News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Some company named Tetris Capital

Hope they use the right building blocks

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Report in The Australian that private equity firms lining up to build new Brisbane stadium
Having a new stadium would be great, I just worry if it's in the hands of private equity, they're going to charge the club much more to play there than the government would.

Having a new stadium would be great, I just worry if it's in the hands of private equity, they're going to charge the club much more to play there than the government would.
As long as they don’t initially knock the Gabba down, both AFL and Cricket do have some form of negotiation in place where we can threaten to stay where we are and send them broke.
Especially if both AFL and Cricket work together in negotiations.
It will be once the Gabba is knocked down that they will have us by the balls.

From Brisbane times - picture of the new QSAC stadium
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...o-frills-olympic-stadium-20240711-p5jsvt.html

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

First look at Brisbane’s no-frills Olympic stadium​

By Cameron Atfield

July 23, 2024 — 5.01am

The first image of Brisbane’s planned Olympic stadium – the smallest since Amsterdam 1928 – can now be revealed.
The photocopied image of the Queensland Sports and Athletics Centre, obtained by this masthead through the Right to Information Act, shows a single permanent covered grandstand, with most of the crowd exposed to the elements in uncovered temporary seating.
Unusually for a summer Olympics, Brisbane 2032 will be held in the middle of winter.
An artists’ render of QSAC in Olympics mode, designed by Populous and obtained through the Right to Information Act.

An artists’ render of QSAC in Olympics mode, designed by Populous and obtained through the Right to Information Act.CREDIT:RTI - QUEENSLAND GOVERNMENT
The no-frills QSAC Olympic stadium, designed by architecture firm Populous, would hold just 40,000 spectators and be downsized to 14,000 after the Games. Populous also designed the Suncorp Stadium rebuild in the early 2000s.

QSAC was sensationally chosen as Brisbane’s main Olympic stadium in March, when the planned $2.7 billion rebuild of the Gabba was formally abandoned.
In choosing QSAC, Premier Steven Miles rejected the signature recommendation of the Olympic venues review, which he commissioned, to determine the best site for the main Brisbane 2032 stadium.
That review was led by Graham Quirk, a former Brisbane lord mayor, who recommended a new stadium be built at Victoria Park at an estimated cost of $3.4 billion.
Instead, Miles took Australian Olympic supremo John Coates’ advice and announced QSAC.
The Quirk review estimated the cost of building a mostly temporary Olympic stadium at QSAC at about $1.6 billion, but Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said at least a further $400 million would be required to provide adequate public transport to the venue, which is a 3.1-kilometre walk from the nearest train station, Banoon.

In answers to a federal inquiry into Brisbane’s preparedness to host the Games, the Queensland government confirmed the $2.7 billion that would have been spent on the Gabba rebuild would instead be spent on QSAC and two other venues.
“The Queensland government provided funding which, prior to the [Quirk-led] Sport Venue Review, was to be the $2.7 billion upgrade to the Gabba, which will now support investments to be made in QSAC, Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba,” the state government told the inquiry.
Business leaders have continued to pressure the Miles government – and the David Crisafulli-led opposition – to reconsider their opposition to the Victoria Park proposal.
Local community groups, meanwhile, remain vehemently opposed to a stadium occupying any part of the expansive inner-city green space.

Comment was sought from Infrastructure Minister Grace Grace, who had oversight of Olympic planning.
Tuesday’s date marks eight years until Brisbane 2032 is set to begin, the event scheduled to run July 23 to August 8, 2032.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...o-frills-olympic-stadium-20240711-p5jsvt.html

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

First look at Brisbane’s no-frills Olympic stadium​

By Cameron Atfield

July 23, 2024 — 5.01am

The first image of Brisbane’s planned Olympic stadium – the smallest since Amsterdam 1928 – can now be revealed.
The photocopied image of the Queensland Sports and Athletics Centre, obtained by this masthead through the Right to Information Act, shows a single permanent covered grandstand, with most of the crowd exposed to the elements in uncovered temporary seating.
Unusually for a summer Olympics, Brisbane 2032 will be held in the middle of winter.
An artists’ render of QSAC in Olympics mode, designed by Populous and obtained through the Right to Information Act.

An artists’ render of QSAC in Olympics mode, designed by Populous and obtained through the Right to Information Act.CREDIT:RTI - QUEENSLAND GOVERNMENT
The no-frills QSAC Olympic stadium, designed by architecture firm Populous, would hold just 40,000 spectators and be downsized to 14,000 after the Games. Populous also designed the Suncorp Stadium rebuild in the early 2000s.

QSAC was sensationally chosen as Brisbane’s main Olympic stadium in March, when the planned $2.7 billion rebuild of the Gabba was formally abandoned.
In choosing QSAC, Premier Steven Miles rejected the signature recommendation of the Olympic venues review, which he commissioned, to determine the best site for the main Brisbane 2032 stadium.
That review was led by Graham Quirk, a former Brisbane lord mayor, who recommended a new stadium be built at Victoria Park at an estimated cost of $3.4 billion.
Instead, Miles took Australian Olympic supremo John Coates’ advice and announced QSAC.
The Quirk review estimated the cost of building a mostly temporary Olympic stadium at QSAC at about $1.6 billion, but Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said at least a further $400 million would be required to provide adequate public transport to the venue, which is a 3.1-kilometre walk from the nearest train station, Banoon.

In answers to a federal inquiry into Brisbane’s preparedness to host the Games, the Queensland government confirmed the $2.7 billion that would have been spent on the Gabba rebuild would instead be spent on QSAC and two other venues.
“The Queensland government provided funding which, prior to the [Quirk-led] Sport Venue Review, was to be the $2.7 billion upgrade to the Gabba, which will now support investments to be made in QSAC, Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba,” the state government told the inquiry.
Business leaders have continued to pressure the Miles government – and the David Crisafulli-led opposition – to reconsider their opposition to the Victoria Park proposal.
Local community groups, meanwhile, remain vehemently opposed to a stadium occupying any part of the expansive inner-city green space.

Comment was sought from Infrastructure Minister Grace Grace, who had oversight of Olympic planning.
Tuesday’s date marks eight years until Brisbane 2032 is set to begin, the event scheduled to run July 23 to August 8, 2032.
Isn’t that basically what is already there?
Populous would hate having their name attached to that, I know I would!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets hope the election in October results in the swift ousting of the Steven Miles regime.

Then fingers crossed the next government has some vision re this issue.
See I’d be appalled if Miles was a local Mayor or Manager of the local Aldi let alone Premier of Queensland. The bar is really really really low of all the clowns in politics and Grace Grace; my lord, she’d bugger up my coffee order at the local footy ground canteen.

The nerve of the Premier, honestly. Trying to claim that the LNPs proposal to build a new stadium is less expensive than the Qld ALP plan [temp QSAC, Gabba upgrades, Suncorp upgrades]. Meanwhile under the Qld ALP plan, their own State Dev/Infrastructure Minister admits Brisbane will still a need new oval stadium post-2032 anyway.

The T20 World Cup has started, and Eisenhower Park held 34,024 for the India v Pakistan match.

Instead of spending $1.6 billion on QSAC this is all Brisbane needs for a 1-month Olympic event.
Costs US$30 million, full construction time 6 months. No lighting which Brisbane would need.
QSAC only needs two ends constructed and not much ground preparation.
Corporate stands on the right.
Players dressing rooms, media and corporates on the left that are mostly obscured. Similar size to the right structure.
Both these structures have 3 levels.
Banners hide the ugly scaffolding. Sell advertising for this space.
Not an issue in my opinion as the TV broadcast will focus on the athletics events and the crowd.
They could have temporary roof cover for the first 15 rows at an extra cost and would have a better look.

No concrete used in this project.
Everything gets dismantled when the T20 World Cup is over. I can't find the costing for this part of the project.

View attachment 2015870

View attachment 2015869
Banners covering the outside scaffolding
Not the greatest image but you get the idea

Just to give this post a bump in light of the new QSAC drawings.
I know lots on here said the T20 cricket world cup venue in New York looks bad for a Brisbane Olympic venue to do something similar
It would be an embarrassment to Brisbane etc, etc.

However, it did its job and hosted 34K for the India v Pakistan game image below.
Corporates paid up to US$7500 a ticket in demountable buildings.
A basic ticket was US$380.
“We paid US$2,500 per ticket and no regrets,” he added. “It was a dream come true to see India here.”

Populous was also the architect for New York so i wonder if they were given any alternate options by Labor government.
Probably not just give us something along certain guidelines with a price budget.

So, we could have had something along today's costs of AU$45 million (US $30 million) plus new lighting which was not required at New York.
Plus, the costs of demolishing the old QSAC temporary stand structures and a new athletic track.
Let's say the cost jump way up to $500 million total.

The new drawings just released does look better but is it really worth the EXTRA $1.1 billion.
I am pretty sure they can find a good use for that spare $1.1 billion. Towards a brand-new stadium perhaps.

Lang Park: The opening and closing ceremonies plus football/rugby. That gives the rugby codes a legacy.
QSAC: Athletics + 14K grandstand capacity and track as legacy for athletics. Keeps John Coates sort of happy.
Gabba to host cricket with the $500 million mentioned in improvements. Keeps a home for Lions and cricket during Olympics.
Use the $1.1 billion towards a new oval stadium. This could host cricket and some football code sports
Cricket will be huge money spinner for these Olympics in both media and ticket sales.

The Government could of course look for a partner to build and share costs of a new stadium but unlikely.
This type of arrangement should be done with the vastly over expensive Brisbane Arena. Still in limbo as we speak.

1721702582738.png

1721703851565.png

Something in-between i could handle like grandstands that are up to date and hold the 14k legacy part they require.

The sooner we **** this Labor Government off and build a new Stadium at Hamilton the better.
I brought up Hamilton a few months ago and people didn't like it. However, I still think that Victoria Park is going to be too big a political minefield for even the LNP to touch, and the people hoping Crisafulli will end up picking it are unfortunately building up false hope. I think they'll either stay with QSAC or maybe pick Hamilton as it won't annoy many people.

I brought up Hamilton a few months ago and people didn't like it. However, I still think that Victoria Park is going to be too big a political minefield for even the LNP to touch, and the people hoping Crisafulli will end up picking it are unfortunately building up false hope. I think they'll either stay with QSAC or maybe pick Hamilton as it won't annoy many people.

I think one issue with Hamilton is likely access and spend on infrastructure, including transport, to get it up and going. There are then flow on effects re all that spend + work and use of political capital. Whereas Vic Park can be sold with a better narrative of less spend + green site + use of existing infrastructure (eg public transport linking). Access is probably better as well.

Just to give this post a bump in light of the new QSAC drawings.
I know lots on here said the T20 cricket world cup venue in New York looks bad for a Brisbane Olympic venue to do something similar
It would be an embarrassment to Brisbane etc, etc.

However, it did its job
It didn't do its job. The idea was to keep tournament costs to a tight budget, but the temporary New York stadium was such a failure financially that livid ICC board members have launched a review.

Pouring money into a (supposedly cheap) build with no legacy value all but ensured the ICC (who were asked for an extra $20m at the 11th hour to finish building the crappy stands) would lose money on the US leg.

It would be the easiest place to build a stadium as it is flat and clear land. A simple extension of the current train line in the area would solve the transport issue. It could be turned into a great riverside precinct. It is also close to the Athletes Village

It would be the easiest place to build a stadium as it is flat and clear land. A simple extension of the current train line in the area would solve the transport issue. It could be turned into a great riverside precinct. It is also close to the Athletes Village
It'd do for the medium term (including the Olympics) but after that the state would probably need to dust off the plan for an underground railway line between the CBD and Hamilton.

It didn't do its job. The idea was to keep tournament costs to a tight budget, but the temporary New York stadium was such a failure financially that livid ICC board members have launched a review.

Pouring money into a (supposedly cheap) build with no legacy value all but ensured the ICC (who were asked for an extra $20m at the 11th hour to finish building the crappy stands) would lose money on the US leg.
I really disagree in the bolded.
Sure, the enquiry is looking at additional costs, but it is all the other issues that the IOC are really looking into.
The US$20 million costs blowout was for the 3 US venues being New York, Florida and Dallas.
I am talking about a one venue Brisbane site that would look similar to the proposed $1.6 billion QSAC drawings.
The New York venue was built to be cost neutral and with ticket sales and media money that will end up being the case.

For posters that want to read about the review mentioned by Teen Wolf see some links below.
Every project has a cost blowout these days be it a long or short project.
The original cost of US$30 million was an extremely cheap estimate.
The review is into all the US venues, and it appears to me the bigger issue lies elsewhere in regard to NY and US Cricket.
The ICC were never going to spend US$1 billion dollars on an oval venue in the US. It was all about promoting the game.
Cricket is relative unheard of in the US just like soccer used to be.
The idea was to give the US a taste of top tier cricket, boost tourism in the local area and televise the game to the US and Asian markets as well as the rest of the world.

The review is mostly about "non compliance" and other issues that could have cost them money.

It is learnt that the allocated budget for the US leg of the tournament was around $150 million and it was found that the budget had overshot by a fair distance which was red-flagged by certain influential board members of the global body.

Poor quality of drop-in pitches, ticketing system and the logistical issues added to the ICC's woes. A close look at how various tenders were handed out also raised concerns.

It is understood that the role of some top ICC executives will also be thoroughly looked into by the committee.

The governing body for cricket in the United States, popularly known as USAC, has been formally put on notice and given 12 months to comply with ICC's Associate Membership criteria. As per ICC's Associate Membership Criteria, USAC has fault on two counts 2.2 b (i) governance 2.2b (ii) administrative and executive structure.

It is learnt that USAC has not complied with the norms of the USA Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC), which is mandatory to get recognition as National Governing Body (NGB) to be a part of Los Angeles Games in 2028 where cricket is one of the medal events.

In case, USAC, in its current form, fails to comply with USOPC guidelines, the LA Games organisers would be forced to de-recognise the former and form a new NGB.

"USA Cricket and Cricket Chile have been formally put on notice and have 12 months to rectify their current non-compliance with the ICC Membership Criteria," the release stated.

The Nassau County International stadium was torn down the day after hosting its final match, with discussions believed to be ongoing over third party use of the site.

With USA Cricket mired in internal woes, T20 Incorporated was the entity established in the U.S. to deliver the T20 World Cup and its handling of the event will likely be critiqued in the inquiry.

There will be an emphasis over a late cash injection of $20 million, as first reported by ESPNcricinfo.

Details have also come to light over logistical issues teams had in New York. At late notice, just ahead of the tournament, Ireland's accommodation was shifted from Long Island to Brooklyn.

The round-trip journey from the ground to their hotel took up to four hours, while their hotel in Brooklyn was wedged between fire and police stations.

Players and staff had to endure blaring sirens through the night, while there was no room service or restaurant inside the hotel, forcing them to order Uber Eats.

"There is a particular focus on the much-hyped modular stadium in Long Island and whether there was a cost blowout on a ground that received criticism for its sluggish drop-in pitch with batting proving particularly difficult.

The ground, which hosted eight matches including the money-spinning India-Pakistan clash on June 9, was built in just a few months and pegged at $30 million - as I first reported in April.

"Officials have been confident the investment can be recouped through ticketing and hospitality - mostly through the India-Pakistan fixture which is expected to generate around $15 million at the gate.

The demand has been jaw-dropping
and gleaned through figures from Viagogo, a website that facilitates the resale of tickets to concerts, theatres and sporting events, and StubHub’s international brand outside of North America.

Based on Viagogo’s worldwide data, 15% of all tickets sold for the T20 World Cup were for the India-Pakistan match, with an average ticket price of $1300, significantly higher than the $120 average for all other fixtures combined.

The New York matches have accounted for 56% of all T20 World Cup ticket sales
on Viagogo, with tickets purchased in 62 different countries for the U.S.-based matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back