News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I am quite often on the roads at school drop off and pick up times and I am not sure where you live, but it doesn’t matter where I drive or what suburb I am in the roads are s**t.
Inner City or outer Suburbs.
Yes, peak hour traffic in Brisbane now starts around 2.30pm.

When I have multiple people responding to my comments at once, sometimes it's hard to manage responding to them all and some get overlooked. I didn't mean anything personal by it. I have other things in life that need my attention too sometimes. I'll give you a response now.

But it isn't close for kids to walk or cycle to. It's only 5 minutes up the road for people who are driving. And not everyone can drive their kids to school. This is why we have local facilities instead of just a small number of giant schools across the city where everyone commutes to, particularly for primary schools.

Pollution isn't a reasonable point in my opinion, because we allow residential development along major roads too. Why is it okay for kids to be near car fumes at home but not at school?

I'd also say this is going to be less of a problem in future as electric cars replace petrol cars. We're already past the worst of it.

I'd argue all of Woolloongabba is changing to be high density and based around public and active transport rather than traffic. Anywhere with high density will have traffic issues because there is limited road space for many people. Does that mean schools shouldn't be allowed in such areas?

Too bad for the government then. A growing area needs a school. It's up to the government to placate the locals if they want to take away the school and send it somewhere else, even if it's politically difficult. Their failure to do that is part of the reason why the Gabba demolition and complete rebuild won't be going ahead.
The sooner we all move to electric mopeds, the better.

But it isn't close for kids to walk or cycle to. It's only 5 minutes up the road for people who are driving. And not everyone can drive their kids to school. This is why we have local facilities instead of just a small number of giant schools across the city where everyone commutes to, particularly for primary schools.
I live in the area, it's 5–10-minute walk/bike up the road, maybe 12 depending on traffic lights. Driving you're looking at less than that.

It's still very much a local school Coorparoo is directly next to Woolloongabba.

Pollution isn't a reasonable point in my opinion, because we allow residential development along major roads too. Why is it okay for kids to be near car fumes at home but not at school?

I'd also say this is going to be less of a problem in future as electric cars replace petrol cars. We're already past the worst of it.
I'm going to ignore the bolded as it's not really what the point of this discussion is. This can be dealt with at another time in another thread.

That being said, there's a difference in having kids inside an apartment building/house, where they can open and close windows/doors if things get smoggy, and being expected to play at lunch time in a field that's surrounded by two of the busiest streets/roads in Brisbane.

Your two examples are not the same.

I'd argue all of Woolloongabba is changing to be high density and based around public and active transport rather than traffic. Anywhere with high density will have traffic issues because there is limited road space for many people. Does that mean schools shouldn't be allowed in such areas?
If I were to build a new school in the area, I'd be looking at buying out the land around Deshon street (where the car fitters and other garages are) and building a new school there. Or buy out the residents from one or two blocks across the road and put in a school there. The problem is that doesn't fix the traffic problem the area has. Woolloongabba is badly designed from a city planning perspective (technically most of Brisbane is), the school even being where it currently is was a mistake given what's gone up around it.

Regarding your point on schools being allowed in congested areas, name one state school that's in an area similar to that school (outside of State High). Every other school in Brisbane city is a private school, and they can do whatever they want, nobody can do anything about that. Every state school is a lot further out from the city. Maybe there is a reason for that.

But the issue here is that you don't have to build a new school, because there is a school at Coorparoo with space, and further space to expand in the future. No over the top construction that requires the purchase of entire blocks required.

Too bad for the government then. A growing area needs a school. It's up to the government to placate the locals if they want to take away the school and send it somewhere else, even if it's politically difficult. Their failure to do that is part of the reason why the Gabba demolition and complete rebuild won't be going ahead.
The area has another public school 5 minutes up the road... at Coorparoo.

Even if you were to build more buildings on the current school's land, eventually that school is going to run out of space where it currently is. The government realises this regardless of the Gabba rebuild, and you kind of hint to that reason in the above. The area is growing, and that school isn't going to cut it.

I’d be very interested in how many parents let their kids cycle to that school.

It’s probably less than the half dozen who cycle to my daughters school.

Kids riding their bike to school stopped the day the Fed Gov introduced mandatory helmet laws in 1990.

I’d be very interested in how many parents let their kids cycle to that school.

It’s probably less than the half dozen who cycle to my daughters school.

Kids riding their bike to school stopped the day the Fed Gov introduced mandatory helmet laws in 1990.
At a guess, I would think 85-90% of students are either driven to School or catch Public transport.
I would say mostly driven for Primary School students.

Don't know them other than what's mentioned in the article.
Obviously qualified in his/her area of expertise.

It is the same as Coats going to The Courier Mail, but he did at least front the review panel.
If you are a known person or personality like in TV/radio/social media, you get a stage on the media with your opinion.
The modern media are very lazy in investigating/researching anything.
Did anyone from the media ask said power couple if they made a submission to the review panel.
The answer to that is probably no they did not.
Rugby Royalty and Board member and major donor to the Qld Reds. Chair of Racing Qld. Stockbroker and philanthropist. Recently restored Lamb House. His wife is also on many Boards. Has a Harvard MBA on top of her Medical degree. Very accomplished pair.Safe to say he would not have the interests of the Lions anywhere near his heart or thinking.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rugby Royalty and Board member and major donor to the Qld Reds. Chair of Racing Qld. Stockbroker and philanthropist. Recently restored Lamb House. His wife is also on many Boards. Has a Harvard MBA on top of her Medical degree. Very accomplished pair.Safe to say he would not have the interests of the Lions anywhere near his heart or thinking.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
:think: Surprise, surprise, surprise... another wants Lang Park upgraded off the Olympic teat, no way it would be a coordinated campaign.

lol we are at the stage of the process where every man and his dog thinks there is money up for grabs to improve their sporting arena. Need that report to be delivered asap.

I must admit this talk of the capacity being 48,000 or even 50,000 has a massive whiff of "why bother?" to me.

I mean, sure, the Gabba has a capacity of only 36k or so when you account for things like the video scoreboards and the verandah and what not... But what's to stop this new stadium, wherever it ends up being, from having the same? We could have this whizbang "50,000 seat stadium" that in 20 years time we'll be saying "erm get yer facts straight, it only holds 43k because of x, y and z".

Stop pussyfooting around and make it minimum 55k, preferably 60k, so you can comfortably seat 50k AND have your verandah or whatnot if so desired.
The Gabba rebuild proposal was for a minimum 50k, was estimated at 55k for footy and cricket.

lol we are at the stage of the process where every man and his dog thinks there is money up for grabs to improve their sporting arena. Need that report to be delivered asap.
Yeah I am totally uninformed on this topic but it is clear every NRL talking head is now trying to get Lang Park upgraded for no real reason at all. Watch it happen too.

Ironic thing to say, given I was raised in the suburbs, currently live in the suburbs, and until recently I worked in Logan.

Life is different in the suburbs. Traffic is lower because there are more roads and fewer people. People know what they're signing up for and can plan their lives based on things being far apart. This is necessarily a different standard to the inner city, where if everyone tried to drive, it'd be pandemonium. Forcing more people in the inner city to drive is utterly horrendous urban planning. If you think these people's concerns and unimportant and deserving of ridicule, well, just remember the convenient things in your life can also be taken away in the name of the greater good one day.

Again everyone, just a reminder that Johnny Bananas is talking about a 1km move to a brand new facility for a school that holds 300 students.

This is a significantly shorter trip than most catchment areas in the state and thousands of students deal with this on a daily basis.

The majority of state schools in Queensland would jump at the chance to move 1km up the road for brand new facilities. The majority of state schools in Queensland don’t have the resources that this school has. The majority of schools in Queensland don’t have angry cashed up NIMBY’s to advocate for them.

As it is impacting families at a school with a high ICSEA value, we hear about it.

Buy a go card and enjoy the new facilities.

Again everyone, just a reminder that Johnny Bananas is talking about a 1km move to a brand new facility for a school that holds 300 students.

This is a significantly shorter trip than most catchment areas in the state and thousands of students deal with this on a daily basis.

The majority of state schools in Queensland would jump at the chance to move 1km up the road for brand new facilities. The majority of state schools in Queensland don’t have the resources that this school has. The majority of schools in Queensland don’t have angry cashed up NIMBY’s to advocate for them.

As it is impacting families at a school with a high ICSEA value, we hear about it.

It may be important to clarify that the students won't be inside the buildings when they're demolished.

the school is going no matter what so i dont even see what the point of the campaign is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus as I have pointed out before there wouldn't have been more than 20 protesters in Lion park a couple of months ago for their "big" protest gathering. I wouldn't mind betting that a decent number of parents and teachers are for the move but that doesn't create headlines and clicks for the Lame Stream Media.

It didn't help, but there's a little more to it.

I went to a high school on the outer fringe of Bribsnae of about 1200 students. At the time I'd guess 30% rode their bikes. But there was next to no public transport. My kids go to a high school on the outer fringer of Brisbane with over 200 students. On any given day there would be no more than 50 kids riding. But there are an abundance of school buses that run.

‘Golden triangle’ of 2032 Olympic Games venues rejected by Qld leaders

I can't get behind the paywall, here is the headline >

A proposal for a “golden triangle” of venues for the Brisbane Olympics, including a 50,000-seat stadium in Victoria Park, has failed to win the support of local or state government leaders.
Doesn't really say a great deal:
‘Golden triangle’ of Games venues rejected by local, state leaders
By Matt Dennien and Tony Moore
February 28, 2024 — 9.33pm
A proposal for a “golden triangle” of venues for the Brisbane Olympics, including a 50,000-seat stadium in Victoria Park, has failed to win the support of local or state government leaders.

Former South Bank chairman Steve Wilson and his company-director wife, Jane, had proposed a 50,000-seat stadium at Victoria Park, an upgraded Suncorp Stadium, and a Madison Square Garden-style transformation of the Gabba into an indoor arena.

“We need new facilities for this incredible city of ours that are fit for purpose for the future,” Mr Wilson told ABC Radio Brisbane on Wednesday morning.

Premier Steven Miles, speaking to journalists in Cairns, described Wilson as “a great Queenslander” who had made a “really valuable” contribution to the debate about new venues. However, Miles said he was wary of allocating funding beyond the existing envelope.

“It would be very difficult to get the Australian government to commit those funds,” he said.

“I’ve heard from Queenslanders – particularly in regional Queensland – that they think the existing funding allocation for the Olympics is enough. I don’t think they’d want to see a big increase in the amount of funding allocated.”

Miles is awaiting former mayor Graham Quirk’s independent review of planned Olympic venues amid concerns over the cost of the Gabba rebuild and Brisbane Arena projects.

The Wilsons are rallying against a “cut-price” Games, saying Brisbane should seize the opportunity to build world-class venues.

“What we have got to do ... is provide what our city and state needs in the next 10 years and the next 30 years,” Mr Wilson said.

“Melbourne had the wisdom and the vision to turn our cricket ground [the MCG] into a world-class stadium … that’s one of the greatest sporting precincts in the world.

“My proposal isn’t just about one place, it’s about ‘place-making’, it’s about activating places.”

Incumbent Brisbane lord mayor Adrian Schrinner was also reluctant to back the Wilsons’ proposal, describing it as “just one of many suggestions that are floating around”.

He said the park, which the council wants to transform into Barrambin, was already scheduled to host equestrian and BMX events at the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games and was not suitable for a permanent stadium.

“The reality is, we are already beginning to create Brisbane’s biggest new park in 50 years,” Schrinner said on Wednesday. “As far as I am concerned, this is the plan for Victoria Park.”

The federal government is assessing the Barrambin plan and whether to commit funding under the SEQ City Deal.

The temporary equestrian and BMX venues in Victoria Park are outside the terms of reference of Quirk’s review, which is due by March 18.

Asked about the Wilsons’ proposal, Labor’s mayoral candidate, Tracey Price, said her party had always wanted the Olympics to leave a legacy throughout Brisbane, not just in the inner city.

But she said it was important to consider the outcome of the Quirk review.

“We need to wait for this vital report to come out which will give us a full picture on what we need to do to prepare for the 2032 Olympics,” she said.

Doesn't really say a great deal:
The article did say enough regarding Vic Park and did not even mention it is heritage listed.

He (Adrian Schrinner) said the park, which the council wants to transform into Barrambin, was already scheduled to host equestrian and BMX events at the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games and was not suitable for a permanent stadium.
The temporary equestrian and BMX venues in Victoria Park are outside the terms of reference of Quirk’s review, which is due by March 18.

The article did say enough regarding Vic Park and did not even mention it is heritage listed.

He (Adrian Schrinner) said the park, which the council wants to transform into Barrambin, was already scheduled to host equestrian and BMX events at the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games and was not suitable for a permanent stadium.
Yep Victoria Park is a non-starter. As expected the cost of Wilson's proposal would send the government running.

Plus as I have pointed out before there wouldn't have been more than 20 protesters in Lion park a couple of months ago for their "big" protest gathering. I wouldn't mind betting that a decent number of parents and teachers are for the move but that doesn't create headlines and clicks for the Lame Stream Media.

I think you are right M Malice, this paper is from late last year and it seems the majority of families were most likely on board from the beginning, just a few of the self entitled crying about it.

There is no group of politicians of any political persuasion anywhere in Australia who have the expertise to ensure the Olympics are delivered on time and on budget.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back