GameDay - Geelong v North Melbourne NAB Cup Rnd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat down with some family in Adelaide to watch the game all hoping Speight would play.... alas he didn't and we were a little dissapointed but we all still enjoyed the game cheered loud and were very happy with the result.

All the young blokes played a ripper of a game and to hold their nerve as geelong came charging back is a very good sign!

Goodluck for the rest of the NAB cup campaign!

Congrats to North, deserved it today, wanted it more.

I am of the view you guys will be an Elite Contender from 2012-2013 onwards, such is the team you are building, I saw the genesis of that today.

You have a list that can now take you forward, Liam Anthony is going to be something special. :thumbsu:

I am such a wimp...I ran out of the room in the final quarter when it was NM 82, Cat 81...I have been dreading it all night... I JUST FOUND OUT THE SCORE WOO HOO!!!
I feel like the woman who sat next to meg Ryan in "When Harry met Sally"- I'll have what she's having!
Oh boy!
I will be much braver next week

Very impressed by Liam Anthony today. Thought when I saw that article about him copping a tag he was getting a bit ahead of himself considering some of the players in your midfield. But he is a running machine!

Speaking of running machines where was Batsanic?? Shattered I wanted to see him at AFL level and wanted him at pick 19 if Griffiths wasn't there.

Roo's looked very good the only thing I think that was dissapointing was Hansen. He did keep Hawkins quite but for a guy who went pick 3 in his fourth season I was expecting him to do a bit more in regards to attacking play. 9 possies just does not cut it for a top three pick... Too harsh or fair call?

Roo's looked very good the only thing I think that was dissapointing was Hansen. He did keep Hawkins quite but for a guy who went pick 3 in his fourth season I was expecting him to do a bit more in regards to attacking play. 9 possies just does not cut it for a top three pick... Too harsh or fair call?

He's a big unit who only has 30 games under his belt, and is only now starting to put a bit of bulk on.

Playing in defense, he was leading our club best and fairest last year before getting injured, and then returned to play the remainder of the season at CHF, which probably wasn't ideal.

He's tracking fine, and his stats support that, but there's others around here that will disagree.

Very impressed by Liam Anthony today. Thought when I saw that article about him copping a tag he was getting a bit ahead of himself considering some of the players in your midfield. But he is a running machine!

Speaking of running machines where was Batsanic?? Shattered I wanted to see him at AFL level and wanted him at pick 19 if Griffiths wasn't there.

I think harsh is something you can ask yourself for continuing to follow Richmond. Seriously, Hansen is worth pick 3. He'll be a ROCK of DEFIANCE in our back-line this season. :thumbsu:

Fair call, IMHO. I don't want him to be satisfied with making a contribution, putting in a reasonable game, etc. I want and expect to see him dominate games, but I'm yet to be convinced that he feels the same way.

At the game most impressive for me was Goldstein, Greenwood, Anthony and Warren. Not sure on Co Jones and Hale. Great atmosphere too. Good times.

The win itself was not as big a positive for me as was the way we got it.

The work done by Bon to improve our disposal by hand under pressure from a swarming opposition pack was clearly evident today - i've never seen our clearances from a contested situation so sharp & swift.

The single-minded intent to run hard & spread after any release from congestion was also obvious. Most encouragingly, the way we held our nerve & continued to trust the new game plan in the face of a top-shelf onslaught was bloody inspiring!

I forgot to get on Milky for the Rising Star, hope he's still 81/1 tomorrow! (that makes him 20/1 to place.....criminal not to get on!)

A positive to take out of Pratty's poor game is the likelihood of White getting a game next round increases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call, IMHO. I don't want him to be satisfied with making a contribution, putting in a reasonable game, etc. I want and expect to see him dominate games, but I'm yet to be convinced that he feels the same way.

He's paying attention in class... he'll be alright!
150210_12_Large.jpg

Just went and read the entire geelong game day thread. 90% of them claiming the only reason we won was because we had 4 weeks more preseason... Thats also 4 more weeks to acrue fatigue.

Other 10% said its because they only had 17 of their 22 premiership players...

Granted there were some very decent supporters who admitted to being outplayed and gave props to both sides where due, but some of the childish comments I read were pretty poor.

Know im not one to talk, ive made some pretty ridiculous statements but it is annoying when a team has a couple of good years and a fraction of the supporters become conceited flogs.

Comments such as "How much higher is Norths normal match day intensity? 5%, what about ours? About 60%" and "Their players had to play at over 110% intencity to beat us playing at 20%".

Both teams played well, we got smashed in that 3rd quarter spurt and the cats looked dangerous in the first 1/4 but some spirited performances at the end of the second, start of the third and throughout the 4th means we came out just ahead. Nothing to get big headed about every team wins (except maybe Melbourne in the last few years, but theyre headed up) but being gracious in defeat is a skill that every supporter should have.

To be honest i cant even remember why i wrote this now, so with that ill [/rant]

Well played, folks. Thought we might get thumped there for a while.

Plenty to like about the young Roos, seem to have injected a bit of pace into the list over the summer. :thumbsu:

Can't begrudge you guys a bit of success given the crap you've had to put up with about relocation and the like. And if you can make the top 8 and keep a non-Victorian side out of the finals, the more the better.

Gives us a few things to think about and work on in the leadup to the season proper.

Keep it up, Shinboners. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Nice comments there but you finished it badly.........2010 onwards shinboners is a dirty word.:D

Great game guys. I really think you guys will do well this year and it looks like you are a few steps ahead of Richmond in development.

Well done. :thumbsu:

Putting aside list comparisons, I think the difference is that Hardwick has more work to do in undoing Wallace's shite than Brad Scott has to do in undoing Laidley's shite.

The win itself was not as big a positive for me as was the way we got it.

The work done by Bon to improve our disposal by hand under pressure from a swarming opposition pack was clearly evident today - i've never seen our clearances from a contested situation so sharp & swift.

The single-minded intent to run hard & spread after any release from congestion was also obvious. Most encouragingly, the way we held our nerve & continued to trust the new game plan in the face of a top-shelf onslaught was bloody inspiring!

I forgot to get on Milky for the Rising Star, hope he's still 81/1 tomorrow! (that makes him 20/1 to place.....criminal not to get on!)

A positive to take out of Pratty's poor game is the likelihood of White getting a game next round increases.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about Warren. His odds will no doubt come in to around $30 which is a bummer coz I havn't got on him yet, but I like the odds of Jack Ziebell also at $9.00. Better get on this week.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about Warren. His odds will no doubt come in to around $30 which is a bummer coz I havn't got on him yet, but I like the odds of Jack Ziebell also at $9.00. Better get on this week.

Big threat is that NicNat only has to fart and knobs like Robert Walls and Gerard Healy will likely soil their under garments.

Other 10% said its because they only had 17 of their 22 premiership players...

We had all of ONE premiership players. Don't sweat it DP. They're a great side and will contend once more. We all know that.

We had 16 or so future premiership players playing, and that's all that matters here.

We had all of ONE premiership players. Don't sweat it DP. They're a great side and will contend once more. We all know that.

We had 16 or so future premiership players playing, and that's all that matters here.

Well one of their premiership heroes retired and another one is an alledged drug mule so cry me a river, they won't be back soon.

The number of soft 50's given to both sides today was an absolute disgarce.

There must have been about 6 given in the second qtr.

Easily the most I've ever seen in a game.

Credit where it's due though, the second half where play was let go was a much better performance from the Green Weasels. (That was a pisser and kudos to the dude who felt moved enough to acrtually yell that one out.)

In the end the team with more desire won.

By my reckoning we were one of only 4 teams not to roll out any of our 09 draftees this round. (WCE, Adelaide & Collingwood being the others). I take this as a good sign, its not like there hasn't been plenty of excitement about them. I'm sure we will see one or two in the next few weeks but come the regular season we've just got plenty of options to be looking at that we might not see any till later on in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

GameDay - Geelong v North Melbourne NAB Cup Rnd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back