Gameday has arrived!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Maric was very ordinary and whenever Smack went on the ball our clearances from the centre improved. His second efforts put Ivan to shame. So who gets dropped when Kurt returns?
Neither. well, Maric might get dropped if Sauce is fit, but Smack will not be playing no.1 ruck. also, Smack was fantastic tonight and won't be dropped. Tippett in for injured Porpz.

Just watching some highlights. We seem never to have a crumber. There was a couple of occasions we did but not many. Everyone seemed to be a flyer and the hawks had numbers on the ground. Where is this going to come from? Surely that would/should be dangers/martin/smiths job.

That's where Porplyzia's injury hurt us a fair bit tonight.

Had to laugh at the segue from One Week At A Time plug into our song.
"...on One Week At A Time on monday, where no doubt the guys will be talking about this comeback from the Crows." Ha! Would be the first time we got more than a one minute mention on that show.

Nah, it'll be a four-minute segment. Two dedicated to hardnut Rory Sloane who will now be the subject of Victorian clubs wanting to bring him home and two minutes dedicated to big Shaun McKernan who'll be in the sights of North Melbourne who want him to play out his career at his big brother's club.

Then they'll call David Mackay Van Berlo and cut to an ad break.

Stevens was fine in the second half. It was the first half where he was disappointing. I just worry about his decision-making more than anything else. I don't think it's that he kicks "hospital balls" as much as he takes that extra second to make a decision that allows an opposition player extra time to cover a loose man. In that first half he often put our defenders under enormous pressure by either making the wrong decision, or waiting too long to make a decision.

As is always the case with Stevens, he backs up a disaster with two good things. However, in a game where turnovers in the opposition's forward 50 are absolute killers, Stevens will need at least that ratio to keep playing. I wouldn't suspect he's in any danger for round 2, but hopefully he ends up sharper for the run. As I said earlier, his second half was already an improvement.

Stevens disposal was a big issue, stood out a lot in the absence of Brad Symes, but still managed more effective than ineffective touches. Who i was really concerned about was Maric, we lost clearance after clearance until Mckernan went in there. I didn't see the seasoned Maric getting around the ground either rather it was young Shaun who kept bobbing up around the ground with a contested mark or link play. Seriously, i am beginning to think Moran is a better option :eek:

Stevens disposal was a big issue, stood out a lot in the absence of Brad Symes, but still managed more effective than ineffective touches. Who i was really concerned about was Maric, we lost clearance after clearance until Mckernan went in there. I didn't see the seasoned Maric getting around the ground either rather it was young Shaun who kept bobbing up around the ground with a contested mark or link play. Seriously, i am beginning to think Moran is a better option :eek:

Watch the last quarter again. Maric played like a man possessed. He tackled, chased, took marks - and the best of all, intercepted a ball bound for Hawthorn's forward line and turned it into a very important goal for us.

I agree he played ordinarily in the first half - let's face it, he wasn't on his own. But I really don't think you could fault his second half - and particularly his final quarter.

We need to find a way for another line breaker into the team. Brodie Martin is a must. Tambling was good but better outside the fifty metre arc where he doesnt need to be as conscious of his man. I think the wing is his position personally. Most of his great work was done forward of centre.
I don't disagree with you.. so the question then becomes: who drops out to bring Martin into the team?

Tambling's R1 performance has ensured that he won't be dropped. That really just leaves Smith, Mackay & Otten as the next most likely candidates. Tough call dropping any of those to rush a 4-game player back into the team.

My guess is that Martin will find himself on the emergency list unless injury strikes down one of the incumbents.

I wouldn't suspect he's in any danger for round 2, but hopefully he ends up sharper for the run.

I don't think anyone is in danger for round 2.:p

Great win by the boys. I was especially impressed by the fact that it was a come from behind win, we haven't seen a lot of those in recent years.

On another note did anyone else notice an unusual amount of stretching done by our players during the game? Also what happened to Mitchell, he disappeared altogether, was he tagged out of it?

I don't disagree with you.. so the question then becomes: who drops out to bring Martin into the team?

Tambling's R1 performance has ensured that he won't be dropped. That really just leaves Smith, Mackay & Otten as the next most likely candidates. Tough call dropping any of those to rush a 4-game player back into the team.

My guess is that Martin will find himself on the emergency list unless injury strikes down one of the incumbents.

Smith was good for a first gamer. But I think he starts again as the sub. Martin can break lines for us better than any , is gutsy a gut runner, and can amass more pocessions than smith. He can also play wing, centre and back just like Smith. Hate to spoil everyones party however if we are truly honest to ourselves he replaces smith. Brodie has played five games and what we forget he was close to best on ground in three of those

Stevens was fine in the second half. It was the first half where he was disappointing. I just worry about his decision-making more than anything else. I don't think it's that he kicks "hospital balls" as much as he takes that extra second to make a decision that allows an opposition player extra time to cover a loose man. In that first half he often put our defenders under enormous pressure by either making the wrong decision, or waiting too long to make a decision.

As is always the case with Stevens, he backs up a disaster with two good things. However, in a game where turnovers in the opposition's forward 50 are absolute killers, Stevens will need at least that ratio to keep playing. I wouldn't suspect he's in any danger for round 2, but hopefully he ends up sharper for the run. As I said earlier, his second half was already an improvement.

WATCH THE REPLAY >>>> WATCH THE REPLAY>>>>>>>>>> WATCH THE REPLAY........... then come back and comment. You guys have not played top class football and dont appreciate the game for all it involves. You all want 18 Dangerfield that are flashy and line breakers. Footy is more than that and stevens is very effective

DMac played with a sore shoulder for most of the night according to Bernie on TFS, so that explains his lack of impact I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WATCH THE REPLAY >>>> WATCH THE REPLAY>>>>>>>>>> WATCH THE REPLAY........... then come back and comment. You guys have not played top class football and dont appreciate the game for all it involves. You all want 18 Dangerfield that are flashy and line breakers. Footy is more than that and stevens is very effective

Um.

I haven't watched a replay yet, so I am just commenting on what I saw while watching the match the first time. I haven't played top class football, either.

In my uneducated opinion, Stevens' decision-making and disposal in the first half was of a standard well below that of his teammates. I think he improved as the game went on.

He's very effective in his role as a negator. The issue is how valuable he is going the other way. In modern AFL (which again, I have not played), you need to be able to do both to play down back.

Uh oh, shut down bigfooty, we haven't all played Professional football so we can't have an opinion.

Hang on.... That means guys like Malthouse and Craig can't have an opinion because they never played truly professional football. Definitely not modern AFL.

Uh oh, shut down bigfooty, we haven't all played Professional football so we can't have an opinion.

Hang on.... That means guys like Malthouse and Craig can't have an opinion because they never played truly professional football. Definitely not modern AFL.

Graham Cornes board.

Graham Cornes board.

Of course you can have an opinion!! Just dont be so quick to Knock people.
Sean Rehn also made the comment when someone rang through this morning knocking Stevens that he thought he was close to Best on Ground. How about Doughtys disposal first quarter, and Tamblings and Ruttens, all made glaring disposal mistakes.

But no there has to be a thread dedicated to Displacing stevens every week.

re Steven's

first half
IMO the key issue was his decision making and this made his disposal look worse than it actually was.....

on 2 or 3 occassions he kicked to a 3 on 1 contest in the opposition favour and because he was unable to pin point his pass it resulted in a easy spoil and take away for the opposition.

re the umpire decision to penalise Stevo for holding the ball out of the ruck contest. IMO this was a poor call by the umpire. Both Maric and his opponent pushed each other under the ball flight and as a result the ball went over the back, Stevens did not go up 3rd up in the contest however he did benefit from the ruckman pushing each other out of position..... what else could a player do in that situation, poor umpire decision for mine

the dropped uncontested mark between wing and HB with Buddy lurking behind was a concern

2nd Half
I thought Steven's improved significantly in the 2nd half and eliminated some of those 1st half errors

there is a big difference between disposal errors, a la Bling, Truck & Dogga and decision making errors. Stevo just made some poor choices, the disposal was then rather irrelevant. He wasn't on his own there, Otten had 2 like it as well and a number of others.

Stevo's history is taking a great mark and then getting a rush of blood and making a stupid decision, that is is problem, is disposal is quite solid. But you know what you get with him and you take the good with the bad. Like Sarge he will be a whipping boy, and at least half the time deservedly so.

Nah, it'll be a four-minute segment. Two dedicated to hardnut Rory Sloane who will now be the subject of Victorian clubs wanting to bring him home and two minutes dedicated to big Shaun McKernan who'll be in the sights of North Melbourne who want him to play out his career at his big brother's club.

Then they'll call David Mackay Van Berlo and cut to an ad break.

Hahahahahaha! Sad but very true.

To anyone at the game:

Was the wind very bad? The commentators talked about it every two minutes as if it was blowing a gale, but there didn't seem to be any noticeable effect on players hair, flags, people's cloths on the boundary etc. Was it windy or not?

To anyone at the game:

Was the wind very bad? The commentators talked about it every two minutes as if it was blowing a gale, but there didn't seem to be any noticeable effect on players hair, flags, people's cloths on the boundary etc. Was it windy or not?

Pretty sure discussing the wind is a Blight favourite. Couldn't count the amount of times he rattles on about it in games.

Of course you can have an opinion!! Just dont be so quick to Knock people.
Sean Rehn also made the comment when someone rang through this morning knocking Stevens that he thought he was close to Best on Ground. How about Doughtys disposal first quarter, and Tamblings and Ruttens, all made glaring disposal mistakes.

But no there has to be a thread dedicated to Displacing stevens every week.

stevens was close to best on ground.

stevens was close to best on ground.

Four first half clangers takes the gloss off of a fair all round performance.

Reilly/Bling close for best, Rutten was solid as a rock and VB was right up there. Stevens fits between them and the rest of the pack (fronted by Dangerfield and Davis).

While there has been a bit of the predictable man love for McKernan, I think his importance to our comeback cannot be underestimated. Generated the drive that Maric was lacking and clunked some crucial marks all over the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gameday has arrived!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back