News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we going to use the covid prison that ended up housing no one as athlete village
Is that the one built out at Toowoomba? I feel like athletics at QSAC and athletes at Toowoomba really gives visitors the real SEQ experience. Maybe shooting up at Ipswich, and swimming in the Brisbane River.

Paris wanted to clean up the Seine pollution wise, so the Olympics was a good time to spend the money being AU$2.3billion.
It was reported 6 months ago that the planned triathlon swim leg on the Seine was more likely to be cancelled, moved or reduced to just the 2 events should enough rain fall prior to the event.
It looks like this may come true unless they put the athlete's health at risk which would be a worse headline.

Paris wanted to clean up the Seine pollution wise, so the Olympics was a good time to spend the money being AU$2.3billion.
It was reported 6 months ago that the planned triathlon swim leg on the Seine was more likely to be cancelled, moved or reduced to just the 2 events should enough rain fall prior to the event.
Seems so odd they didn't have a backup location for the triathlon. Even the marathon swimming has a backup option if the Sienne is too polluted

The good news is the Brisbane river is clean enough to hold the swimming. The bad news is it is projected that 30% of participants will be mauled by bull sharks.

The good news is the Brisbane river is clean enough to hold the swimming. The bad news is it is projected that 30% of participants will be mauled by bull sharks.
We used to ski from the bulimba reach to the Gateway bridge.
About 23 odd years ago.
Before we knew about Bull sharks even existed.
I remember dropping off down the Bridge end , the next guy in goes yeah just go up a bit away from the Raptus fish co op.
Pussy.
We always thought we'd make the news , one of us getting chomped or finding a dead body .
Arh we survived.

Athletics LOL! The track will have to do a figure 8 of some sort, or maybe any track event over the new 60 meter dash event can finish in Caxton Street which would also be the venue for Brisbane marquee games moments ie. bogan beer swilling and thong throwing medal rounds. :rolleyes: :mad:
They just need to get Jim Wilson the construction engineer

On another note.
How do they get to hold the surfing in Tahiti , not even close 12,000 miles away which is multiply x 1.6 =19200 km away.
I always thought the French surf on the French coast , wrong time of year ?.
So no dramas , we can do the canoeing down in Penrith.

On another note.
How do they get to hold the surfing in Tahiti , not even close 12,000 miles away which is multiply x 1.6 =19200 km away.
The surfers get to stay on a cruise ship with no cardboard beds.
I assume not as many vegan dishes offered either like in the Olympic village which apparently run out of meat, chicken etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note.

Already been answered about Tahiti but yeah wrong time of the year. The surfing options in France are consistent in winter but would have been lucky to have good surfing conditions at this time of the year.

It looks like this may come true unless they put the athlete's health at risk which would be a worse headline.
They've announced the Mens Triathlon will be proceeding in the Seine today lol

https://www.foxsports.com.au/olympi...s/news-story/ca7e58f92b76594c2acbf8b5a10c673a

Last week, British media reported the nation’s Olympic team brought in an extra chef after complaining about a shortage of the right food at the Village and the quality of what’s on offer.

Andy Anson, the British Olympic Association chief executive, told The Times the Village “is not adequate” and that “a dramatic improvement” was needed.

Some British competitors have moved elsewhere in the city to get fed and collect packed meals to take back for dinner.

“There are not enough of certain foods; eggs, chicken, certain carbohydrates,” Anson explained.

“And then there is the quality of the food, with raw meat being served to athletes.”

Anson called the food problem “the biggest issue at the moment”
and said the added chef was to cater for the extra demand at their so-called performance lodge.

It's mind boggling that they can get the food so wrong - it is so important in preparation and recovery during events. To blindly make decisions regarding what's available without consulting sports nutritionalists is incompetent at best, negligent at worst.

And this level athlete panics about breaking a fingernail before the event. A sudden and dramatic food change will be kryptonite for some. Think motty and his rice before the game times 10, 000.

Rituals and consistency are the lifeblood of athletes.

We used to ski from the bulimba reach to the Gateway bridge.
About 23 odd years ago.
Before we knew about Bull sharks even existed.
I remember dropping off down the Bridge end , the next guy in goes yeah just go up a bit away from the Raptus fish co op.
Pussy.
We always thought we'd make the news , one of us getting chomped or finding a dead body .
Arh we survived.

The good old days when we were safe cause we just killed the sharks.

I did the swim around Julian rocks back then, felt safe. No way would I do that now.

Last edited:
It's mind boggling that they can get the food so wrong - it is so important in preparation and recovery during events. To blindly make decisions regarding what's available without consulting sports nutritionalists is incompetent at best, negligent at worst.

And this level athlete panics about breaking a fingernail before the event. A sudden and dramatic food change will be kryptonite for some. Think motty and his rice before the game times 10, 000.

Rituals and consistency are the lifeblood of athletes.
You forgot Morris and his Maccas :D

The good sold days when we were safe cause we just killed the sharks.

I did the swim around Julian rocks back then, felt safe. No way would I do that now.
Are you serious. No way I'd swim around there.
That is a claim to fame in my book , respect.
I hated surfing at Tallows which is on the Southside of the Lighthouse, bloody sharky.
One guy got killed there back in the eighties.
Plus it was a snappy left hand break and I was hopeless at lefties.
Funny how I thought we were safer in the Brisbane river skiing than surfing at Byron's back beaches.
Got that wrong.
Why didn't I buy that old shack on the beach , got that wrong too.

The good old days when we were safe cause we just killed the sharks.

I did plenty of scuba diving around SE Qld down to Coffs Harbour in the 1990s including at Byron. This post reminds me of a man that was on his honeymoon in 1993 that was taken by great white on a safety stop in front of his wife. Never forgot the stories for the people there.

Almost seems too far fetched to be true; however, here is an article discussing the incident: https://www.9news.com.au/9stories/w...es-today/e78c9c0e-4397-4c57-a790-aba516999383

Last edited:
$120 million doesn't go far. Some of these things could almost be supporting infrastructure for a future stadium

• An all-ages, all-abilities ‘Adventurescape’ playground incorporating natural elements like sticks, vegetation and rocks for nature play;
  • A two-kilometre “Parkway Loop” boulevard linking the existing land bridge over the Inner City Bypass and the Brisbane Metro and busway station;
  • A new active transport bridge at the entrance of the park;
  • Road and intersection upgrades to improve safety and accessibility in the park;
  • New administration and operations buildings;
  • Wayfinding signs and public art;
  • Additional car parking facilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back