News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

crisafulli has said he wants legacy infastructure, within current budgets and no new stadium. Sounds like he's trying to come up with a solution that pleases all sides and in doing so is pissing everyone off.

He’s trying to preserve the status quo until after the election

Give the Olympics to Liechtenstein or Nauru, they would do a better job than our disgraceful Government and Opposition.
This is how I feel about it too, to be honest. Labor wimped out under NewsCorp opposition to the Gabba plan, the Vic Park stuff is clearly expensive and not great for transport. Liberals are just playing small-target because they know they're in the box seat for the next election.

Looking into it Sydney just has to reconfigure Accor Stadium for running track. They won't have spend billions on new infrastructure so probably best option

Looking into it Sydney just has to reconfigure Accor Stadium for running track. They won't have spend billions on new infrastructure so probably best option
The baseball stadium hosts an AFL team now, but I don't know if baseball is even in the Games any more.

Still the Victorian Government, was it not?
Yes it was, but they were adamant that Melbourne was not going to be part of their Comm Games bid. It was only ever going to be a regional thing. This was what drove the cost up (because the infrastructure wasn't there), and honestly, Melbourne has outgrown the Commonwealth Games, as has pretty much every Australian capital city.

Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner will continue to push for a stadium at Victoria Park despite Mr Crisafulli ruling out a new facility for the 2032 Games.

Mr Crisafulli yesterday committed to setting up an independent delivery authority should he win the October election. But he said the body would be restricted to recommendations to ensure no new stadiums were proposed.

The stance has left the two senior LNP leaders at odds, with Mr Schrinner this morning declaring any review would have to consider a new facility at Victoria Park following the “very compelling case” put forward in Graham Quirk’s review of Games venues.

“I think any review would have to look at Victoria Park,” Mr Schrinner said ahead of the Brisbane 2032 Organising Committee meeting.

“Ultimately, we do need an oval stadium in Brisbane.

“We’ve got Suncorp Stadium for the moment, that’s getting an upgrade, the Gabba will limp through until the Olympics but what happens after that?

“We need a good quality oval stadium for AFL, cricket (and) for large concerts like Taylor Swift.

“This is an ongoing need of the community and it’s got nothing to do with the Olympics, it’s what our community needs.”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I think any review would have to look at Victoria Park,” Mr Schrinner said ahead of the Brisbane 2032 Organising Committee meeting.

“We’ve got Suncorp Stadium for the moment, that’s getting an upgrade, the Gabba will limp through until the Olympics but what happens after that?

“We need a good quality oval stadium for AFL, cricket (and) for large concerts like Taylor Swift.
Re the bolded, it has me gobsmacked as to why Miles and Crisafulli can't see the obvious staring them in the face, mind blowing incompetence.

This is how I feel about it too, to be honest. Labor wimped out under NewsCorp opposition to the Gabba plan, the Vic Park stuff is clearly expensive and not great for transport. Liberals are just playing small-target because they know they're in the box seat for the next election.
Expensive yes. Not great for transport? It'd have two busway stations nearby, one train station within walking distance and the possibility of building another. Two things that are important when trying to get a lot of people out of an area is to have multiple exit points so they don't all crowd one of them, and to have some distance from the area to the exit points so that queuing can happen in an orderly manner. Having 3-4 different stations within a short walk is excellent in terms of the efficiency of getting people out.

What VP doesn't have is restaurants and bars around. That would require the government to rezone a nearby area, perhaps close to the university, to facilitate that.

Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner will continue to push for a stadium at Victoria Park despite Mr Crisafulli ruling out a new facility for the 2032 Games.
Luckily, in the interview in question, he just said it was "very compelling" as a case. He stopped well short of saying he would "push" for it over the Gabba, and stated that he also had concerns over the parkland impact.

For what it's worth, I support the Gabba being redevloped - it's better located relative to PT (particularly the train), is in the middle of a pretty good pre-game and post-game precinct, it's more central, and doesn't involve the loss of parkland. Apologies to the school on the corner.

Luckily, in the interview in question, he just said it was "very compelling" as a case. He stopped well short of saying he would "push" for it over the Gabba, and stated that he also had concerns over the parkland impact.

For what it's worth, I support the Gabba being redevloped - it's better located relative to PT (particularly the train), is in the middle of a pretty good pre-game and post-game precinct, it's more central, and doesn't involve the loss of parkland. Apologies to the school on the corner.
I think the Gabba re build option is clinically dead, the big issue is where do the Lions and Cricket play in the 4 years it would take to get it done?

Not great for transport? It'd have two busway stations nearby, one train station within walking distance and the possibility of building anothe
Depends, it's about 1km at the absolute shortest to the train, that's for the most proximate stadium location and not including walking around the stadium. That's ok for able-bodied people, but a bit crap for kids and people who aren't so mobile.

Busways are ok, but they're only a cherry on top, as the fight to leave the Gabba as it currently sits will show.

I think the Gabba re build option is clinically dead, the big issue is where do the Lions and Cricket play in the 4 years it would take to get it done?
I don't share that view, because I do think that there will be a change of government at the next election (state, that is) and that provides the opportunity for a re-set. No idea what the Gabba area would actually become, as well, if it was bulldozed.

Mr Crisafulli yesterday committed to setting up an independent delivery authority should he win the October election. But he said the body would be restricted to recommendations to ensure no new stadiums were proposed.

The stance has left the two senior LNP leaders at odds, with Mr Schrinner this morning declaring any review would have to consider a new facility at Victoria Park following the “very compelling case” put forward in Graham Quirk’s review of Games venues.

“This is an ongoing need of the community and it’s got nothing to do with the Olympics, it’s what our community needs.”
Schrinner's about-face annoys me. When VP was first leaked to the media he was against it because he didn't want to lose votes at the election, and now he's trying to shut the gate after the horse has bolted. Crisafulli is now doing the exact same thing ahead of the state election. At odds? No, they're peas in a pod. Neither of them seem to have the courage to say what they really think because they're terrified of losing a vote or two.

Now that Liberal party agree to now new stadium I doubt it's going to happen unfortunately. Unless they pull a typical politician move and backflip once elected.

I don't share that view, because I do think that there will be a change of government at the next election (state, that is) and that provides the opportunity for a re-set. No idea what the Gabba area would actually become, as well, if it was bulldozed.
High rise Apartments and green space.

Schrinner's about-face annoys me. When VP was first leaked to the media he was against it because he didn't want to lose votes at the election

Well to be fair to him, that plan included two other stadiums/arenas plus an athletes village/apartments on the site. Quirk's plan only came out on Monday was much more modest

Depends, it's about 1km at the absolute shortest to the train, that's for the most proximate stadium location and not including walking around the stadium. That's ok for able-bodied people, but a bit crap for kids and people who aren't so mobile.
I get 850m using Google Maps and current walking paths. But this ignores that more direct paths can be built. If they demolish the car park between Herston Rd and Gilchrist Ave and re-route the busway ramp through that site to make it straighter, that allows a straighter path from Exhibition to the stadium and would cut the length of the walk by about 100-150m in my estimation.

Busways are ok, but they're only a cherry on top, as the fight to leave the Gabba as it currently sits will show.
That's because Woolloongabba is only one station. Two stations are twice as good, especially with higher-capacity buses coming in.

Good to know there is someone in Brisbane who can take a long term view of things and who can see the need for proper infrastructure. The two political leaders are incredibly small minded and only concerned with their own self interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back