News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

My view as well. Once he wins, ToR for the authority will be broadened and they’ll likely present vic park and the Gabba and we will get a new stadium that’ll have legacy and be a decent investment.

Labour has just done a horrific job of messaging the Olympics. LNP will do better with the Murdoch media dick riding for them.

Haha I literally just edited in similar thoughts about the Terms of Reference as you posted that.

I think we will be nearly running out of time for a full re-build of the Gabba.
Especially after an election and review again.

I can’t imagine any somewhat legitimate review commissioned by the LNP identifying a Gabba rebuild as a better option than Vic Park.

we need a review into all the reviews

they are leaning too much into the IOC new order of trying to use existing infrastructure - problem being our existing infrastructure is falling apart! if it was melb or syd or perth it wouldnt be an issue as those stadiums are fine

i have a baaaad feeling they will go with Cararra as they could get that to 50-60k with temp seating at northern end and demo of the main broadcast side also

i hope i am wrong and they realise that when it comes to main stadium we cannot go with IOC new order of using existing because they are trash. and its anew vic park one as that provides maximum legacy - another IOC requirement

We need an election, sooner the better.
It seems clear there will be no outcome until someone’s job is safe.

I’ve always been a fan of QLD’s 4 year fixed terms. Now I hate them. Not that Miles would call an early election anyway… he’s riding the gravy train all the way to the end of the line.

So presumably Brisbane will never be getting a new stadium under either Labour or Liberal governments. What an absolute joke. If they can’t do it now with Olympic and Federal money there is no way that they could ever convince the public to do it. Talk about small town thinking. Obviously they want Brisbane to become a complete backwater for sport and entertainment in Australia. Pathetic attitude from the lot of them.

Haha I literally just edited in similar thoughts about the Terms of Reference as you posted that.

The question will be something like ‘what is the best use of the free $3b dollary doos the IOC is giving us to ensure a lasting legacy for Brisbane’

they are leaning too much into the IOC new order of trying to use existing infrastructure - problem being our existing infrastructure is falling apart! if it was melb or syd or perth it wouldnt be an issue as those stadiums are fine

i have a baaaad feeling they will go with Cararra as they could get that to 50-60k with temp seating at northern end and demo of the main broadcast side also

i hope i am wrong and they realise that when it comes to main stadium we cannot go with IOC new order of using existing because they are trash. and its anew vic park one as that provides maximum legacy - another IOC requirement

The transport infrastructure required to get 60k people in and out of Carrara is unfathomable to me.

Not to mention the optics of the Brisbane Olympics being held in another city. They may as well make the old Brisbane Bears koala the Olympic mascot and call the stadium the “Christopher Skase Arena”.

They could build a monorail, to take people from the Nerang train station to the ground.

Monorail, monorail, monorail...

The transport infrastructure required to get 60k people in and out of Carrara is unfathomable to me.

Not to mention the optics of the Brisbane Olympics being held in another city. They may as well make the old Brisbane Bears koala the Olympic mascot and call the stadium the “Christopher Skase Arena”.

They could build a monorail, to take people from the Nerang train station to the ground.

Monorail, monorail, monorail...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So presumably Brisbane will never be getting a new stadium under either Labour or Liberal governments.

Nah don’t panic. Nothing is what it seems in an election year. Everything changes after October.

Have a look at Black Panther’s and my posts on the previous page and Elixuh’s as well. I still think a new stadium is very likely.

Because under your plan you’re only doing it because of a decision to hold the Olympics at QSAC. So it is rightly related to the costs associated with the decision.
I think it's a good idea even without an Olympic stadium honestly (though I'd consider just doing on-road bus lanes if there were no stadium). Buses keep getting caught in Mains Rd traffic south of Kessels Rd, and they shouldn't.

Yep, believe it or not, I can read.
And it is a dedicated bus lane.
I think your beef is with the policing of the dedicated bus lane, not the lane itself.
If you think it's a dedicated bus lane when it can be used by cars, then maybe you only read what you want to read and ignore everything else.

So you’re suggesting that the government that thought a vic park stadium was too ambitious and got scared off the Gabba rebuild because of a primary school P&C, should build a multi-billion dollar first of its kind in Australia elevated busway over a main road?
Yes, they should. Alternatively they could use on-road lanes, but it would probably require a bit of road widening to implement. I think an elevated busway is a better idea because of the ability to bypass traffic lights.

I’m speaking as someone that used to live at the other end of mains road down near calamvale. The 130/140 route is terrible, and it takes 45-60 minutes at the best of times to get into the city. Car would take 30 minutes. There is a reason most people use private transport coming from the peripheries of the city.
Did you drive to the city in peak hour? Because 30 minutes using Mains Rd and the M3 in peak hour traffic is simply not believable.

And wouldn't it be great if we had a way for those buses to bypass congestion and traffic lights so those journey times were shorter?

The fact of the matter is that Brisbane is HUGE for its relatively low population size, which dashes any real hopes of us ever having a public transport system good enough for people to ditch cars.
So should we just give up and build 16 lane highways everywhere? Or should we try to deal with the issue by building enough infrastructure that we could make public transport more viable?

So should we just give up and build 16 lane highways everywhere? Or should we try to deal with the issue by building enough infrastructure that we could make public transport more viable?

“That’s the next government’s problem”

- Grace Grace (probably)

So that's it then, I guess, maybe, who knows ...

‘There can’t be new stadiums’: Crisafulli rejects review’s Victoria Park call​

Brisbane Times​

Queensland LNP leader David Crisafulli has joined Premier Steven Miles in ruling out a new stadium at Victoria Park, as recommended by former Lord Mayor Graham Quirk’s review of 2032 Games venues this week.
But Crisafulli has sought to differentiate his position from the Labor government, criticising Miles’ decision to choose an upgraded Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre as the main arena not suggested by Quirk.
Speaking to reporters at parliament, Crisafulli has outlined some more detail on what he is proposing to do differently, saying he would establish a new independent delivery authority if elected in October which would report back within 100 days.
The group, Crisafulli said, would likely replace the government’s own version to be established by midyear, be named before the election, and given terms of reference to deliver planning options with a focus on road and rail legacies, use existing venues and keep within the current funding levels.
“There can’t be new stadiums, because that’s not what Queenslanders signed up to,” he said.
“For 1000 days, the Labor government has torched the games. I’m asking Queenslanders for 100 days to fix this mess.”

Omg you can’t be serious! Wow….neither of the major political parties actually care for Brisbane’s future at all, what a disgrace.

How many people do we need to form the Olympic party?! Can’t believe what horrible leaders we have here, can we get Anna back???!!

they could build some big green screens around the stadium and enforce media companies project the brisbane skyline on it

Unfortunately Michael O'Brien Catering will retain exclusive virtual food rights, and will be charging 16 dollars by then for a cold virtual hotdog. If you try to sneak your own food onto your couch you get an electric shock from the headset. Same punishment if you try to go to the toilet during an ad-break for Sportsbet.
Chief

Can we get a vomit reaction just for this one?

The most cost effective option appears to be to run a bus lane right through the middle of the primary school.
And then they can play cricket, etc, on it when they're out of school, just like I did as a kid.

They'll just have to be better at dodging than I needed to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back