News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no group of politicians of any political persuasion anywhere in Australia who have the expertise to ensure the Olympics are delivered on time and on budget.
I am pretty optimistic that the Brisbane games will be successful and really should end up being costs neutral.
Then on top of that you have tourism dollars that is not taken into consideration on the above.

All this carry on about The Gabba is really politically motivated and media driven.
So far there is no delay on the proposed starting time should The Gabba go ahead either in a full or staged rebuild.
Nothing was planned to start until the completion of works on Cross River Rail Wooloongabba Station construction site.
Should another site be the solution they have 6, 7 or even 8 years (that's pushing it though) to build the stadium.

However, the Olympics is a huge step up from the Commonwealth Games and will require a lot of work and planning.
They have the IOC to guide them so that will be a big help.

Brisbane was granted a long lead in time to build the proposed 6/7 new venues with only 2 very big-ticket items.
Hopefully that gets dropped back to only one with them cancelling the Brisbane Arean thought bubble.
That long lead in time gives the three tiers of government a huge advantage in budgeting for the games.

The Qld Government has already budgeted $1.9 billion plus more for some specific arears.
Each year more allocated money will go into future budgets towards the Brisbane Olympics.
Below taken from the last Queensland budget 2023/4 handed down in June 2023.

Program ($1.9 billion). Total forecast expenditure for the venues infrastructure program over 4 years to 2026-27 is $1.9 billion.
A further $154.7 million is provided over 4 years from 2024–25 for Economic Development Queensland to bring forward delivery of public infrastructure to facilitate the development of services and land for the Brisbane Athlete Village.
The 2023–24 Budget also includes $44 million as the state’s contribution to the University of Queensland’s proposed Paralympic Centre of Excellence as part of the Brisbane 2032 Legacy Plan.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by how it was received and frequented by the Australian public during WW2.
It was closed down as the article mentioned. I suppose they had no real option.
i am sure it was not looked on in a favorable light.
Those first 5 years or more after the war would have been a challenge for everyone.

It was closed down as the article mentioned. I suppose they had no real option.
i am sure it was not looked on in a favorable light.
Those first 5 years or more after the war would have been a challenge for everyone.
The article references WW1, not WW2, hence my question.

Those poor children going to that smog covered school. This goes far beyond a football stadium. Children are being poisoned by industrial and petrol fumes at school! This is a moral outrage. The only appropriate response is a spiritual struggle against this oppression. A jihad if you will. I go to the same mosque as the Dean brothers children. Wallahi, that school will fall. Inshallah those children will be freed. Ill just have to remind the boys to get to work DURING school holidays not after. Atifullah can be a bit of a goose with the scheduling calendar but he will get the job done. This coming Ramadan sounds like a good time for liberation.

Yes I'm aware, but the article says it closed down during WW1, but implies it remained open during WW2. Hence my original question.
During their time living at the Club, the family made many friends and life was very good, but bad luck struck again in 1939 when England declared war on Germany once more. The night that war was declared, with an announcement on the radio, the president and German Club committee decided that the club would be closed for the duration of the war.
..........................................................................................................

To your original thoughts about how they were treated is mentioned in the article regarding the Chief Steward at the club.
Shots fired through the windows.
His son died in the war fighting for Australia but still not treated well.

Geelongs new 140 mill stand looks great. It's odd the difference in pricing between stadiums. Maybe they do the station entry end of the stadium with all the bells and whistles and dig down under the ground, then do the other 70 percent of the stadium like the Geelong redevelopment, in stages.

It would cut costs a fair bit. I think if they could get it under $2 billion it might be easier to sell the idea, tell the public we are saving $1 billion off the original plans via the stadium being cheaper and saving on the significant relocation costs of footy and cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just tell the public the 2 Billion the IOC is giving us is for the new stadium so it's costing the taxpayer nothing, why they didn't highlight the money coming form the IOC is staggering.
The amazing thing about the IOC funding is that it was announced right at the very beginning of Brisbane getting the games.
I remember this clearly but i had to go to the actual contracts to verify it was correct.

I wrote to the last Premier just before she resigned and then immediately to Miles. Also sent information to Grace Grace recently.
I stated a few things the Government had handling badly over the previous 6 or so months.
Top of that list was the IOC guaranteed funding and additional income from the games that never got mentioned.
The Government was all about defending the costs of The Gabba when simple arithmetic to the public would have solved most of their media and political issues.
By the way i never got a reply from either of the 3 bar the standard auto email reply.
My correspondence was done in a non-confrontation style.

Below link to an early announcement about Brisbane being awarded the games. Article dated Feb 25th year 2021.
This was just before the final decision was made but everyone knew Brisbane would be awarded the Olympics.

John Coates, president of the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC), said holding the Olympics would essentially cost Queensland nothing, with the IOC promising about $2.5 billion and further costs covered by ticket sales and sponsorship.

"The operating costs for these games is about $4.5 billion. The IOC contributes $2.5 billion," Mr Coates said.

"Then you get your approximately $1 billion from national sponsorship and $1 billion from the ticketing.

"That's enough to pay for both the Olympic and the Paralympic Games without any call on the state or federal or local governments."

"The operating costs for these games is about $4.5 billion. The IOC contributes $2.5 Billion," Mr Coates said.

"Then you get your approximately $1 billion from national sponsorship and $1 billion from the ticketing.

"That's enough to pay for both the Olympic and the Paralympic Games without any call on the state or federal or local governments."
:rolleyes:Could it be as straightforward as > Politicians are so busy spinning a narrative and trying to "look" clever that they just plain do not see the simple solution that is staring them in the bloody face?

IMO, Yes Minister.

:rolleyes:Could it be as straightforward as > Politicians are so busy spinning a narrative and trying to "look" clever that they just plain do not see the simple solution that is staring them in the bloody face?

IMO, Yes Minister.
If Minister X or Premier Y makes a decision then they are responsible for the consequences ... if Minister X follows the recommendation of a bipartisan committee then they can still grab the glory for success but the consequences of failure are outsourced to the committee/the process and so no one individual has to fall on their sword.

It is a key feature of managerialism.

The amazing thing about the IOC funding is that it was announced right at the very beginning of Brisbane getting the games.
I remember this clearly but i had to go to the actual contracts to verify it was correct.

I wrote to the last Premier just before she resigned and then immediately to Miles. Also sent information to Grace Grace recently.
I stated a few things the Government had handling badly over the previous 6 or so months.
Top of that list was the IOC guaranteed funding and additional income from the games that never got mentioned.
The Government was all about defending the costs of The Gabba when simple arithmetic to the public would have solved most of their media and political issues.
By the way i never got a reply from either of the 3 bar the standard auto email reply.
My correspondence was done in a non-confrontation style.

Below link to an early announcement about Brisbane being awarded the games. Article dated Feb 25th year 2021.
This was just before the final decision was made but everyone knew Brisbane would be awarded the Olympics.

John Coates, president of the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC), said holding the Olympics would essentially cost Queensland nothing, with the IOC promising about $2.5 billion and further costs covered by ticket sales and sponsorship.

"The operating costs for these games is about $4.5 billion. The IOC contributes $2.5 billion," Mr Coates said.

Annastacia Palaszczuk never wanted to get bogged down in nitty-gritty technical arguments and always kept things as simple as possible.

This strategy worked brilliantly at first, taking down Campbell Newman who came across as very aggressive, macho and argumentative. But became a huge weakness for her the longer her leadership went on.

The lack of communication about the IOC money is a great example, another is the Gabba rebuild costings suddenly jumping from 1b to 2.7b.

The first costing was a technical requirement from the IOC that had a bunch of limitations and criteria around it. It was never meant to be a realistic figure, it had to be put together in three weeks and had to be calculated in 2019 dollars. I saw one estimate saying that simply putting that initial costing in post-COVID dollars would bring it up to 1.9b.

None of that detail ever gets reported. While there is absolutely an element of clickbait-obsessed media to that, a large amount of the blame has to be put on Palaszczuk’s complete lack of interest in prosecuting critical technical arguments.

Those arguments are lost now. Once public perceptions are set, they become almost impossible to shift.

Its quite simple
IOC pays for main stadium
Feds pay for new indoor arena
Qld govt pays for transport and related infrastructure.
All of the above are legacy assets for the State and country.

Just put this in a fancy infographic with squares and circles

Its quite simple
IOC pays for main stadium
Feds pay for new indoor arena
Qld govt pays for transport and related infrastructure.
All of the above are legacy assets for the State and country.

Just put this in a fancy infographic with squares and circles
It’s not actually that simple, but it’s certainly what they should have been saying in every media conference and press release from the start.

Good to see the courier mail really pushing this Victoria park idea. They have more vision than the government. This will never happen coz it takes up most of the park, but they are suggesting a Melbourne park style sporting complex, including a 70k seat new stadium that will help Brisbane obtain a second AFL team. Good to see they are pumping up the AFL and leaving out the rectangular codes trying to get their lick of the ice cream. I posted one screenshot of the article, which gives the jist of it.

Screenshot_20240303-111734_Chrome.jpg

Good to see the courier mail really pushing this Victoria park idea. They have more vision than the government. This will never happen coz it takes up most of the park, but they are suggesting a Melbourne park style sporting complex, including a 70k seat new stadium that will help Brisbane obtain a second AFL team. Good to see they are pumping up the AFL and leaving out the rectangular codes trying to get their lick of the ice cream. I posted one screenshot of the article, which gives the jist of it.

View attachment 1918256
My goodness The Courier Mail will publish anything.
No dollars attached to the vision.
And yet they continue to slam The Gabba project as excessive overspending.

This sort of vision is exactly what the IOC is trying to stop, starting with the Brisbane Olympic Games.

The architect guy of this new proposal says it will cost less than the current Gabba & Brisbane Live combined

But he also suggests keeping the Gabba, which makes his new Olympic Stadium a White Elephant (as no 2nd Brisbane AFL team is ever going to happen or play there)

I am watching the pre game of the NRL season opening games, what an extremely impressive Stadium(65,000 capacity), awe inspiring, google says US$1.9 Billion to build which is roughly 3 Billion Australian.

We could probably get pretty close to that standard with the 2.5 Billion IOC donation.

The architect guy of this new proposal says it will cost less than the current Gabba & Brisbane Live combined

But he also suggests keeping the Gabba, which makes his new Olympic Stadium a White Elephant (as no 2nd Brisbane AFL team is ever going to happen or play there)
Yes a 2nd AFL team out of Brisbane is multiple decades away at the earliest.

If they did what he suggested the best idea would be to sell off the Gabba for Apartments and park/community space.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back