Garlick Resigns...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, someone can. Campbell Rose.;)

My previous comment was taking the piss out of another poster's spelling error though. I dont think Garlick did a terrible job (we are after all still in operation and look like we still have a sustainable future - which is really the only important KPI of a Bulldogs CEO). However, he never inspired me with confidence, and doesn't have anything in particular to hang his hat on.

I dont think he'll be a CEO in the future, lets just put it that way.

Just tired of a person being amazing one week then they leave and they were never any good. It happened with Eade, Smorgon, Fantasia, Cameron, Davoren, Drain, Clayton, McCartney, and yes even Rose.

People turned against Rose once he left? News to me as all I remember were people lamenting the loss of probably the best businessman we ever had.

Just tired of a person being amazing one week then they leave and they were never any good. It happened with Eade, Smorgon, Fantasia, Cameron, Davoren, Drain, Clayton, McCartney, and yes even Rose.

Agree with the sentiments, but you forgot Ryan Griffen....or did he deserve denigration?

Griffen got what he did because he left they way he did. I'm far more forgiving of that. Even then I'm not entirely happy with the revisionism about Griffen the player.

People turned against Rose once he left? News to me as all I remember were people lamenting the loss of probably the best businessman we ever had.
The phrase "overinflated pencil pusher" was used.

I agree. I've never heard/read a bad word about Campbell Rose. In fact, quite the opposite insofar as people would hate to think where the club would have ended up without him.

I've also not seen anyone change their stance on Griffen as a player...he deserves everything he gets for the way he left - but I haven't seen anyone translate that into a denigration of his on field performances for us.

Say what you will about Simon's tenure as CEO of our club but lets not forget that on his watch we were able to resource our football department like never before.... He also secured our major sponsor to a long term extension (he was integral in getting them onboard in the first place) Sure there were some things that could have been done better and his lack of experience was exposed at times but take it from me as someone who knows him well he loves this club as much as anyone on this board.....

Degree of hate from me for recent unexpected departures:

Gryphon

daylight

still daylight

several centuries of daylight

a few millenia of daylight

Um, did someone else depart the club recently?

(I'm ambivalent on Macartney, Jones and Tutt, wish Cooney and Garlick all the best and thank them for their service. We had a CEO a number of years ago who was well out of his depth. In comparison, Garlick is Brian Cook.)

Cheerio...

The phrase "overinflated pencil pusher" was used.

Most people were happy with Rose at departure, many more than Garlick.

Youre dreaming if you think that at a footy club which has not won a flag in eons, that there will be a consensus and support of all outgoing staff. There just wont. No matter what they have done some people will blame them for the lack of success we have, often with no more than an intuitive dislike for them, or a need to scapegoat. But I think it is more than this in this case.

Garlick may have been ok, but he ultimately failed, and I will explain why.

The inside word we have suggests that Gordon sacked Garlick and that Garlick did not meet expectations. This means that he (i) had communication issues and could not effectively sell his workplace contribution (leading to a perception from Gordon of ii-iv), (ii) was simply not competent enough to perform his duties effectively, (iii) Gordo was unreasonable and expected too much of him, or (iv) he was not calm enough in crises. Take your pick. He was sacked. It isn't a sacking like in other professional contexts where there is a restructure, or not enough money to fund him. He lost the confidence of our president (or perhaps the AFL) for one of those four reasons and was considered not good enough. No matter what the case, that never happens to genuinely quality operators like Rose was.

Im not going to go easy on him or think that this is a positive outcome. It wasn't and now we need someone better.

Last edited:
I think that anyone who has represented this club whole heartedly either on or off field deserves our thanks & respect.
(except that guy who was stealing from the club).

I'm all for fair and honest discussion on anyone, but sometimes we tend to take on the tone of a jilted girlfriend on here.

As for Griffen - I don't think anyone can question that at some point, and probably for most of his time with us he did love this club. He probably still does.

I also don't think anyone can question that he was not the only one to blame for the split.

Yes the way he left was horrible and unfair, but to move on you need to let go of all that. I understand that that can take time.

I choose to remember him stepping GAJ, running around opponents like witches hats & drilling goals from outside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that anyone who has represented this club whole heartedly either on or off field deserves our thanks & respect.

I'm all for fair and honest discussion on anyone, but sometimes we tend to take on the tone of a jilted girlfriend on here.

As for Griffen - I don't think anyone can question that at some point, and probably for most of his time with us he did love this club. He probably still does.

I also don't think anyone can question that he was not the only one to blame for the split.

Yes the way he left was horrible and unfair, but to move on you need to let go of all that. I understand that that can take time.

I choose to remember him stepping GAJ, running around opponents like witches hats & drilling goals from outside 50.

Oh, I remember Gryphon's footballing ability alright, don't you worry about that.

Unfortunately his ability to be a total campaigner is more recent in my memory.

I'm not revising my memory of him as a footballer - but what he did a few months back now overshadows any contribution he previously made to this club in my view, as sad as it is. I've moved on - he's a very good ex-player, ex-captain, and a complete and utter campaigner. Now, onto 2015, and better days and a captain with integrity...

Last edited:

Pretty much all I was saying. Collectively can we all just take the high road. Just for once.

Oh, I remember Gryphon's footballing ability alright, don't you worry about that.

Unfortunately his ability to be a total campaigner is more recent in my memory.

I'm not revising my memory of him as a footballer - but what he did a few months back now overshadows any contribution he previously made to this club in my view, as sad as it is. I've moved on - he's a very good ex-player, ex-captain, and a complete and utter campaigner. Now, onto 2015, and better days and a captain with integrity...
Sorry Ivan, didn't mean my post to come across as a response to yours, more the general tone of the board.

I understand your position and wouldn't expect anyone to change the way they feel about this, just wanted to put forward an alternative view.

I'm just hoping that whoever comes after Garlick brings a breathe of fresh air to the club.

Pity his predecessor, though- perhaps the club tired of smelling the roses. We'll need someone who chooses beveridges wisely, we don't want to smell port.

Sorry Ivan, didn't mean my post to come across as a response to yours, more the general tone of the board.

I understand your position and wouldn't expect anyone to change the way they feel about this, just wanted to put forward an alternative view.

No offence taken, TBOW.

I understand where you're coming from, and in terms of Garlick, I recognise his contributions, and thank him wholeheartedly for his service. While probably lacking in experience, I'm sure he performed to the best of his ability, and wish him nothing but good fortune with his future. After all, apart from being an ex-CEO, he is an ex-player, and one who made the most of his abilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlick Resigns...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back