News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again Miles brings up "costs of living" giving the impression they are going to save money in some form or another.
His other quote from a while ago.
"We can't justify building a new stadium with the costs of living being the number 1 issue in the electorate"

This is a blatant lie as all promised and agreed upon state and federal funding will be spent one way or another by either party that forms government in October.
Funny how the government can't do jack sh#t with over priced fuel which has been one of the reasons for inflation and hardship. Increased Transport costs drives all prices up.
They are useless , cause they bend over for foreign trade.
This is a joke .

Well folks, looks like I just became a medal chance! 💪
Get in line , I won Gold ($100) in the Australia Day thong throwing competition at the Tinnie.
Couple of years ago now, those were the days . ( probably 10)
The following year silver in the esky races.
You know what , My liver is happy I am now retired.
Go for it Grasshopper .
By the way do you spin the thong vertically or horizontal frizby style.
Or are you a beer swiller? ( respect)

Get in line , I won Gold ($100) in the Australia Day thong throwing competition at the Tinnie.
Couple of years ago now, those were the days . ( probably 10)
The following year silver in the esky races.
You know what , My liver is happy I am now retired.
Go for it Grasshopper .
By the way do you spin the thong vertically or horizontal frizby style.
Or are you a beer swiller? ( respect)
Actually I like the sound of these Esky races. As long as they are DOWN Caxton St, not up it!

I wonder what John Coates threatened Steven Miles with to get him to ignore the Kirk review recommendations.
A possibility after reading this article dated today.
Good luck getting Coates to change his mind in regard to QSAC

John Coates, chairman of the IOC's legal commission, said the host city contract confirming Salt Lake's right to stage the Games had been altered to allow the IOC to take them away if US authorities did not respect the "supreme authority" of WADA.

Speaking in Paris ahead of the opening of the Games on Friday, Coates said it was "a must, and I stress the word must" for the US authorities to respect WADA.

"The IOC has reinforced the current language of the Olympic host contract in order to protect the integrity of the international anti-doping system and to allow the IOC to terminate -- to terminate -- the Olympic host contract in cases where the supreme authority of the World Anti-Doping Agency... is not fully respected or if the application of the World Anti-Doping code is hindered or undermined," Coates said.

The warning stunned seasoned observers of the IOC and sports politics.

I'm not as anti-QSAC as some here (I'd rather Vic Park happened however I don't think QSAC is a complete disaster), but I did chuckle at this one.

1000010676.jpg

Unsure who the original artist is as I found it on a meme page. Will credit when I find out.

EDIT - credit to Pete Lambie - insta: @choppychopkins

Last edited:
John Coates term was to finish in December 2024 but has been extended as "honorary member" at the Paris meeting.
What pull "honorary members" have is not clear but still would have an influence.
Coates has been a member since 2001.

The Session also elected as Honorary Members, as of 1 January 2025, Mr John Coates (Australia, Independent Individual, year of birth: 1950, elected in 2001) and Mr Uğur Erdener (Türkiye, Independent Individual, year of birth: 1950, elected in 2008), whose terms of office are coming to an end on 31 December.
.......................................................................................................

The Board till December 2024
1722218316128.png

An IOC Honorary Member (which all IOC members become when they hit the IOC retirement age) means they can still remain on the gravy train and attend Olympics etc, but have no voting rights

Coates position within the IOC itself is considerably weakened now, although he has recently just been appointed Brisbane 2032 Vice President for life

Still got a say, but probably not much now as the younger IOC member generation will try and fill his void

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Brisbane games is better than some of the reports re France.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/olymp...s/news-story/030fdb9d6f00bb624333b16f91c09c73

Go woke. Go choke.
That’s the message coming from some sections inside the Olympics Village with athletes registering their concerns about vegan diets and environmental projects that Paris 2024 officials are determined to have succeed.

Athletes from around the world have been complaining about the food options available in the Village, as well as the cardboard beds in their rooms and a transport system that has failed them and left plenty stranded while trying to reach training venues and official Games locations.

“10 girls, two bathrooms. #oly#olympicvillage,”0-year-old tennis phenom wrote in her TikTok video.

Several Olympians have shared their displeasure with the Paris Olympic Village including the cheap materials the Olympic Village used for furniture, including the “anti-sex” cardboard mattresses.

Meanwhile, the food options available — widely reported to be dominated by a vegan diet — are so bad that even the British team has brought its own chef.

It is easy to dismiss the concerns raised by the athletes, but Aussie swimming great James Magnussen has now spoken out to reveal there is substance to the complaints from athletes that food in the village can hamper their performance and wellbeing.

“They had a charter that said 60 per cent of food in the village had to be vegan-friendly and the day before the opening ceremony they ran out of meat and dairy options in the village because they hadn’t anticipated so many athletes would be choosing the meat and dairy options over the vegan-friendly ones.
“They must have watched the Netflix doco Game Changers and assumed everyone was the same. But let me tell you, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Roger Federer - none of those guys are on a vegan diet.

By Brisbane the athletes will be eating bugs, crickets and tofu burgers
Basically whatever they can scavenge from the bush around the athletes village.

Hopefully Brisbane games is better than some of the reports re France.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/olymp...s/news-story/030fdb9d6f00bb624333b16f91c09c73

Go woke. Go choke.
That’s the message coming from some sections inside the Olympics Village with athletes registering their concerns about vegan diets and environmental projects that Paris 2024 officials are determined to have succeed.

Athletes from around the world have been complaining about the food options available in the Village, as well as the cardboard beds in their rooms and a transport system that has failed them and left plenty stranded while trying to reach training venues and official Games locations.

“10 girls, two bathrooms. #oly#olympicvillage,”0-year-old tennis phenom wrote in her TikTok video.

Several Olympians have shared their displeasure with the Paris Olympic Village including the cheap materials the Olympic Village used for furniture, including the “anti-sex” cardboard mattresses.

Meanwhile, the food options available — widely reported to be dominated by a vegan diet — are so bad that even the British team has brought its own chef.

It is easy to dismiss the concerns raised by the athletes, but Aussie swimming great James Magnussen has now spoken out to reveal there is substance to the complaints from athletes that food in the village can hamper their performance and wellbeing.

“They had a charter that said 60 per cent of food in the village had to be vegan-friendly and the day before the opening ceremony they ran out of meat and dairy options in the village because they hadn’t anticipated so many athletes would be choosing the meat and dairy options over the vegan-friendly ones.
“They must have watched the Netflix doco Game Changers and assumed everyone was the same. But let me tell you, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Roger Federer - none of those guys are on a vegan diet.

Magnussen would know all about how to achieve elite performance: https://www.foxsports.com.au/olympi...t/news-story/dc6f5806e2b153b0622de1a10d0b654a

Olympic silver medallist James Magnussen has quickly become the poster boy for the proposed Enhanced Games doping competition and it’s not doing much for his reputation.

Magnussen, 33, was one of world swimming’s top freestylers at the height of his career and has three world championship gold medals and three Olympic medals among his collection.

The man known as “The Missile” also had his fair share of controversy, including a notorious Stilnox bonding episode and allegations of harassment at the 2012 London Games.

Controversy surrounding the New South Welshman went to a whole new level in February this year when Magnussen became the first recognised athlete to publicly declare his intention to compete in the Enhanced Games, a competition that actively encourages doping.

To date he is still the only athlete to make such a declaration and it was met with derision at a sports summit in Birmingham this week, as The Australian reported.

“My honest opinion, if you are going to partake in that activity, you shouldn’t be involved in any sport ever again,” World Aquatics chief Brent Nowicki said.

Magnussen would know all about how to achieve elite performance: https://www.foxsports.com.au/olympi...t/news-story/dc6f5806e2b153b0622de1a10d0b654a
IMO sound of mind adults should be able to do their body anything they want to, including ingest or inject what they want.

That does not mean I am for doping in sport but if it's legal in any particular event being held lawfully... go for it.

No slur should be inferred re Magnussen's previous performances in elite world level competition as swimming is rigorously drug tested.

IMO sound of mind adults should be able to do their body anything they want to, including ingest or inject what they want.

That does not mean I am for doping in sport but if it's legal in any particular event being held lawfully... go for it.

No slur should be inferred re Magnussen's previous performances in elite world level competition as swimming is rigorously drug tested.
Hmmm that's pretty naïve (not speaking about Magnussen in particular).

I wasn't slurring his previous performances (though Magnussen's behaviour at london 2012 is worth condemning). But I'm going to take his claims about the diet of the olympic village with a grain of salt.

Shayna Jack would disagree.

Fully admit I am naïve in some matters.
It's more the ones who aren't getting caught. It's a bit like how doping techniques have shifted from using at the Olympics to using for preparation and training aided by weak national anti-doping bodies (Jamaica's athletics drug scandals from 10 years back is an example).

I will admit I cut my teeth learning about anti-doping processes from professional cycling back in the day so I tend to be overly cynical by nature about the effective nature of anti-doping procedures generally.

I wasn't slurring his previous performances (though Magnussen's behaviour at london 2012 is worth condemning). But I'm going to take his claims about the diet of the olympic village with a grain of salt.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/olympi...s/news-story/ca7e58f92b76594c2acbf8b5a10c673a

Last week, British media reported the nation’s Olympic team brought in an extra chef after complaining about a shortage of the right food at the Village and the quality of what’s on offer.

Andy Anson, the British Olympic Association chief executive, told The Times the Village “is not adequate” and that “a dramatic improvement” was needed.

Some British competitors have moved elsewhere in the city to get fed and collect packed meals to take back for dinner.

“There are not enough of certain foods; eggs, chicken, certain carbohydrates,” Anson explained.

“And then there is the quality of the food, with raw meat being served to athletes.”

Anson called the food problem “the biggest issue at the moment”
and said the added chef was to cater for the extra demand at their so-called performance lodge.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back