 of the last 6 years.

I can't argue with anyone's feelings to the reality that we didn't finish top 4 and we didn't get to enjoy finals wins (obviously), nor can I argue with the feelings of the way our season has ended 5 of the last 6 years.

People want to lash out at something and it's hard for human nature to accept that we're not masters of our own destiny and some things remain out of our control, though.

But in terms of suitability to try and win a flag next year, I think Bevo did enough to prove that he's likely better than the alternate of hiring a new coach, given all my posts above, given we played generally good football.

I would hope that people tasked with understanding that, such as the board and senior football department stuff, would not be driven by the human need for answers and consider all of that.
I'm in the time for change camp but you've nailed it here. The last 12 weeks have earnt Bevo the chance to see at least the next season out.

Nah, it’s not lashing out. It’s not a punishment. I never said to sack Bevo ahead of next year. It’s about looking honestly at a known quantity, good and bad. I said based on the last half a dozen years my expectation is more of the same outcomes and I wonder what the club expects and what it’s satisfied with.

Contrary to your view, I hope they’re driven by the need for answers to why our recent seasons have played out the same way, the same failures repeated. I would be stunned if the club is sitting there patting each other on the back over their Squiggle rating and bemoaning another year of “bad luck”. The fact we turned the football department upside down last year off the back of two years of similar results strongly suggests that wouldn’t be the case. We’ll have our answer if Bev enters next season without an extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back