Gameday: Round 1 - Essendon vs Nth Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd has been killing it playing futher up the ground maybe Johns will come in next week and play at FF.

If Neagle is fit, bring him in, if not replace him with another small (Lovett/Winderlich) and use NLM, McPhee as the other tall forwards, worked very well today.

I think Johns has shown enough times he does not have what is required to play key position forward in the AFL. He is cover for Fletcher/Michael now.

If Neagle is fit, bring him in, if not replace him with another small (Lovett/Winderlich) and use NLM, McPhee as the other tall forwards, worked very well today.

I think Johns has shown enough times he does not have what is required to play key position forward in the AFL. He is cover for Fletcher/Michael now.
Exactly. Good to see someone on here knows what they're talking :thumbsu:

I reckon he's better than a wingman, so composed. Got a lot of class about him.

He'll be the Sam Mitchell type mould, but better, and quicker.

He is just an absolute ball magnet.

Mark it down, he will win the Rising Star award.

Houli played pretty average last year, Sheeds was right to drop him. Played ok today. I know everyone wants to go overboard because he's a new guy to the team, but he can play better. Depmsey too, had a good game in the end, but still needs to improve his awareness, held the ball for too long a few times and turned it over.

Great game. Good to be at the dome against North and WIN! for once! Lloyd was excellent, so was Jobe McVeigh and NLM.

Was a great first game performance. Its a long year but always good to start off with a win, especially after Kangas jumped out of the gates well. The kids deserve their chances. Houli, Dempsey, Jetta and Lonergan all showed some really good signs. Houli's 2nd half was very good, but he will get alot better. Dempsey made a few mistakes but also did plenty of good stuff. Reads the play well and runs off the half back strongly. I think a player not mentioned who played very well for us was Ramanauskas. Very solid overhead and when the balls on the ground. Played like before he first got diagnosed. Great game Rama. Welcome back.

Rama refuses to miss targets. Has composure which is lacking in many of our players. Love the bloke. Personally I thought the atmosphere was terrible today but perhaps that was because I was sitting down the North end:eek: We play exciting footy which is brilliant to watch. Commend Knights on his first game and hopefully there are plenty more wins to come. Dempsey played well today and Houli was good. Didnt see much of Lonergan tbh. Lucas going down is terrible, but at least one of Neagle/Gumbleton will now get their chance over the next couple of weeks. Btw does anybody know how Gumbleton is coming along? He has had a solid 5-6 weeks off so I assume his hamstring is 100%. McVeigh was a ball magnet and has really asserted himself over the past year or so and is developing into a brilliant footballer. Lloyd is pure class. Talk of him being underdone but he well and truly dismissed those rumours today. Flecther I thought was relatively quiet. I was at the game but didnt see Nash often. Anyone see how he went?
All in all a promising game. We can expect many more exciting moments this season from the young and pacy Bombers:)

Show a bit of faith mate. Sure he's been at the club for a while but he's only had about 2 seasons where he has actually been fit and since he's been fit and playing down back, he's shown quite a bit.

Who's going to replace Mal and Fletch down back besides Ryder? Johns has shown more than most of the other young backman and has shown great improvement since he's been playing down back so should definately be sticking around for another season or two because he's probably the best option to take over Mal's position when he retires.

there's a young bloke called tayte pears who looks the next darren glass in the making. gun defender mark my words.

there's a young bloke called tayte pears who looks the next darren glass in the making. gun defender mark my words.
Looks like a great talent, but he's 17 and KP's take a while to develop so it's unlikely that he would be able to step into Mal's position in 1-2 years time and do well as a 18/19yo.

Johns is our best bet to fill the void down at FB when Mal retires, whilst Pears in a few years time will probably be worked into the team as a 3rd tall like Ryder did whilst Johns is holding down FB.

You need 3 talls in the backline, and Ryder, Johns and Pears are our best and most likely options. Can't imagine Lee, Hooker, Daniher, Chartress or Dick getting a gig ahead of these 3 in the future that's for sure.

Shmick - Ryder did (step in at a young age), Fletch I'm sure you know won a flag as a schoolboy. From memory Glass played a few games in his teens as well
It's not ridiculous - if Pears is good enough & what I've seen suggest he may well be - he'll play games. If anything, the modern (more aerobic compared to strength & biff) game suits the youngster more than in previous years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shmick - Ryder did (step in at a young age), Fletch I'm sure you know won a flag as a schoolboy. From memory Glass played a few games in his teens as well
It's not ridiculous - if Pears is good enough & what I've seen suggest he may well be - he'll play games. If anything, the modern (more aerobic compared to strength & biff) game suits the youngster more than in previous years
You can't really rely on him stepping in and taking the #1 forward at the age of 18/19 and hold down full back though can you.

Ryder didn't play on the #1 forward did he, he played as a 3rd tall with Fletch and Mal guiding him which is what Pears should be doing in the coming years instead of chucking the kid in the deep end like we did with Keps.

Momen of the match for me was Flecher leading out from FF and kicking a goal from around 55, god i wish fletcher would go foward more often :D

Well done guys.

We were pathetic but you guys were great once you got into gear, ran us off our feet.

Lot to look forward to, good luck for 08.

While I'm delighted with Essendon's win, there were two North players that impressed me numbers 11 and Lindsay both look lively and Thompson looked good in the first term, the lost of Corey Jones hurt North.

Over all I'm very happy with the win!

Dempsey takes a contested mark on the half backline when out of position, gets it off to Houli who dashes through the middle and kicks a it long, very long, Laycock is spoiled but Jetta plucks it out of the pack and whips it out to Lovett-Murray who goals...

My favourite play of the day!

Momen of the match for me was Flecher leading out from FF and kicking a goal from around 55, god i wish fletcher would go foward more often :D

Good to here from you danzan.Long time no hear...

Fletcher's goal was a fitting end to a great match by the EFC. Never before have so many 'experts' tipped against us in a rd1 match and after a nightmare first half,our young boys in Houli,Dempsey,Nash,Jetta,Davey and Lonergan showed what this club is going to be about in the years to come.

To see Dempsey battle it out with a champion like Shannon Grant and get on top of him in the end..well,it gives you hope that this new breed of Bombers are on the right track.

Rama was sensational today. That fist of his coming over packs is a sight to see. He's almost right back to where he left off before that pesky cancer scare interupted his brilliant career. He is an EFC champion..even if he finished playing tomorrow.

Hille played well. About time too. Watson showed again how important he is to this side with his supreme handpassing out of the packs..workhorse.

I was nearly ill at halftime at the thought of Scott Lucas out for half a season. But to see how those players responded to the pressure that was put on them by North in the first half, to see how they attacked the ball and tackled the North players with such aggression...we have a lot to look forward to.

To think that Lovett,Winderlich and Welchy wern't playing gives me great confidence that we can cover injuries a bit this year..if need be.
Selection problems in rd 2..thats a good problem to have.

I can't believe I'm saying this but C.Johns can now come back to the side if need be and play around CHB or CHF. Or better yet, Lloydy could be our new CHF with either Johns,laycock,Hille or Neagle at FF.

Houli just looks like he's ready to play the next 200 games in a row,barring injury. I've never seen a young player so at ease on the footy field.

Dyson was disappointing...again.

What a win!! Nobody but us Essendon supporters know how good it was to get that win under our belts. A new era,a new dawn (all that crap)....and how sweet it was:thumbsu:

Good to here from you danzan.Long time no hear...

Fletcher's goal was a fitting end to a great match by the EFC. Never before have so many 'experts' tipped against us in a rd1 match and after a nightmare first half,our young boys in Houli,Dempsey,Nash,Jetta,Davey and Lonergan showed what this club is going to be about in the years to come.

To see Dempsey battle it out with a champion like Shannon Grant and get on top of him in the end..well,it gives you hope that this new breed of Bombers are on the right track.

Rama was sensational today. That fist of his coming over packs is a sight to see. He's almost right back to where he left off before that pesky cancer scare interupted his brilliant career. He is an EFC champion..even if he finished playing tomorrow.

Hille played well. About time too. Watson showed again how important he is to this side with his supreme handpassing out of the packs..workhorse.

I was nearly ill at halftime at the thought of Scott Lucas out for half a season. But to see how those players responded to the pressure that was put on them by North in the first half, to see how they attacked the ball and tackled the North players with such aggression...we have a lot to look forward to.

To think that Lovett,Winderlich and Welchy wern't playing gives me great confidence that we can cover injuries a bit this year..if need be.
Selection problems in rd 2..thats a good problem to have.

I can't believe I'm saying this but C.Johns can now come back to the side if need be and play around CHB or CHF. Or better yet, Lloydy could be our new CHF with either Johns,laycock,Hille or Neagle at FF.

Houli just looks like he's ready to play the next 200 games in a row,barring injury. I've never seen a young player so at ease on the footy field.

Dyson was disappointing...again.

What a win!! Nobody but us Essendon supporters know how good it was to get that win under our belts. A new era,a new dawn (all that crap)....and how sweet it was:thumbsu:

Please don't spoil a good post with such rubbish.

That spud couldn't get a kick in a street fight and there have been very few Essendon players that have been lucky enough to pull on our cherished jumper with less ability.

Please don't spoil a good post with such rubbish.

That spud couldn't get a kick in a street fight and there have been very few Essendon players that have been lucky enough to pull on our cherished jumper with less ability.
Would have to agree with merve here, you should of said someting like "Now Neagle can come in and show off some of that form we saw in the pre season".

P.s Good to see someone actually noticed i was gone :p

Dempsey takes a contested mark on the half backline when out of position, gets it off to Houli who dashes through the middle and kicks a it long, very long, Laycock is spoiled but Jetta plucks it out of the pack and whips it out to Lovett-Murray who goals...

My favourite play of the day!

That was mine too, equal with Davey stripping the North player then from the pockett kicking a great goal

That was mine too, equal with Davey stripping the North player then from the pockett kicking a great goal

That was great but my favorite was Jetta tackling Pratt in the pocket, gathers runs along the boundary handballs in to Lloyd, snap GOAL!

Would have to agree with merve here, you should of said someting like "Now Neagle can come in and show off some of that form we saw in the pre season".

P.s Good to see someone actually noticed i was gone :p

Where have you been btw?

Merv. After seeing Johns play against WC the other week in the backline and seeing how more confident he looked with less pressure on himself...all I'm saying is I'm prepared to give him another go.

If Bolton can have 30 lives,Johns deserves to have at least 15..:p:

I'm not so sure NLM will continue his outstanding rd 1 form for the duration of the season..but you never know.

We better start looking at who is gunna replace Scotty as our no1 target to go for at CHF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gameday: Round 1 - Essendon vs Nth Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back