Game-plan 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

bluepride

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Over the last month, Carlton supporters have been posting about our new forward line and how we will kick goals i personally believe that Ratts as well as the coaching staff got our gameplan wrong on a number of occasions in 2009 and unless we change it i dont think we can seriously challenge the good teams come September. Teams like Adelaide , we fall into their laps every time and over use the footy and put numbers behind the ball which just doesnt work and both times in 2009 we got our arses kick.

I started this thread in the hope that people who are little more intelligent in this area of footy could help shed some light on this issue. I see teams like Essendon playing at an 'risk and run' kind of style' which i believe suits their list but why cant we do that. I see to often every game that one area of our team isnt playing good and the other is playing well below par and i believe this has partly to do with our unsettled gameplan. We have the players who are still developing but we need a gameplay that will suit us because at the moment i dont know what our gameplan is and to often we get caught out against the better teams.

Nearly every team has a signature gameplan and Ratts now over the preseason along with the coaching staff needs to construct a new gameplan that should be innovative and suits our style.

Last year we changed to playing just the two talls in the forward line and focussing on defensive pressure with the smalls.

I wouldn't be surprised this year if, without Fevola, we go back to playing three talls. From what Ericpascoe was saying one of these talls will most likely be a resting ruckman.

Perhaps this is why they're looking at Russell Robertson, although I think Andrew Walker could do what he does and provide much better pressure.

Last year we changed to playing just the two talls in the forward line and focussing on defensive pressure with the smalls.

I wouldn't be surprised this year if, without Fevola, we go back to playing three talls. From what Ericpascoe was saying one of these talls will most likely be a resting ruckman.

Perhaps this is why they're looking at Russell Robertson, although I think Andrew Walker could do what he does and provide much better pressure.

Agreed, not a fan of the old russ pops (even though alot do want him to play for us). Keep it young

lots of run from half back, lots of linking up thru the midfield, fast responsive fwd line like a basketball fast break or say Arsenal's one touch attacks

Any teams gameplan should be broadly divided into three areas that work closely together, this would be how i foresee Carlton's plan in 2010

Forward:
Will have to take a completly form without Fev. Probably should play three talls because there won't be two defenders drawn to Fevola. To this end whoever plays CHF (Waite, Henderson, O'Halpin) will need to be very mobile roaming around the top of the 50 pushing up the ground and drawing a key defender out to create space. FF should play out of the square and lead into a pocket because the opposition will undoubtedly crowd space in front. Third tall needs to play as alternative lead out from the opposite pocket either down the ground or wide. This should stretch the defence and make the medium forwards and midfielders running in considerably more important. Unless we plan to bring in a big pack marker in Cloke our small forwards will play at the drop of one-on-one's and as individual targets. Very multi-faceted attack that pushes and spreads defences and leads to a very broad spread of scorers.

Midfield
Carlton has a very highly rated midfield unit, but until the acquisition of Mclean, Hadley was effectivly a lone hand as a quality extractor forcing Judd to play inside. Grigg who has been played in this role hasn't proven himself there quite yet, but with the quality outside run of Gibbs and Murphy and presumerably Judd again this should be a potent unit for years. The developing ruckmen in Kreuzer and Hampson have shown a lot of athleticism and promise and yet to debut as a Blue Warnock promising to be dominant. Defensive play shall also be interesting as the midfielders where criticised for lack of pressure in 2009. Expect to see a greater emphasis on tackling and 1%ers IMO

Backline
Expect Jamison to hold down the key FB post next year and to take the best leading forward as he is our best stopper. Bower or Waite may take the second tall while Thornton drops off his man to double team or to mark loose balls and feed it out to the run of Russell, Armfield and Bower. This should be aimed at capitalising on weaker forwards and playing off them with our running defenders.

I honestly think that Kruezer will be a permeant forward for, who can share with some of the ruck duty with warnock when called upon.

Hopefully they'll stop the ridiculous overuse of the ball and stop chipping it around for no real gain or purpose.

Kickouts are still not sorted and a real worry. To be honest the backline is B grade.

Our game plan should concentrate on fast breaks and catching the other teams (most of whom are slower) flat footed.

I have to agree the kick in worries me, Johnson with his supposed silky skills was found wanting this year and i am not sure on our KPB's kicking skills or decision making under pressure. I actually can't think of a player off the top of my head i would have in our best 22 who can take this responsibility

I have come to a realisation that we are going to struggle heaps in the next couple of years. Our midfield is biggest positive when I look at the team, but our backline and forward are lacking 2 or 3 superstars.

Our forward was one dimensional for many seasons, and there was a reason for that. Our next best key forward at the moment is Sentanta, and that says something. Hope Hendo turns out to be THE player, but i don't expect much from him next year.

Our defence improved 10 folds last year, but it’s lacking two things.

a) big bodied stopper, like a Nathan Bock

b) a person who can deliver lace out and hit the target 90% of the time, like a Gilbee. Opposition teams never had that headache of tagging one of defenders. This is where I think Tapscott would come in handy.

This post isn't really looking at game plan more so to show that we have a variety of forward options that will be factored in.

Teams have shown that you can win premierships with a mediocre forward line (West Coast, Geelong).

What we are building towards is something both those teams had, namely midfielders/half forward flanks that produce a lot of goals.

The following will have to kick goals for us to make top four next year (which is what I'm hoping for).

Marc Murphy (30 this year so no reason not to get 20+)
Bryce Gibbs (definitely capable)
Chris Judd
Andrew Walker (playing in a half forward role)
Eddie Betts
Kade Simpson

Then we play a number of Waite, Kreuzer, O'hAilpin down there. If between them they can kick 120 goals then we should be ok.

Not expecting much from Henderson next year think he'll really start to make an impact in a couple of years. Long term prospect and we must be patient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be hard to have a solid game plan untill we play a few games and see how the players get on without trying to hit one target etc.

I hold my breath when ever we kick in. We turn over far too much ball there.

I think we may see a few "styles" tried untill something clicks. It may be a rough first half of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game-plan 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back