Gary Ablett Jnr - All Aust NOT !

Remove this Banner Ad

Insider said:
He is a very good AFL footballer but he is not in the league of small forwards who have been selected as All-Aust in the past. Farmer kicked 76 goals in 2000, Mercuri kicked 32 goals and averaged 21 possessions in 99 and Nathan Brown kicked 57 goals averaging 18 possessions a game in 2002. These are the types of figures for an All-Aust.

How many goals have any of these guys kicked while wearing their AA guernsey? :rolleyes:

your a **************** mate. Have u got something against the Ablett name have you? Snr must have kicked a few too many goals against your team in his time did he? Give the kid a break. Although i don't think he is quite an all australian this year (will be many years in the future) i think you should actually watch him play (which i don't think you have) and stop looking at just statistics they can be very deceptive which is the case with Jnr. look at his goal assists and add them onto his goal tally and u'll be suprised how many he could have kicked if he was a "hog".

Dinga_19 said:
your a **************** mate. Have u got something against the Ablett name have you? Snr must have kicked a few too many goals against your team in his time did he? Give the kid a break. Although i don't think he is quite an all australian this year (will be many years in the future) i think you should actually watch him play (which i don't think you have) and stop looking at just statistics they can be very deceptive which is the case with Jnr. look at his goal assists and add them onto his goal tally and u'll be suprised how many he could have kicked if he was a "hog".

Don't look at stats or look at the stats that you want him to?

rampantswan said:
He could adapt to the Hybrid game well.
He will adapt well to anything he wants to adapt to. Such is the skill he posseses. Just like his dad :)

"Gary Ablett could win an FA cup for any side in England, he could beat Greg Norman at golf, he can play tennis, he can do anything." Ted Whitten ;)

Tas said:
For the amount of the ball Ablett gets he is very good in his position. If Matera can maintain his excellent level of performances once the Eagles have established a good bunch of tall forwards then he will also have the same kind of excellence in my opinion.

Matera is fantastic and would also love him in my side, but I tend to expct those who are the target of a lot of forward 50 thursts to kick a lot of goals because they are the target. A true rover and crummer is not the target of many if any forward 50 thrusts.

In 1999 when Cummings won the goal kicking, Matera still managed 51 goals as a crumbing small forward. I think it just shows how good he is that he can kick goals costistantly being both the crummer and the main target.

on Ablett, he has been very good this year but i don't think he's quite AA. Should get a few before his career is out though and he is one of the players who i really love to watch.

I think he is good but am seriously surprised at him being mentioned in all australian circles. Maybe its cos all the small forwards have played like a dump getting flushed this year.

Ablett is a gun.

Whether people think it because of his name or not really doesn't bother me.

The continual degradation of him just proves how good he really is. He has become a threat to most, a player opposition supporters cringe with fear when he is in possession of the ball; and i love it.

He most certainly deserves to be in contention this season, and will be first selected next year. So it doesn't worry me.

The real issue here is Insider's obsession with Geelong. All of his posts have been Geelong-related, yet they aren't positive, always putting down the club or it's players.

Time to get a life I think, Insider.

As for Gazz, I think Chappy has had a better year but even though Gazz doesn't rack up the big stats (Which was Insider's silly argument. Gazz not getting 20+ touches as a forward pocket) does not mean he hasn't done his job. It's his ability to find space and set up goals for his teammates or the relentless pressure he puts on opposition backmen forcing them into crucial turnovers which make him stand out. He may not pick up 20 odd touches but his 10-15 touches and 2-3 goals are pure quality and it is quality not quantity which makes a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JUBJUB said:
If Davey was white,he wouldn't be in the AFL.

See, I can make comments that are just as stupid as Red Devil. :rolleyes:

Actually no, you can't.

I don't mean that harshly, but that post is stupid, even in jest.

jess-jess said:
In 1999 when Cummings won the goal kicking, Matera still managed 51 goals as a crumbing small forward. I think it just shows how good he is that he can kick goals costistantly being both the crummer and the main target.

on Ablett, he has been very good this year but i don't think he's quite AA. Should get a few before his career is out though and he is one of the players who i really love to watch.

Don't get me wrong, i love Matera and the way he plays and is an excellent goal sneak and deserves his AA selection in 2000, 2002 and 2003. I'd put both Matera and Ablett in my team if I was picking it.

I just think Ablett is the better 'complete' player because a) I dont think the Geelong midfield is as good as West Coast's and hasn't been for many years so he doesn't get the same quality of delivery, and b) I think Ablett does much more than kick goals. Matera is an awesome finisher but Ablett is very good at creating goals for other players. Finally, c) Matera is at his peak, we have yet to see the best of Ablett in my opinion.

Still love to watch Matera and groan when he plays against us because we struggle to hold good small forwards. I just think Ablett is a very good player.

Watch the geelong v fremantle game and tell me he is not better than matera or milne. Ablett is a gun has the perfect body for football just like his dad. The reason he has only kicked 31 goals, is because have you seen where he lines up??? in the centre you twit.

football brain, clean skills, strong mark, goalsense and team player. And for all you judging people out there he is only what 20/21 he is hardly COMPLETED YET! Wait till he is he will be very hard to match up on.

"Gary Ablett Jnr has only kicked 31 goals this season. People tell me the reason for the lower goal tally than people like Matera, Milne, Akermanis, Welsh, Farmer, Williams, Motlop & Chapman (who are all small forwards) is because he spends time in the midfield but he has only averaged 13.5 possessions a game. His tackling his fantastic as is his forward pressure but for him to be considered All-Australian is a disgrace."

As the Chinese victims said of the Death By A Thousand Cuts: it's not so much how many you get, but where (and when) you get them.

Dinga_19 said:

You call me a ******* ... yet you support what I say. I said he was a very good AFL player but is not AA material which is exactly what you have said before ... I AGREE with you. The stats are simply there to back up my argument against those who believe he is a AA player !

At the end of the day Id rather have Ablett than any other forward pocket player in the competition AA or not. OH and Chappy and Steve Johnson arent too bad either

Tas said:
Don't get me wrong, i love Matera and the way he plays and is an excellent goal sneak and deserves his AA selection in 2000, 2002 and 2003.

Matera is at his peak, we have yet to see the best of Ablett in my opinion.

Matera's only AA was in 2003.

you're right about Matera being at his peak, that's why he deserves AA this year for kicking 61 goals. Ablett will no doubt improve and be a better player as his career goes on but at the moment, Matera is better for the simple fact that as a small forward he has kicked more goals. Ablett is more versitile however you have to be a very good player to carve out a successful career like Matera has playing solely as a forward pocket. Going on this year's form alone, not on their potential, i think Matera has earned a spot as the AA small forward ahead of Ablett.

If Ablett does not make AA, who cares? Does not mean he isn't good. Whenever he goes near the ball, opossition get scared. Watching him play is awesome, because he is a great player. Gets the crowd excited llike Hird, Judd and Akermanis do. If he does make AA I will not be suprised but it would not be an injustice if he didn't.

rampantswan said:
If Ablett does not make AA, who cares? Does not mean he isn't good. Whenever he goes near the ball, opossition get scared. Watching him play is awesome, because he is a great player. Gets the crowd excited llike Hird, Judd and Akermanis do. If he does make AA I will not be suprised but it would not be an injustice if he didn't.

It's funny how Geelong supporters have a cry when people say Ablett's overrated, yet you name him along side James Hird, Chris Judd and Jason Akermanis..

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Ablett Jnr - All Aust NOT !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back