News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

You say that, but Dan Andrews was consistently bold and consistently won elections. Even had the courage to admit he was wrong to bid for the Commonwealth Games and canned it.
I guess the caveat is it also depends what the opposition is. When margins are close they're not going to run a risk.

That's a fair statement. I personally think the LNP will absolutely sh*t it in at this election and needn't be worried, but Crisafulli isn't a bold politician.
I avoid politics whenever I can, but my guess is there's a few marginal seats in Brisbane they need to pick up and don't want to rock the boat any more than necessary.

Going on the polls the LNP will be elected in October.
People hold governments responsible for things largely out of their control. Nothing new there though.
Whoever wins will largely be at the mercy of world events.
If the LNP get in they will inherit inflation most likely under control and most likely interest rates falling.
As all politicians do, they will claim it happened on their watch.
Anything bad happening like big falls in coal prices and they will claim world events and out of our control which would be correct.
Presently Labor 52 seats, LNP 34 and Independents 7

Regarding the Olympics they are both as bad as each other.
I noticed on the news last night the QSAC validation is not expected until late in 2024. So, around a 9-month process.
After the 100-day review ending Feb 2025 if Victoria Park is considered, no validation report expected until November 2025.
Then a decision to be made then call for tenders etc.
Thats 6 years to get it built by Nov 2031.
Seeing we are three years in, and nothing sorted i don't think that timeframe will work.

Riverfire on tomorrow night.

Sunday i expect the media to come out and say:
This should form part of the opening ceremony for 2032.
It would allow the Brisbane public and tourists without opening ceremony tickets to be part of the event.
I like this idea as seeing 500K along the river with fireworks/laser drones would be great viewing worldwide.
We already have the logistics in place to run the event.
By 2032 i expect more laser drone displays doing amazing things.

Just listened to the David Crisafulli interview from a few days ago, from my reading of his not too subtle hint if they win the election QSAC is dead in the water .... thank god there is a politician with some sense out there.

It will be a disaster for the Olympics, Lions and Cricket Australia if Labor and Steven Miles win the election.

Just listened to the David Crisafulli interview from a few days ago, from my reading of his not too subtle hint if they win the election QSAC is dead in the water .... thank god there is a politician with some sense out there.

It will be a disaster for the Olympics, Lions and Cricket Australia if Labor and Steven Miles win the election.

MM, he still stated no new stadium as late as yesterday.
When asked he just replied in two words "it's no".

He will have to do a big backflip if his review recommends Victoria Park or even the Gabba.
Queenslanders will get 4 years of broken promises talk from Labor if he builds a new stadium somewhere.
Sure, he can say it was a recommendation from an independent panel.
But that won't stop Labor in opposition to remind the public he can't be trusted.
Just imagine if the project blew out to $4,000,000,000 plus.

He should have stuck to "the LNP will wait till the 100-day review has been completed. a decision will be made then".
That way he had lots of wriggle room to justify their decisions.

MM, he still stated no new stadium as late as yesterday.
When asked he just replied in two words "it's no".

He will have to do a big backflip if his review recommends Victoria Park or even the Gabba.
Queenslanders will get 4 years of broken promises talk from Labor if he builds a new stadium somewhere.
Sure, he can say it was a recommendation from an independent panel.
But that won't stop Labor in opposition to remind the public he can't be trusted.
Just imagine if the project blew out to $4,000,000,000 plus.

He should have stuck to "the LNP will wait till the 100-day review has been completed. a decision will be made then".
That way he had lots of wriggle room to justify their decisions.
Which begs the question what his plan will even be if elected. Reading between the lines he may prefer a GABBA rebuild :eek:

So what happens if he wins and continues to say no new stadium? A Gabba rebuild or will they just scrap the Olympics altogether?

Which begs the question what his plan will even be if elected. Reading between the lines he may prefer a GABBA rebuild :eek:
I doubt he knows himself.
He is an opposition leader who has spent 18 months on the news each evening picking fault with Labor no matter how small the issue. A very smart long-time strategy. Hardly any policies released though.
He now knows the polls have him as next Premier.

I think he is trying to work out how to actually run the state and get a few decent ministers.
This will have occupied a lot of his time along with planning to win the election.
I doubt he is up with everything involved with the Olympics except all the Gabba problems that forced a QSAC decision.
Someone in his ministry will end up with Olympics attached to their role and that will be their problem for 4 years.
He knows QSAC is on the nose with everyone bar Coates who convinced Miles against the review recommendations.
So, he gets on the no QSAC train as no votes lost in doing that.

Kinda ridiculous if he's saying no to QSAC and ruling out a new stadium. He's probably just being gutless, but what's the alternative, Carrara?
Rebuild the oldest part of the Gabba (north and west - about 55% of the stands) in stages so Lions and cricket can keep playing there. Keep the south/east stands. 40k - 45k for the Olympics, 45k - 50k after. $1.5B should do it.

So what happens if he wins and continues to say no new stadium? A Gabba rebuild or will they just scrap the Olympics altogether?
They won't scrap the Olympics. The funding is already being budgeted for and easily done over the long lead in period.
Carrara is the only option for athletics with no new stadium in my opinion.
But that will create all sorts of other issues.
Athletes would have to travel from Hamilton Athletics Village to Carrara as no room for them in the Gold Coast Village.
The IOC won't allow that to happen.

So, we are back to where the hell is Crisafulli going to put athletics.
As Miles said yesterday if he is against QSAC he must be for Victoria Park. However, he said no new stadium just like Miles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuild the oldest part of the Gabba (north and west - about 55% of the stands) in stages so Lions and cricket can keep playing there. Keep the south/east stands. 40k - 45k for the Olympics, 45k - 50k after. $1.5B should do it.
Quirk covered the western stand, but his costs did include structural upgrades which i assume are needed.
That was $2 billion and would do nothing to increase seat numbers in the future. Less in fact.

Finding 1.12 - Partial redevelopment of the Gabba will not resolve the operational inefficiencies and moreover will restrict future development of the Gabba (such as seating increases above 40,000). The development of a new western stand was explored along with structural upgrades to the remaining stadium, with total project cost estimated at approximately $2 billion. Any upgrade will have an impact on the number of seats available during the works.

Last edited:
Quirk review said that would cost $2b and still have accessibility issues.

The Gabba is a nightmare site and not big enough for a new stadium without significant infrastructure spend for traffic (probably tunnels). It is a terrible site for a stadium with the way that area has developed over time. Would cost a fortune. Best bet is a greenfield site.

The Gabba is a nightmare site and not big enough for a new stadium without significant infrastructure spend for traffic (probably tunnels). It is a terrible site for a stadium with the way that area has developed over time. Would cost a fortune. Best bet is a greenfield site.
NO Gabba and the hospitality areas around it die. Some slow, some fast.

No new stadium (until November)

The thought of having the main event on the Gold Coast is stupid. Brisbane bid for this, the Athletics is the heart of the games and needs to be in the city.
Turns out Christopher Skase is actually alive, well and pulling all the strings at the IOC.

NO Gabba and the hospitality areas around it die. Some slow, some fast.

Not if you demolish it and build a **** ton of apartments there. All connected via the train station.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back