News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

The US$20 million costs blowout was for the 3 US venues being New York, Florida and Dallas.
2 of them already existed, and remain an asset for cricket. So the problem is obviously the New York stadium which was built for a one-off event and can't help recoup expenses over an extended period of time because it no longer exists.

From Brisbane times - picture of the new QSAC stadium
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...o-frills-olympic-stadium-20240711-p5jsvt.html

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

First look at Brisbane’s no-frills Olympic stadium​

By Cameron Atfield

July 23, 2024 — 5.01am

The first image of Brisbane’s planned Olympic stadium – the smallest since Amsterdam 1928 – can now be revealed.
The photocopied image of the Queensland Sports and Athletics Centre, obtained by this masthead through the Right to Information Act, shows a single permanent covered grandstand, with most of the crowd exposed to the elements in uncovered temporary seating.
Unusually for a summer Olympics, Brisbane 2032 will be held in the middle of winter.
An artists’ render of QSAC in Olympics mode, designed by Populous and obtained through the Right to Information Act.

An artists’ render of QSAC in Olympics mode, designed by Populous and obtained through the Right to Information Act.CREDIT:RTI - QUEENSLAND GOVERNMENT
The no-frills QSAC Olympic stadium, designed by architecture firm Populous, would hold just 40,000 spectators and be downsized to 14,000 after the Games. Populous also designed the Suncorp Stadium rebuild in the early 2000s.

QSAC was sensationally chosen as Brisbane’s main Olympic stadium in March, when the planned $2.7 billion rebuild of the Gabba was formally abandoned.
In choosing QSAC, Premier Steven Miles rejected the signature recommendation of the Olympic venues review, which he commissioned, to determine the best site for the main Brisbane 2032 stadium.
That review was led by Graham Quirk, a former Brisbane lord mayor, who recommended a new stadium be built at Victoria Park at an estimated cost of $3.4 billion.
Instead, Miles took Australian Olympic supremo John Coates’ advice and announced QSAC.
The Quirk review estimated the cost of building a mostly temporary Olympic stadium at QSAC at about $1.6 billion, but Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said at least a further $400 million would be required to provide adequate public transport to the venue, which is a 3.1-kilometre walk from the nearest train station, Banoon.

In answers to a federal inquiry into Brisbane’s preparedness to host the Games, the Queensland government confirmed the $2.7 billion that would have been spent on the Gabba rebuild would instead be spent on QSAC and two other venues.
“The Queensland government provided funding which, prior to the [Quirk-led] Sport Venue Review, was to be the $2.7 billion upgrade to the Gabba, which will now support investments to be made in QSAC, Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba,” the state government told the inquiry.
Business leaders have continued to pressure the Miles government – and the David Crisafulli-led opposition – to reconsider their opposition to the Victoria Park proposal.
Local community groups, meanwhile, remain vehemently opposed to a stadium occupying any part of the expansive inner-city green space.

Comment was sought from Infrastructure Minister Grace Grace, who had oversight of Olympic planning.
Tuesday’s date marks eight years until Brisbane 2032 is set to begin, the event scheduled to run July 23 to August 8, 2032.
That kills the QSAC brain fart right? Surely that kills it.

2 of them already existed, and remain an asset for cricket. So the problem is obviously the New York stadium which was built for a one-off event and can't help recoup expenses over an extended period of time because it no longer exists.
Thats your assumption on bolded.
I wish you would supply some proof of the statements you are making.
Not just taking parts of an article that highlights some issue but not the full story.
A quick google search advises an additional $8.4 million spent in Florida for the World cup. Completed in Feb 2024.
$20 million was spent on the Texas venue starting construction in April 2022 so obviously for this world cup.
Both venues most likely borrowed the money, so a debt carried forward till it is repaid.
Those figures could also have blown out but certainly form part of the total $20 million blowout mentioned.

Can you supply a link to where it has been reported that the NY venue actually lost money.
I doubt the IOC have the final figures on these separate venues yet anyhow.

Being over budget does not mean it lost money.
For the final result you have to take into consideration:
All NY venue costs less all revenue including ticket sales, broadcast & venue sponsorship revenue, merchandise and catering.

NY does not get the long-term use of future revenue because they did not buy the land so no debt.
The deal was to return it to the local authority (or whoever owned the land).
So, no upfront costs to purchase the land a win/win i recon for both parties. No borrowing costs either.

Just like the Brisbane games where far too many people and politicians only look at the total costs not the revenue it brings in. Then you have the tourist dollar that filters through the community.

A quick google search advises an additional $8.4 million spent in Florida for the World cup. Completed in Feb 2024.
$20 million was spent on the Texas venue starting construction in April 2022 so obviously for this world cup.
Both venues most likely borrowed the money, so a debt carried forward till it is repaid.
Those figures could also have blown out but certainly form part of the total $20 million blowout mentioned.
The stadium in Texas was getting $20m spent on it by private investors for Major League Cricket, regardless of the World Cup. Neither it or the Florida ground were still being upgraded or built weeks and days out from the tournament, unlike New York which was behind schedule and the only venue still needing work done when the late request for an extra $20m was made to the ICC. Might require more than a quick Google search to know this stuff.

And the biggest problem is the NY venue still wasn't up to scratch, with nowhere near enough money spent on getting the player facilities and pitches at an international standard.

Guaranteed this is what will happen if the QSAC option is undertaken. It'll cost far more than expected, and it'll still be a disaster (particularly from a public transport perspective--expect gold medal races to be run and won in front of half-empty stands because of traffic chaos).

The stadium in Texas was getting $20m spent on it by private investors for Major League Cricket, regardless of the World Cup. Neither it or the Florida ground were still being upgraded or built weeks and days out from the tournament, unlike New York which was behind schedule and the only venue still needing work done when the late request for an extra $20m was made to the ICC. Might require more than a quick Google search to know this stuff.

And the biggest problem is the NY venue still wasn't up to scratch, with nowhere near enough money spent on getting the player facilities and pitches at an international standard.

Guaranteed this is what will happen if the QSAC option is undertaken. It'll cost far more than expected, and it'll still be a disaster (particularly from a public transport perspective--expect gold medal races to be run and won in front of half-empty stands because of traffic chaos).
"Might require more than a quick Google search to know this stuff."
At least i gave posters something to read showing what was happening.
And yet you still don't provide anything to show your understanding of what or when things occurred.
You once again are getting away from your original assertion that the biggest issue in the review was the $20 million blowout.
Hopefully Brisbane's biggest issue is a $20 million blowout on one venue.
And yet you are now quoting all the other issues which i was saying was the main reason for the review anyhow not the $20 million blowout.

You are getting way past what i have been suggesting in regard to proposed costs of $1.6 billion for QSAC.
Read my earlier posts again.
I am suggesting it can be done for way less than that figure. Around the $500 million mark and have a $1 billion to spend elsewhere.

Do i want Athletics at QSAC: No but i doubt the LNP will change that part now seeing Coats and the IOC have agreed.

People can jump up and down all they like but the Athletics have to be somewhere, and it won't be at the Gabba lucky for Lions and Cricket fans or Lang Park.
That leaves a new stadium that no political party says they will build.

"Might require more than a quick Google search to know this stuff."
At least i gave posters something to read showing what was happening.
And yet you still don't provide anything to show your understanding of what or when things occurred.
You once again are getting away from your original assertion that the biggest issue in the review was the $20 million blowout.
Hopefully Brisbane's biggest issue is a $20 million blowout on one venue.
And yet you are now quoting all the other issues which i was saying was the main reason for the review anyhow not the $20 million blowout.

You are getting way past what i have been suggesting in regard to proposed costs of $1.6 billion for QSAC.
Read my earlier posts again.
I am suggesting it can be done for way less than that figure. Around the $500 million mark and have a $1 billion to spend elsewhere.

Do i want Athletics at QSAC: No but i doubt the LNP will change that part now seeing Coats and the IOC have agreed.

People can jump up and down all they like but the Athletics have to be somewhere, and it won't be at the Gabba lucky for Lions and Cricket fans or Lang Park.
That leaves a new stadium that no political party says they will build.
You gave posters a heart-warming summary of the New York "stadium" which excluded any mention of its associated budgetary issues and widespread criticisms of its ability to meet international cricket standards.

Everybody knows it was not a venue worthy of a world class sporting event, and the same will be true of this proposed QSAC farce. Nothing to be gained by ranting, raving, and emphasising random words.

You gave posters a heart-warming summary of the New York "stadium" which excluded any mention of its associated budgetary issues and widespread criticisms of its ability to meet international cricket standards.

Everybody knows it was not a venue worthy of a world class sporting event, and the same will be true of this proposed QSAC farce. Nothing to be gained by ranting, raving, and emphasising random words.
Once again you provide nothing to back up your assumptions.
All my links included what you said i "excluded any mention of its associated budgetary issues and widespread criticisms of its ability to meet international cricket standards." so that is just not correct on your part.

I also provided links stating the ICC were overjoyed with the result of the NY venue.
Also, links stating all the main reasons they are having a review.
Profit or loss for the venue yet to be assessed. I suspect a profit.

Breaking into the US market is one of the hardest things to do for a very minority sport in the US.
You can't put a $ figure on what the US games will mean to crickets future in the US.

NY ended up being not great facilities for the players and the drop in pitches kept scores below expectations.
The scores may have been low but that made most games reasonably close.
The main seeds i believe did not drop a game except one of India or Pakastan had to win or lose that match.
So, no damage done to the eventual outcome.
The players should just suck it up for the betterment of the game.
I am sure the Indian and Pakastan governing bodies told the players just that before the tournament began.
It was the big push from India mainly that cricket was finally accepted to be included in the LA Olympic Games.
Promoting the game in the US was what the exercise was really about for the ICC.
The fans attending seem to not care sitting mostly outside without cover and paying big $ to do so.

Comparing another sport.
You have to take your chances when you can to try and get a minority sport great exposure with minimal costs.
Soccer in the US was pretty muck nonexistent until the 1994 World Cup was played in the country.
That was not done on the cheap of course. But it was the exposure that was more important.

6. Soccer

Popularity: 21.6%
Governing Body: MLS
Notable Athletes: Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Christian Pulisic, Michael Bradley

Known elsewhere as football, soccer is not only becoming one of the most popular sports in USA but also ranking among the top 5 most watched sports in the US. Despite its global dominance, soccer's viewership peaked in 2017 as the 3rd most-watched sport with 24 million US viewers (after basketball and football). One of the reasons that soccer has become one of the most popular sports in USA, it’s because the 1994 World Cup was hosted at Sanford Stadium, which is one of the biggest stadiums in the USA. Another reason for its popularity is the US Women's National Team winning the first-ever Women's World Cup! Now, Major League Soccer (MLS), founded in 1996, showcases the best American men's professional players.

My last reply to you on the New York venue. Your right to reply of course.

I am in the very minority that thinks spending $500 million on QSAC to have a cheap looking athletic venue is viable.
Not sure why i am but that appears to be the case.
Spend the money on a new Olympic quality track and quality lighting.
A 14k legacy grandstand which is what the IOC (Coates) wants.
The remainder as cheap and as safe temporary seating, catering etc.
Better than spending $1.6 billion and ending up with what has just been proposed that also looks cheap to the world.

We all know Labor has stuffed the major Olympic venues up big time. One $2.5 billion venue still in limbo and rarely talked about.
If the LNP get into power, we won't be any wiser until their 100-day review being around January 2025.
So, on this thread we can only propose thoughts on what has been put forward like the recent QSAC drawings.
We can also propose new stadium sites even though both parties have ruled that out.

<Removed jab at poster>
All my links included what you said
You didn't provide any links or information about the drawbacks to the NY cricket venue until prompted.

Before that, you were just insulting our intelligence by telling us about the virtues of temporary grandstand seating in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brisbane Times:
Under questioning from Deputy Opposition Leader Jarrod Bleijie on Wednesday, Grace said the $1.6 billion pricetag, which remained untested, did not include the temporary seating.
The stadium is being designed to have only 14,000 permanent seats.
“The IOC pays for the temporary seating,” Grace said, adding that the International Olympic Committee had a “significant budget” for temporary overlay at venues.
“They don’t want to leave stadiums that then need to be maintained.”
On current cost estimates, QSAC would come in at about $115,000 per seat. For comparison, the 60,000-seat Optus Stadium in Perth, completed in 2017 for $1.6 billion, cost about $26,650 a seat.

$1.6b for 14,000 permanent seats at QSAC. This is so bloody laughable.

Last edited:
$1.6b for 14K permanent seat at QSAC. This is so bloody laughable.
The bit that gets me about this shemozzle is that nothing is being done about the need for Brisbane to have a long term oval stadium for AFL and Cricket, the Gabba is quickly nearing the end of it's life.

WTF are they going to do just spend Billions on band aids for the Gabba until there is no choice but to build another one? :rolleyes:

For gods sake show some common sense and vision and use the Olympic once in a Century opportunity to build Brisbane a world class Stadium for the next 40-50 years.

I suppose they're just going with what Grace Grace dropped in an interview a while ago ie. the need for a new oval stadium will be another governments problem down the road, absolute dunderheads these politicians.

I suppose they're just going with what Grace Grace dropped in an interview a while ago ie. the need for a new oval stadium will be another governments problem down the road, absolute dunderheads these politicians.

They're actively ignoring the problem they know exists. In fact, they're publicly lying to the public that their plan is cheaper for Queenslanders than the, believed, LNP plan to just build a new stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I want to work for the Government now...

Not only was the $1 billion figure for the Gabba pulled out of their arses it turns out the $1.6b QSAC figure was pulled out of someone elses...

Seriously... how is there no accountability for such bullshit being sprouted. Look at the train wreck it causes down the line. Not only does it create false expectations, the inevitable blow outs seems ridiculous when you undercut the original figures to suit your narrative.

This is where the idea that Governments waste money so easily comes from. Stop talking drivel and actually back your rhetoric with facts you dimwits.

Last edited:
More! If you believe the Brisbane Times today 👇

Once again Miles brings up "costs of living" giving the impression they are going to save money in some form or another.
His other quote from a while ago.
"We can't justify building a new stadium with the costs of living being the number 1 issue in the electorate"

This is a blatant lie as all promised and agreed upon state and federal funding will be spent one way or another by either party that forms government in October.

So I want to work for the Government now...

Not only was the $1 billion figure for the Gabba pulled out of their arses it turns out the $1.6b QSAC figure was pulled out of someone elses...

Seriously... how is there no accountability for such bullshit being sprouted. Look at the train wreck it causes down the line. Not only does it create false expectations, the inevitable blow outs seems ridiculous when you undercut the original figures to suit your narrative.

This is where the idea that Governments waste money so easily comes from. Stop talking drivel and actually back your rhetoric with facts you dimwits.
I'm sure this nonsense comes from the ministerial and executive level. If an ordinary public servant gave advice like that, I imagine they would have been reprimanded or even sacked. It's only those at the top who ever escape accountability.

From the Brisbane Olympics website, absolute amateur hour. Suncorp is apparently the biggest stadium in Australia.

View attachment 2057803
Athletics LOL! The track will have to do a figure 8 of some sort, or maybe any track event over the new 60 meter dash event can finish in Caxton Street which would also be the venue for Brisbane marquee games moments ie. bogan beer swilling and thong throwing medal rounds. :rolleyes: :mad:

Athletics LOL! The track will have to do a figure 8 of some sort, or maybe any track event over the new 60 meter dash event can finish in Caxton Street which would also be the venue for Brisbane marquee games moments ie. bogan beer swilling and thong throwing medal rounds. :rolleyes: :mad:
Largest in Australia too!

(Sixth by my count.)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back