News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

The Federal Government has already tipped in some money to the 2032 Olympics. For Vic Park option I would be surprised if they were to do it again on the relatively short notice required and being an election year. The Olympics are fast becoming a large thorn in AusPol (not that most wouldn't already know this).

I'm not sure the 6k seat upgrade on the GABBA would provide the 'lasting legacy'.

I wonder if there is any possibility VicPark option be co-funded via private capital. The China Contruction Bank Corp Stadium has an interesting ring to it...

That lovely bit of Chinese soft power would kick the Feds/QLD into gear surely?
Mate I'm happy for it to be called the Vladimir Putin Kim Jong Un Donald Trump Stadium if it gets built in Victoria Park and holds 70,000 screaming Brisbane Lions supporters.

Article 4.16pm today

He said he had spoken with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese about the Olympics in a Sunday morning phone call.

“I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the Prime Minister about that and we intend to speak directly to the (federal) sports minister (Anika Wells), who is a Queenslander, and I reckon we can get a good outcome.”
I hope this is to do with my suggestion of changing the joint funding model with the Commonwealth Government.
I also included suggestions and figures on how to get a new stadium if the funding model is changed.
I got a reasonably good reply from Tim Mander who will be in the new cabinet, and still hold his Olympic portfolio.
He stated he would ensure my suggestions would be forwarded to the 100-day review panel.

I also sent figures to Anika Wells after Miles changed his mind earlier this year suggesting the QSAC $1.6 billion venue upgrade.
Her reply was that they already have an agreement and there is no indication that the then Premier Miles wants to change that.

Article 4.16pm today

He said he had spoken with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese about the Olympics in a Sunday morning phone call.

“I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the Prime Minister about that and we intend to speak directly to the (federal) sports minister (Anika Wells), who is a Queenslander, and I reckon we can get a good outcome.”
I hope this is to do with my suggestion of changing the joint funding model with the Commonwealth Government.
I also included suggestions and figures on how to get a new stadium if the funding model is changed.
I got a reasonably good reply from Tim Mander who will be in the new cabinet, and still hold his Olympic portfolio.
He stated he would ensure my suggestions would be forwarded to the 100-day review panel.

I also sent figures to Anika Wells after Miles changed his mind earlier this year suggesting the QSAC $1.6 billion venue upgrade.
Her reply was that they already have an agreement and there is no indication that the then Premier Miles wants to change that.
We can't go back to this whole rebuilding the Gabba plan. It's almost as mental as the Nathan plan. It's a round peg in a square hole as it is, and even if the final product was amazing, the best case scenario is still an absolute mess for both cricket and our AFL team for the next decade.

I'm not sure the 6k seat upgrade on the GABBA would provide the 'lasting legacy'.

I wonder if there is any possibility VicPark option be co-funded via private capital.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some private consortiums being lined up in the background.

BTW, what capacity of the Gabba are you using?

We can't go back to this whole rebuilding the Gabba plan. It's almost as mental as the Nathan plan. It's a round peg in a square hole as it is, and even if the final product was amazing, the best case scenario is still an absolute mess for both cricket and our AFL team for the next decade.
Not quite as bad perhaps, but not the best option for us either. I guess it comes down to whether Crisafulli wants to wear the negative press from Vic Park since he's backed himself into a corner with his promise of no new stadium.

It is possible he might be thinking that way. Let's just hope that it is just one of his suggestions in the "terms of reference".
He already has the costings from the Quirk review, so not sure that would be what he was discussing with the PM.

It was Morrison that was adamant the Commonwealth would not be burdened with likely costs blowouts of a Gabba rebuild.
Morrison ended up being right, but he attached the Commonwealth to a worse venue the Brisbane Arena.
Talk about costs blowouts. The validation report on that was over $4 billion.
Admittedly, the Commonwealth commitment is only $2.5 billion towards that venue. Any excess to be paid for by the State.
As we know a new site close by is awaiting another validation report.
There is a petition going around to stop this project adjacent to Roma Street Parklands. See link below.

However, i am hoping Tim Mander has talked to Crisafulli about my suggestions. Possibly not, but you never know.
As you mentioned any Gabba rebuild or partial rebuild will be a major issue for AFL & Cricket

I have spoken to a couple of people fairly connected recently who are expecting Vic Park to happen. It sounded like the ALP would’ve ended up building Vic Park too.

Not going to go full Leemas on it as they were just bbq conversations but I’m hopeful the people are as in-the-know as I think they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back