Injury Fyfe's Shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

He's in my dreamteam and i love the way he plays and his talent..

But if he's injured he shouldn't be playing :(

Next captain, I wish Stephen Hill would look at him every now and then and learn a thing or two about hardness.

I don't really remember Hill failing to take on his man or avoiding hard contests, the guy is a very different player and if his teammates arn't going to play to his strengths, I can't really fault the guy.

Yeah Hill is a runner - not a pack-breaker and expecting him to do so would be stupid as we want him with a solid yet slender frame in order to run run run

He should rely on other players to get the ball and protect him, just as other players rely on Hill to be there on outside ready to run when they get the ball out to him

Yeah Hill is a runner - not a pack-breaker and expecting him to do so would be stupid as we want him with a solid yet slender frame in order to run run run

He should rely on other players to get the ball and protect him, just as other players rely on Hill to be there on outside ready to run when they get the ball out to him

Yep agreed (and with you Sabre).

The last thing we need is Hill to go in and get injured. Hill is actually quite tough when in and under, however I am sure he is told to find space, run off particular players when they get mark it. Pretty hard to do when we can't hold on to the footy though.

It isn't the only way to break tags, you can break tags by getting your team mates to block for you, and also getting easy handballs from players on a mark.

If DeBoer has the ball 60m out, I want to see someone block for Mundy or Hill and have them receive the handball and deliver it. Or preferably we have someone who can kick 60m+ goals to give it to besides Pavlich.

If you watch the Weagles in their glory years 2005-2006 the amount of blocks going on to get Cousins, Judd, Kerr free was amazing. You'd have players pretty much concentrating purely on doing that like Stenglein, or those 3 doing it for EACH other. In our team we have our midfielders running to their own beat with no real interest in helping each other out. It's pretty shocking that such a simple thing isn't being done.

We do have an overabundance of outside players though, which encourages soft, weak willed football. I'd rather watch 5 DeBoers with shocking disposal tear a team apart with rough tackles than watch Hill with his hands on his hips going "woe is me I haven't touched the ball or got a tackle for 20 minutes". If we are going to lose we should do it such that we can get some entertainment value from seeing players hit hard. Like seeing Montagna ridden into the ground consecutive times in a one minute period and his shirt all ripped. Highlight of the match.

At some stage Hill will have to develop the ball winning side to his game.

Daisy Thomas was at the same stage 3 years ago, but over the last 3 years he's re-invented himself to be more inside as well as outside and as a consequence beats his opponent more often than not. He didn't need to bulk up, he just needed a new mind set and to learn a few new skills. You don't have to be a hulk to win your own ball.

Yep. The only way to break tags is to start winning your own ball. Receivers are too easily tagged.

True that.

He's our most damaging player when he has the ball and he's our easiest player to shut down. It's something he needs to get better a dealing witht, but it's also something the coaches need to start helping him with more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure this is something that is purely due to coaches instructions, but we have to prevent his direct opponent hurting us on the score board too.

Every week his opponent runs unopposed into the forward line and most weeks it reaps at least a goal or 2 (Geelong got 3!)

If you watch the Weagles in their glory years 2005-2006 the amount of blocks going on to get Cousins, Judd, Kerr free was amazing.
They got blocks, but they were still able to win their own ball. That's what Hill needs to start doing.

If people don't want Hill to win the hard ball, that's cool. Don't expect him to get more than 15 touches a game too often, though.

If you watch the Weagles in their glory years 2005-2006 the amount of blocks going on to get Cousins, Judd, Kerr free was amazing. You'd have players pretty much concentrating purely on doing that like Stenglein, or those 3 doing it for EACH other. In our team we have our midfielders running to their own beat with no real interest in helping each other out. It's pretty shocking that such a simple thing isn't being done.

All of those blokes could win their own ball - they also happened to be farly damaging when they got into space as well.

No one was blocking for a 21 year old Cousins in the late 90's when he had 2 AA's winning his own ball.

It's dead simple at the moment for the opposition due to the injuries we have. Hill is easy to tag.

With Barlow and Morabito in, that makes Mundy, Barlow top of the list of taggers. Beneath that is Hill, Fyfe and Morabito.

Hill is second or first in line at the moment to be tagged. No one else on our team is making the opposition think twice..

They got blocks, but they were still able to win their own ball. That's what Hill needs to start doing.

If people don't want Hill to win the hard ball, that's cool. Don't expect him to get more than 15 touches a game too often, though.

Right, he'll be Mundy esque until he develops that side of his game. Mundy has developed a few ball winning skills now, but most of his career he has been limited to outside roles and with his tiny frame unable to do much ball winning. Hopefully Hill comes on a lot quicker than that.

Still, with blocks we could get him up to 22ish disposals a game... and with his run and carry that's as good as most players 30.

It's dead simple at the moment for the opposition due to the injuries we have. Hill is easy to tag.

With Barlow and Morabito in, that makes Mundy, Barlow top of the list of taggers. Beneath that is Hill, Fyfe and Morabito.

Hill is second or first in line at the moment to be tagged. No one else on our team is making the opposition think twice..

Spot on.

Take Swan, Pendlebury, and Shaw out of Collingwood and see how Daisy goes. He suddenly cops one of the main tags.

Spot on.

Take Swan, Pendlebury, and Shaw out of Collingwood and see how Daisy goes. He suddenly cops one of the main tags.
Morabito isn't the level of any of those. Morabito not being in the team is not affecting Hill.

Thomas can now win his own ball, that's what makes him a good player. That's what Hill needs to do. Otherwise he will forever be a receiver.

That's not true, Hill will always be the first choice because he's the easiest bloke to completely shut out of the game and the most damaging when he you leave him to his own devices.

There is a reason that Mundy, Pavlich and even Fyfe aren't being tagged at the moment. They are still going to be able to win the ball around contested stoppage situations whether there is a guy tagging them or not. You can reduce their impact around the ground, but so what? They are still going to hurt you where it matters most, which is getting first hands on the footy. Quite simply it's not as effective as tagging Hill, because you can completely shut him out of the game.

Compare the tagging job that Clint Jones did on Barlow last season (@ Etihad), versus the job he did on Hill on Saturday. Barlow was less effective around the ground but still did all the usual stuff at stoppages and finished up with 28 disposals; in the rematch (@ Subiaco) Barlow trounced him further.

Compare the tagging job that Clint Jones did on Barlow last season (@ Etihad), versus the job he did on Hill on Saturday. Barlow was less effective around the ground but still did all the usual stuff at stoppages and finished up with 28 disposals; in the rematch (@ Subiaco) Barlow trounced him further.
Ostensibly a good example, but Jones went to Hill in the rematch at Subiaco.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Fyfe's Shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back