Gaff - does he stay or go? Let me set the scene..

Remove this Banner Ad

A 2 year deal for gaff isn't the craziest thing given his circumstances to be honest.

It gives him 2 more crack at a flag while the team is clearly in a premiership window, and will allow him to assess personal circumstances in two years time before he signs his final contract.

Also heard his dad only got released from hospital yesterday, would make sense why he has probably delayed his decision until after the season regardless
Kelly signed for 2 years after the million dollar offers, its not unreasonable.

Kelly was 22 ...

And Kelly has a handshake deal to go to North after.

The Gaff and Kelly deals are linked from what I've been led to believe. Connors manages both. Kelly was coming last year by all accounts (he himself says as much) then Connors said stay for two years, win a flag at GWS, if you go to North now they'll be shit and you'll get tagged every week.

But now with us back on the way up, IF we get Gaff to go along with Polec and Hall, Kelly comes into quite a nice team going places. And still gets his $1.2m a year over 8 or 9.

Look for him to announce a trade within a week of the grand final.

Free Agency officially begins the Friday following the grand final and I believe ends the following Monday?

So you're right, he has to make a decision pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gone with that quote
Gaff said:
"I honestly haven't made my decision," Gaff said.

"This week there's just too much going on. But once the season finishes, I'll definitely be making my decision pretty quickly."
Too much going on this week (our Grand Final)
Hasn't made a decision but will pretty quickly after the GF... Gone.
Now, onto the AFL tweaking free agency compensation...
That or we somehow master a trade.
Damn free agency. :(
Pick 20+ hurts when Port likely get way better for Polec (and more than they paid Bris for him)

Gone with that quote

Too much going on this week (our Grand Final)
Hasn't made a decision but will pretty quickly after the GF... Gone.
Now, onto the AFL tweaking free agency compensation...
That or we somehow master a trade.
Damn free agency. :(
Pick 20+ hurts when Port likely get way better for Polec (and more than they paid Bris for him)

Yep, is bullshit that Polec will "cost" more.

But you guys will soon benefit from FA.

Imagine you got Coniglio and GWS only get pick 18 or so as compo

I would love Coniglio but he is set to go to a Vic club. P Cripps would be our boys.

Yep, if you got Cripps FA Carlton would rightly feel uber jibbed with one first rounder back.

Simmo has two he won at North.

I'm hoping he can get one as a coach for you guys too.

Don't believe this myth that Victorians will all be supporting Collingwood. I'll be going for you blokes, and would go for you against any other Vic team.
Agreed.

I'm on the Simmo train - love Simmo. Also never want to see FIGJAM win a premiership after he signed with North then reneged and went to Collingwood to "win flags".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought this up a month or 2 or go

And seems like the club's are taking back the power and going gangbusters on it I the last few weeks.

If a player does not commit to a new contract with a year left, the club trades him out.

It's the only way to not get f***** over by the rubbish compo, unless you are down the bottom of the ladder.

How can deals of two different players be linked?

See my post. Same manager. Not linked as in will involve trades between the three clubs. But as in Kelly waited two yewrs for us to be less shit than folks thought we would be this year and next. Gaff coming is part of that.

They might both be very close to someone who would know this stuff...

I'll let you join the dots...

No I meant the actual contracts - you would have to pay 1.2M each. In 2 years time you could be paying around 4M a year just for 4 players (Gaff*, Kelly, Polec and Ben Brown) on your list.

*Assuming Gaff leaves.

Last edited:
I bought this up a month or 2 or go

And seems like the club's are taking back the power and going gangbusters on it I the last few weeks.

If a player does not commit to a new contract with a year left, the club trades him out.

It's the only way to not get f***** over by the rubbish compo, unless you are down the bottom of the ladder.
That's fair - we would of got a better draft pick if Gaff was traded last year than FA compo pick this year (absolutely rubbish). Hope WC don't do get caught out again (with FA) and trade the likely candidates that might leave via FA. If they don't sign before the previous year draft commencement - trade 'em.:)

No I meant the actual contracts - you would have to pay 1.2M each. In 2 years time you could be paying around 4M a year just for 4 players (Gaff*, Kelly, Polec and Ben Brown) on your list.

*Assuming Gaff leaves.

Both Gaff and Polec heavily front ended. Polec a million next year is what has gone around, and Gaff probably 2 million.

Salary cap goes up as well and our other guns are all on long term deals that were front ended for last few years.

Goldy our highest paid player and his deal ends next year and he won't command the same money again.

We've been planning for this for a while.

Both Gaff and Polec heavily front ended. Polec a million next year is what has gone around, and Gaff probably 2 million.

Salary cap goes up as well and our other guns are all on long term deals that were front ended for last few years.

Goldy our highest paid player and his deal ends next year and he won't command the same money again.

We've been planning for this for a while.

To be fair you have been planning for a big signing for several years now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaff - does he stay or go? Let me set the scene..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back