News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Crisafulli is not talking rebuild
He is talking refurbishment

Not today he wasn't:

Qld election 2024: David Crisafulli dodges stadium question

The Gabba is firming as the LNP’s stadium of choice for the Brisbane 2032 Olympics, but Opposition Leader David Crisafulli has continued to withhold his Olympic plans from Queenslanders.

The LNP leader was asked by journalists nine times whether he would accept private funding for the Brisbane Olympic and Paralympic Games stadium, and a total 15 questions about stadium options – all of which he refused to give a straight answer to.

While he repeatedly stated an LNP government would not build a new stadium, he conceded that knocking down and rebuilding the Gabba was still on the table.

he conceded that knocking down and rebuilding the Gabba was still on the table.

the simpsons helen GIF

Geographically, rebuilding the Gabba is better for me however i honestly think it is not the correct option. I really do struggle with people when it’s pretty obvious what is the right thing to do. Vic Park just seems like common sense to me, if you want greenery plant an abundance of trees, bush etc around the grounds. I remember awahile ago there was an idea of doing a ’green highway’ connecting the south of the city to the north where people can walk etc. There are plenty of ways to add greenery to a city. Start with King Square for starters.

Thats encouraging. Well sort of in that he may change his thinking again after the election.
Seeing he did change his mind from one day to the next.
That's assuming the CM interpreted his comment correctly.
He is handling this issue just as bad as Labor now that journalist are pushing for answers.

Hope he runs the state better than this issue. Also, doubtful.

But Greg Swann will be pulling his hair out if either option happens.
Way more hair loss if it is a rebuild
That means Carrara, and Carrara is needed for T20 cricket
Or back to the crap Exhibition small, odd oval. Once again, more costs for Government as Lions and Qld cricket stated they have no money for a temporary move

Seeing he did change his mind from one day to the next.
That's assuming the CM interpreted his comment correctly.
He is handling this issue just as bad as Labor now that journalist are pushing for answers.
Here's the full interaction, at a press conference, which they included in the article:

David Crisafulli on his Olympics ‘plan’
Q: Would you consider taking money from private investors for a host venue, a stadium?
A: We’ve mapped out our plan for stadiums.
Q: So would you be open to taking money from private investors?
A: We’ve spoken about what our focus is. Our focus is on generational infrastructure – road and rail ... making sure that there’s accessibility.
Q: But what about taking money from private investors for a new stadium: yes or no?
A: Our focus is not on stadiums. Our focus is on generational infrastructure. We are going to give people world-class venues. It won’t be QSAC, but we’ve spoken about no new stadiums.
Q: But if you can build a new stadium within the existing funding envelope, if you have some money from the private sector, will you do that?
A: Our focus is to make sure that Queenslanders get back to what it was always about.
Q: You haven’t answered the question. If it comes in within the existing funding envelope, will you do it?
A: Our focus is generational infrastructure. We are going to create venues that are world class. But we have said we’re not embarking on new stadiums.
Q: If private investment is there and if it leads to generational infrastructure, are you open to that idea for a new stadium?
A: We’ve said we’re not embarking on new stadiums. We’re talking about making sure that stadiums are world-class, not like the one that the government’s pushing with QSAC, which is temporary and poorly located for what it needs to be. And we’ve spoken about generational infrastructure – our focus.”
Q: What are your conditions though, for new stadiums?
A: As it is, no new stadiums.
Q: Do you consider upgrading the Gabba, or rebuilding the Gabba as a new stadium?
A: That’s part of the mix, I’ve said that from day one.
Q: It sounds like you’ll be doing the Gabba, then?
A: Let’s look at the review.
Q: It’s the only thing that fits the bill though?
A: Let’s just have a look at what the review says.

Last edited:
Didn't expect anything different really. He will need to make his position on this cannot be attacked so close to election, so even if he let out any hint of being open to new stadium (pending result), Labor would latch on and attack all they can in the coming days.

Not saying this'll necessarily happen, but if their plan was Victoria Park all along (reading their comments focusing on "infrastructure" and "legacy"), they can do it without looking like breaking an election promise:

1. Win the election
2. Appoint the review panel for their 100 day process, conveniently leave out the "no new stadium" part in terms of reference (can easily justify as considering all options for find best value for money solution)
3. When Gabba redevelopment and Vic Park options are presented side by side, easy to opt for the latter stating the bleeding obvious re similarity in cost, no displacement of Gabba tenants, legacy impact, activating inner city green space...etc)

All they would need to do is put all options side by side and compare/contrast properly, like any competent person would when trying to do an analysis.

He's already ruled out QSAC. Doubt he'll really go down the Gabba re-development option, considering that is what Anastasia lost her job to.

Good Lord what a frustrating read that is. Weirdly it actually makes me think they might 'u-turn' post election now
Starting to smell like there's some private money being pulled together in the background, so they can say that they (as in the to-be-government) won't be building a new stadium, but that doesn't mean a priate consortium won't. Would be very LNP of them. Also would explain why that particular journo was hammering the point so hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to smell like there's some private money being pulled together in the background, so they can say that they (as in the to-be-government) won't be building a new stadium, but that doesn't mean a priate consortium won't. Would be very LNP of them. Also would explain why that particular journo was hammering the point so hard.
This is my thinking too.
He continually said ‘we’ won’t be building a new Stadium, as in the Government won’t be building a new stadium, but a Private Consortium might.

Here's the full interaction, at a press conference, which they included in the article:
Thanks for the full interaction from one interview.
Leaves me none the wiser really.
He is only getting hammered on one issue and his response is rubbish.

On a few of his answers.

A: We’ve spoken about what our focus is. Our focus is on generational infrastructure road and rail ... making sure that there’s accessibility.

He repeats this a few times with a slightly different slant.
Labor already has plans in place for this, some have already started.
"Rail and road" infrastructure have nothing to do with the Brisbane Olympics $7 billion State/Commonwealth funding agreement.
No money, zilch in the budget for either. Rail and road infostructure are always separate to the actual Olympics funding.
Including road & rail would gobble up the $7 billion quick smart. There would be nothing left for any venue.

Crisafullis response is different but similar to Miles insinuation money will go into cost-of-living relief.
"can't justify building a new stadium when people are doing it tough because of the cost of living"

Q: Do you consider upgrading the Gabba, or rebuilding the Gabba as a new stadium?
A: That’s part of the mix, I’ve said that from day one.

So, he is considering both options. neither good for Lions or cricket

There has been rumours here and there over the last few months about a private/public partnership to build one

A: We’ve spoken about what our focus is. Our focus is on generational infrastructure road and rail ... making sure that there’s accessibility.
When you think of the Private Bid for the New Stadium at Hamilton.
What does his answer above make you think? 🤔

As part of those plans it was mentioned that Private companies will fund the development, the Government was to make sure the Public Transport was sufficient.

I don't have the same confidence some posters have in the LNP changing their mind and okay a new stadium after the election.
That depends a bit on whether he sticks by his recent comment that "no new stadium to be considered" will be included in the terms of reference.
I still can't confirm that comment that i heard though. Hopefully he did not say that, or a new stadium is stuffed.

On the private consortium. Was that what Swan and cricket put to them recently.
It believe it was a mix of private and government.
Either way if private is involved i don't think i will like the price of season membership.

LNP don’t want to do anything to ruin them winning the election. That’s why they’re too scared to make the call.
The thing is in my opinion he is now coming across as someone that can't make a decision. Struggling with responses.
He has been badly advised. He should have stuck to his decision on waiting for the 100-day review and not deviated.
State nothing is in or out until the review comes back. But he didn't.

All he has really done over the last 18 months, is come on all the news channels at 6pm and bag Labor on something.
Often it was on some big issues but more time than not just minor stuff.
Doing that regularly puts doubt into people's mind that Labor is hopeless at everything.
It was a very good long-time strategy.
Now he has to be front and center as the likely new Premier, has to actually answer questions and give some policy.

Harder questions should be coming his way in the coming weeks on the economy and other big issues.
How will he handle that. We will have to wait and see with 19 days to go.

The thing is in my opinion he is now coming across as someone that can't make a decision. Struggling with responses.
He has been badly advised. He should have stuck to his decision on waiting for the 100-day review and not deviated.
State nothing is in or out until the review comes back. But he didn't.

All he has really done over the last 18 months, is come on all the news channels at 6pm and bag Labor on something.
Often it was on some big issues but more time than not just minor stuff.
Doing that regularly puts doubt into people's mind that Labor is hopeless at everything.
It was a very good long-time strategy.
Now he has to be front and center as the likely new Premier, has to actually answer questions and give some policy.

Harder questions should be coming his way in the coming weeks on the economy and other big issues.
How will he handle that. We will have to wait and see with 19 days to go.

Tbh the LNP in Queensland is a mess. They’ve got nobody with leadership capabilities. We desperately need them to take over for a few terms but they’re borderline unelectable.

SOS Campbell Newman ffs lol.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Issue is Miles is about as likeable as a punch in the face as well.

It’s a very sad state of affairs. Options are both completely stuffed. A real confident leader would have the confidence to build a stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back